“Excellent hotel with reasonable rates”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Atlanta
“Excellent hotel with reasonable rates”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Williamsburg, where we stayed at this hotel. Over all, we were very impressed. Since I am in a wheelchair, we stayed in their wheelchair accessible room with a king size bed and a roll-in shower.

The room was very nice and clean, as was the entire hotel. The thing that immediately caught my attention about the room was the size. In most wheelchair accessible hotel rooms, the size is adequate, but I still find myself being careful not to bump into things. In this room, there was about size feet between the end of the bed and the dresser, and there was plenty of space to comfortable get the wheelchair alongside the bed on both sides. At one end of the room, there was several feet of extra space, creating a large open area that made it easy to maneuver in my chair. The extra space in this room would have made me much more comfortable even if I was not in a wheelchair. The room also had amenities such as a large HD tv, refridgerator, and microwave. I was also surprised to find that the bed had both soft and firm pillows, which I've never seen in any other hotel. The service was very good, and Bistro 515 restaurant had decent food at a reasonable price.

I only had a few criticisms. There was something wrong with the lock on our bathroom door, so the first time we closed that door, with nobody in the bathroom, the door locked and we couldn't open it. We notified the front desk, and in a few minutes they had maintenance there to look at it. They showed us how to unlock the bathroom door from the outside, by inserting the edge of a coin in a groove in the handle and turning it.

The only other critism I had concerned the roll-in shower. It was adequate but could have been better designed. It was small, taking up basically the same space as a tub. There was a seat attached to the wall, which was good, but it was small to fit on the wall at one end of the shower. It was at the opposite end of the shower from the showerhead, so I was unable to adjust the water temp, etc. while sitting on the seat. Also there was a grab bar on the wall over the seat, which made it necessary for me to sit near the front edge of the seat. As a result, I had to be careful not to lose my balance and fall forward.

These issues with the shower would not prevent my from staying there again. My wife was able to help me, but these things could be more of a problem for people in a wheelchair who may be traveling alone. It's also good that they have a shower seat attached to the wall, because I typically don't see features like that except in more expensive hotel chains.

The location of the hotel was also very good. It is about a mile from Colonial Williamsburg and also near a wide variety of restaurants, etc. Jamestown and Yorktown are only a few miles away.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rtrollins
HMPHotels, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear rtrollins,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay in our hotel. We are so happy that you were happy with your stay. Thank you for the suggestions about the bathroom accessible shower. We have passed these comments on to our management so they can look into it. Your suggestions help us improve our hotel for you and for future guests to our hotel.

Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will come stay with us again in the future.

Holiday Inn Williamsburg Historic Gateway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Wonderful hotel, big nice rooms. Great location, very convenient to Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown Settlement. Everything was perfect about our visit. Great value!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Susan B
Dear Susan B,

Thank you for telling us about your recent visit. We appreciate all of your comments. We will pass them on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay.

We appreciate all of your comments. We hope that you will come stay with us again.

Edenton, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Check in was fast.The room was clean, other than a little dust there was no problems, believe me I looked. Staff was very friendly.Stacy at the bar was very nice and can mix up a pretty good drink.I did not try the restaurant so I cant comment on that

Room Tip: "top floor is best"
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank motman25
Dear Motman25,

Thank you for telling us about your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments, and will pass them on to our staff. We thank you for telling us about your concern about the dust in your room. We are currently working with our housekeepers to correct that. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay.

Thanks again for your comments. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Warrenton, Virginia
Reviewed 19 March 2012

As stated, there are tons of of hotels to choose from. We choose this based on Trip Advisor reviews. I would not rate it a 5, as it was what I expected but did not exceed. We had some LOUD people on our floor that woke us at 2am. Called front desk and they promptly took care of it.
Rooms were nice with the extra sitting area and TV away from the beds. Bathroom was bright and adequate. Not sure I would stay again, would consider a different brand for the same or less price.

Room Tip: We had top floor (5th)
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lfinks
Dear lfinks,

Thank you for telling us about your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments. We are sorry that you were not happy with your stay. Sorry that you had a loud floor. We are currently looking into this situation. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. We hope that you will give us another chance.

We hope that you will consider us again. Thank you for your time.

Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Williamsburg is overrun with similar new hotels. This one is a good choice. Of several hotels on a trip, this one is not memorable - good or bad.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank onthesameday
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Another nice Holiday Inn. Clean and good service. I don't rate any Holiday Inn 5* as most that I have been to are fairly similar. As a business traveler it served it purpose.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Cmcraven
HMPHotels, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear Cmcraven,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments and will pass them on to our staff. We appreciate your business.

Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Williamsburg Historic Gateway
Clearlake, California
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I had two kids with me, I wanted a safe place to stay for a night, te front desk Kristen was at the desk she looked up the rate but gave my kids the wifi code to keep them occupied she gave me a rate of 81. Signed me up for priority club and gave me an upgrade to a suiteFOR THE SAME RATE!! So I could have a break after traveling 18 hours with a 12 year old daughter and 14 year old son. She gave us our room keys check in was fast. Our room was clean and I loved having my own private space! I came down to see if food places were open at 1230 am and she went online placed an order for dominoes pizzeria. You cant get staff like that. I called down asking for pillows.and extra blankets and she asked if we needed.anything else. She brought up more.than what was needed asked.about the room. When I told.her I.was checking out at 5 am to be back on the road she remembered because in the morning she made.coffee for me to get back on the road told me where I could get a quick good breakfast.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank amanda s
Dear Amanda S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad that we could make you and your family very happy. We are so happy that we could accommodate you. You and your family are always welcome to stay with us.

Thanks again for your comments. We hope that you will stay with us again.

Holiday Inn & Suites Williamsburg Historic