“Onerous Cancellation policy”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Wytheville
Tampa, Florida
“Onerous Cancellation policy”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

COMPLAINT - FULL charge Penalty for cancellation even 3 weeks in advance. I can not believe you allow and support a cancellation policy that is this punitive.

Today is Sept 24, the reservation is for October 15 at the Wytheville, VA, Country Inn & Suites location

When I called this morning, 3 weeks in advance, to cancel and get a refund I was told of this onerous policy. The reservation agent checked with the manager of the property and and indicated the manager told her to allow cancellation but with the penalty. While I acknowledge I now see it stated on my confirmation sheet, I am dumbfounded as I , as would most customers, assumed a fairly standard cancellation policy followed by your industry and even most of your properties. My experience has always been that this strict of a penalty is usually applied on very short notice cancellations, not well in advance.

Even though I told them to keep the reservation open (no sense in cancelling if I still have to pay for it) I still desire a Refund with my cancellation, but may likely leave the room empty before I would afford you the opportunity to rent it to some one else.

I was planning to book to another property that is part of the Carlson group to replace this stay, but you can bet that will not happen on this trip, nor ever again. Hampton, here I come.

I find this onerous penalty practice UNACCEPTABLE and will be voicing this concern to every travel related site I can find, including the BBB.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
14 Thank Robert T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Fort Lee, Virginia
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stopped here on our way back from Nashville. Very clean, nice sized double queen room, bathroom rather small, but adequate. Friendly staff, though I was thrown off by the breakfast attendant asking me if grits could be reheated & served again next day. Bless her heart, she was new & not Southern. Overall, a good hotel & pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank armyhousewife
Fairfax Station, VA
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I specifically selected this hotel based on trip advisor and other reviews I found despite it not having a restaurant within walking distance. The staff were fantastic. Belinda was delightful and very welcoming after a long day of travel. She was extremely helpful, friendly and had a great sense of humor. I appreciated being able to get fresh fruit and beverages from the dining area upon my late arrival. She suggested a wonderful Chinese restaurant for take out. Be sure to order two dishes or they won't deliver. The food was quite good and delivered relatively fast. Other staff who went well out of their way to be of help were Judy Anne - the breakfast/dining staffer and Becky who kept that front reception area spotless, gave great directions, and had a wonderful smile. (I appreciate hotels who have staff that are familiar with the vicinity. I have stayed at hotels recently where the staff were so new and/or just weren't capable of telling me anything about the location of the hotel.)

The hotel is well maintained and has wine available for purchase which I thought was interesting for that area. There is a great front porch with large white rocking chairs that I used as I waited for the storms to pass by before heading out. The business center was sufficient. I'd stay here again just to talk to the staff. They were real down home and friendly folks. I hope their manager Nick Patel appreciates them and gives them a raise. It's employees like them that would convince me to visit again.

Room Tip: Give the Chinese delivery a try.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Finiky
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 23 June 2011

This was our first stay at Country Inn and Suites on a trip from FL to OH. Front desk service was very friendly and efficient, helping us to find a great dinner at the Log Cabin Restaurant, letting us know about the amenities, decently priced, and comfortable rooms. Also loved the front porch rockers and the mountain view! After staying here we stayed at 2 more Country Inn and Suites on the way home! Only down side was being able to feel people upstairs walking around.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 16 May 2011

My wife, 2 year old daughter and I stayed at this hotel to cut our trip in half from Pittsburgh to Raleigh. At check in I inquired about upgrading to a 1 bedroom suite (easier with my daughter) and the manager Nick was outstanding in helping us do so (at a very small cost). The room was nice, clean, and good sized. After settling in we went down to the indoor pool which was very well taken care of and perfect temperature. As we were going out to eat we stopped at the front desk to see what was around...probably 20 restaurants were available and the desk guided us there and even gave suggestions on not where to go.

Eating:
The front desk always has freshly baked cookies and grab bags in the morning (water, granola bar)...not to mention the free breakfast. We all know the typical hotel free breakfast and this blew it away. Juice, milk, coffee, donuts, bagels, biscuits with gravy, waffles, cereal, hash browns, eggs, yogurt, ham and more. I would have actually paid for this.

I will definitely be staying at a Country Inn again and suggest everyone to do so. Not to mention the gas in Wytheville was .40 cents cheaper than anywhere the entire trip. Happy Travels.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Stayed here for a night on the first part of a tour on the way to Tennessee. The room was very nice with a comfortable bed. Pool was pretty small but was a good temperature and the hot tub was a good size with the temperature on the hotter side. Cookies were available in the lobby and they were very good. Fitness center was small and hard to find but it got the job done. I also liked the seating in the front. Breakfast buffet in the morning was small but nice and had these really good small donuts. The staff was also quick to refill things. I suggest trying the passionfruit-guava juice-- it was really tasty! I filled a water bottle with it to have on the road.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank jjc927
florida
Reviewed 4 May 2011

When I checked in we weren't told the hotel was without water due to a water main break in the town. The owner, Nick Patel, kept telling us by phone that it would be back on in 10-15 minutes. Three hours passed before the water came back on, and by this time it was 9pm and we were too tired to look elsewhere for a room. I spoke to the owner by phone and he was arrogant, rude, and used profanity while talking to me. The most unprofessional conduct I have seen. I will never stay at County Inn and Suites again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family