“You get what you pay for.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Williamsburg

Howard Johnson Inn Williamsburg
Ranked #66 of 76 Hotels in Williamsburg
Palmyra, Virginia
“You get what you pay for.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

I rented three rooms for one night (yesterday) and here are my thoughts on this Hotel. I got a great price for 39.99 each room for the night. I was a little leery because of the bad reviews on here. No, it's not the Ritz Carlton but for 40 bucks we got a clean room, clean sheets, bed linens, clean towels and clean overall room. Yes, ths hotel needs some serious renovations. It is outdated and needs remodeling. But....for the amount of time we spent there, it was fine. It was quiet in the hallways and the bed was really firm and the big oversized pillows comfortable. The bathroom was very clean but outdated. So that is what I feel about the hotel itself.

Now the staff...very indifferent. Not rude, not warm either. When I got my rooms, I was given 306, 308 and 310. I was thankful for rooms together. When we got upstairs, 308 and 310 were fine....306 was being renovated.....we went down to get another room.....never got an I'm sorry for our mistake, we were just given the keys for room 304. Room 304 was also being renovated. so my son-in-law goes back down and they said they had no way of knowing what rooms were being renovated (??? no way???) and told him they didn't have anything close by. After persisting, he was given keys to room 309 (across this hall). This was acceptable, but again, no sorries, no anything.

Husband went down to breakfast said it was just bread and a toaster and cereal. We ended up eating at cracker barrell.

The parking lot is very small, luckily the hotel wasn't filled up.

So in summary - the rooms were not dirty, just a bit old with need of repair. Staff - not interested in customer service obviously and perhaps could use some training in that area.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank Ollymo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

I booked this trip to Virginia to attend Top Gun. It was a last minute hotel booking through Hotel Planner and the rate was good/cheap. I was not able to rent a car so we caught a cab from Newport News for $49 and arrived at 945am. Upon check-in, we were greeted with a firm, no-check-in policy until 3pm. I was in shock. Never in my life was I ever told there was no check in until way later. I even offered to pay for another day. The guy at the front desk said the maids needed to clean the rooms. My son and I had to find things to do in almost 100 degree, extremely humid weather, no car, didn't know cost of bus or routes. Front desk did not have much info on anything, except to offer us a Williamsburg magazine with maps. We just arrived from Hawaii after a 16 hour flight with hardly any sleep. After check in, we were getting situated in our room and my son got locked in the bathroom, door knob broke. I had to use Do Not Disturb card to get him out. Our room was not cleaned the first day and only the trash and towels were changed thereafter. The pool was not open until day 3 of our stay. They ran out of quarters for washing laundry and asked me to go to McDonalds for change. The door knob was finally repaired on our last night there. The best part of the stay was the proximity to Warhill Sports complex. All in all, I was glad my husband did not come with us because there was some other guests being yelled at for taking hotel towels out and threatened to be charged and it wasn't a pretty sight.

4 Thank resikobi
Reisterstown, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights recently. I usually seek out reviews for hotels but was incredibly busy when we were planning this trip and let my husband handle the accommodations. I've learned that one of us better read some reviews before we make a reservation.

I did not get the sense that anyone here was interested in extending customer service. The building is definitely in need of renovations but I would say that the staff seemed indifferent. No one was outright rude but they didn't seem to care about being friendly or helpful either. We were initially placed in a smoking room by mistake. Not only did it reek of cigarette smoke, but it was overall very dingy and whatever was used to try to mask the cigarettes was putrid-smelling. When we switched to a non-smoking room, it was definitely cleaner and more pleasant but it still showed signs of aging. The whirlpool did not work in our room much to our dismay. Also, it did not seem that anything was done to clean the room; the beds were made daily and towels were provided but it did not appear to be any cleaner. Used cups that we left out were still sitting on the vanity. I have had things thrown out by maid staff in the past that I did not intend to throw away so if I think it might be, I tend to put an item in a drawer. That was definitely not a concern here.
Like others have said, I was disappointed in the continental breakfast. I understand that contintental breakfast does not include bacon, eggs, etc., but I expected more. There were no bagels or options or bread for toast. There was only white bread. There were the same type of danishes and muffins and cereals daily (Frosted Flakes and Raisin Bran). I can eat Raisin Bran and will on occasion at home but I don't usually eat it every day. Once again, more variety would have been nice.
This location is not far from Busch Gardens, Water Country and Colonial Williamsburg which was the whole point of the trip. That would be the best thing that we liked abou the hotel. There are better hotel choices on Richmond Road as it least one reviewer has stated. I did not like the shabby state of this hotel.

1 Thank Kadi69
Johnson City, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

I accessed this motel through what must have been a bogus web site. It had a high rating and excellent reviews. When we arrived the place was run down, the staff was rude, the pool was out of service, the air conditioning barely worked (you could get cool if you stood right over the unit), the hot tub didn't work. The wonderful breakfast they advetised consisted of toast and some fruit. Our stay at his hotel was a total disaster. My recommendation...... don't even think about it......just move on!!!!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!!!
2 Thank Zman35
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

Well what can i say. My fault i should have paid attention to the reviews. Being the type of person that i am. i am willing to overlook and give the people or business the benefit of the doubt. My husband and I stayed during the week of the 4th of july, and it truly was a bang!!!!!!!!. We stayed on the third floor near the rear of the building in room 328 king size bed. The hotel itself, is in the need of some serious updating, upgrading you name it. rugs in the hallways has serious carpet stains, tile is torn near the ice machine and vending machines. Not to mention the room, the bed was not that bad but, the mattress was worn coming apart from the bedframe. Bathroom, is very old.....the sink was sinking it looked as thought it was trying to hold together with some kind of putty. Housekeeping, did not do a good job keeping the room clean, made the bed and that's it. i tested the housekeeper just to see if they are truly cleaning the rooms as they are required to. i left a small piece of paper on the floor, and wouldn't you know for the time we were there it was never picked up nor vaccum. Oh?????? the breakfast, horrible......how can you run an establishment and can't even offer your hotel guests breakfast as it was gone......nothing even hot to eat all cold foods. My husband and I went next door to a place called Hot Stacks pancake house, and believe me it was certaintly worth it.......wish only we had that place here in the beantown. The hotel manager and workers were semi pleasant, did not interact with the customer nor answer questions about the area and did not honor my 4th night free, what customer service is this........they get and "F" from me if you can read between the lines. So to all of you future folks who is looking to visit the williamsburg area, please do not bother to give your business to HJ on Richmond Rd. There are much better hotels further down Richmond Rd in which i wish i stayed. Lesson has been learned. Not so happy customer Boston, MA

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank doll99
Brookeville, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

I was very worried about this hotel based upon previous reviews. Our two night stay was fine. Our rooms were clean, no bugs as previous reviews stated. Overall, good value for the price

Outside of hotel looking old but inside was fine. Pool small but fine for kids. No hot food for breakfast. Mcdonalds is next to hotel and we used our room key for a free sandwich each day for breakfast.

Hotel is away from main downtown Williamsburg. Only 10 minute drive to Williamsburg attractions and 15 to busch gardens

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank ken41022
Midlothian, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

Went for an overnight getaway. The room was clean - king size bed, HUGE whirlpool tub, fridge & microwave in the room. The pool was great, really enjoyed that. Right in the heart of everything Williamsburg has to offer!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple