“Home away from home”

Worldmark Birch Bay
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Blaine
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My husband and i live in vancouver bc, so birch bay is just a hop, skip and a jump away! we stay here often, staff are always so helpful and happy. It has such a cozy feel to it and it's a great weekend getaway for us. Such a nice little town.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank irishqueen-22

Reviewed 7 September 2011

We had a mostly enjoyable eight-day vacation at Birch Bay. The property is directly across the street from the bay, which offers a variety of activities when the tide is out. There are locations on the beach to build fires and we enjoyed some stunning sunsets.

The property is typical Worldmark - well maintained and with all of the amenities. The two pools and the hot tub were well used. Within minutes after our arrival, we received a phone call from Guest Services, inquiring if our unit was satisfactory. During our stay, the handle came off of the oven door. We notified the front desk and received an immediate visit from maintenance. The handle was quickly replaced. The front desk and Guest Services staff were friendly and helpful and made time to converse with us when they encountered us in the parking lot.

There are numerous restaurants and a country store within walking distance (1/2 mile). We especially enjoyed The C Shop which offers a candy selection, sandwiches, pizza and a variety of breads - all made on the premises. Also, CJ's Beach House which offers a variety of seafood and patio seating overlooking the bay. We dined at both restaurants twice.

Birch Bay is just a few miles from the Canadian border. A short trip to view the Peace Arch and gardens is worthwhile. There is a $10.00 park admission fee.

We did have one bad experience at this Worldmark. At check-in, we were invited to attend an Owner Update to learn how we can better use our membership credits. We typically take advantage of these updates to learn the latest information. This was the first occasion, we were offered 1,000 credits or a $100 gift card to attend (we would have attended without the incentive). Our Owner Update was with Sarah in the sales department. After enduring a full hour listening to her sales pitch, we ended the meeting. She wouldn't take "no" for an answer and we didn't receive any form of an update. Family members, staying in another unit, canceled their Owner Update appointment after hearing about our experience. The family received numerous phone calls from Guest Services, using various ploys to get then to reschedule. The family ultimately disconnected all phones in their unit to avoid the calls.

We look forward to our next Worldmark vacation, but will likely decline any future Owner Update presentations.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank HappyWanderer_CA
Reviewed 13 August 2010

GREAT
Beautiful room. Kids enjoyed the pool. Beautiful bay.
NOT GREAT
Neighbor from above knocked on our door complaining.
Never received important mail sent to that location.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank worldmark
Reviewed 18 July 2010

My Husband And I had our Family Reunion and Wwedding at Birch Bay In Blaine Washington, We Had a great time and I was so Sad because, I did not know were I was going to have my wedding ,the plan was to have the wedding and reception at another location but,it was cancelled, So the employees at World Mark Birch Bay were very helpful, nice, caring understanding, and allowed us to use one of the conference rooms to hold my wedding and reception. We had a great time here and I plan to have our 2011 Family reunion at the same place. The rooms were clean and spacesous and I loved the view of the water. The staff ws so great we invited them to our BBQs and the Wedding and one of the guest brought some Worldmark Time share. Thank you for excellent customer service.see you soon Reginald and Linda Sutton.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank reglin22
Reviewed 23 May 2009

I stayed at the resort for one week during Mid-May through an II exchange program and found myself pleasantly surprised with the place. I picked the location because it seemed to be secluded, but was also close to all other attractions of interest. Due to the calm, shallow waters, I took the opportunity to to do some clamming. Fun, but also hard work. The area is somewhat off the beaten path, but most of everything you need (groceries, restaurants, shopping) is in Bellingham (10-15 minute drive south). However, the immediate area does have a few restaurants and a convenience store on the block. Birch Bay offers beautiful scenaries, tranquility, and amazing sunrises and sunsets over the water. The area is perfect for many outdoor activiites, and Vancouver is a short drive north while Seattle is about 1.5 hours drive south.

With respect to the resort itself, it exceeded my expectations. Although I traveled solo, I did book a 2-bedroom suite. Everything was very clean. Bed was comfortable, towels were soft, and the kitchen had all necessary cooking supplies. I found it odd that the master bathroom was slightly smaller than the guest bathroom, but it suited my needs. Just one note: there is no maid or housekeeping service for your stay, but they allow you to swamp for fresh linens if needed. The staff was great with suggestions about activities and provided me with the equipment to do my clamming. These are offered to guests on a first come first serve basis. You can buy shellfish permits at the convenience store about 1/2 mile down the street, but I think children can do this for free. The resort also provided free internet access in the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
7  Thank maly1
Reviewed 26 March 2009

We needed to use our timeshare points and had enough remaining for a studio. Staff are very nice and room was immaculate. The queen sized murphy bed was too small but comfortable. There was a fireplace and more than adequate kitchen. Fortunately we had a view, but some units face a wall. The pool and spa were great. You need to drive somewhere to find a decent and reasonable restaurant--not those within walking distance ($$$). There is no 'beach' but the bay makes a nice view. You can drive up to Seminahoo for golf, restaurants, etc. or into Bellingham (about 10 min). It was a nice get away but I was ready to leave after four days.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank healthman1
Reviewed 16 November 2008

I spent Xmas week at this resort and had an overall excellent impression. I live a continent away and was using a car that I'd just bought for my daughter. A poorly done repair blew up and the site maintenance guy was fantastic in helping me get it together so it could be driven back to the shop in Bellingham. The resort has a pleasant pool area and an exercise room that is OK. The furnishing of the apartments is probably the weakest area of the resort. They give an extremely tacky motel feeling to the rooms and everytime that one did something like adjust blinds, they fell off in your hands. A general word of warning is that the area has mediocre restaurants and a small market with limited selection. I suppose that your best bet is to stock up at Trader Joe's in B'ham on your way here. Also, I'm sure that the Blaine coast is much more fun in August than December.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank astrolake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blaine
Sandcastle at Birch Bay
Hotel Bellwether
#9 of 26 in Bellingham
Semiahmoo Resort
#1 of 3 in Blaine

Been to Worldmark Birch Bay? Share your experiences!