“Tired and needs some TLC”

Worldmark Birch Bay
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Blaine
GreenLeadersBronze level
Richland
“Tired and needs some TLC”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

We are staying here as I write this review. First off, I must mention that we are Platinum Wyndham memebers and we are use to very fine facilities everywere we go. This is not one of those. It is a good facility but really needs some bright paint, some updated furniture and replace the old worn and dirty appearing carpet. We were in a 2-bedroom unit #319 that had a good view of the parking lot. The staff was friendly and helpful and I have no complaint what-so-ever about their competence. The living room seems dark and in need of more lighting. The gas fireplace works only part of the time, the range top in this unit is not securely fastened to the range itself, The place has a dingy feel to it although it has everything one needs. The kitchen is well stocked.

Room Tip: This place is okay, just nothing special and does not meet up with Wyndham's usual great standar...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank 81DaleB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
new westminster bc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

My husband and i live in vancouver bc, so birch bay is just a hop, skip and a jump away! we stay here often, staff are always so helpful and happy. It has such a cozy feel to it and it's a great weekend getaway for us. Such a nice little town.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank irishqueen-22
Turlock, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

We had a mostly enjoyable eight-day vacation at Birch Bay. The property is directly across the street from the bay, which offers a variety of activities when the tide is out. There are locations on the beach to build fires and we enjoyed some stunning sunsets.

The property is typical Worldmark - well maintained and with all of the amenities. The two pools and the hot tub were well used. Within minutes after our arrival, we received a phone call from Guest Services, inquiring if our unit was satisfactory. During our stay, the handle came off of the oven door. We notified the front desk and received an immediate visit from maintenance. The handle was quickly replaced. The front desk and Guest Services staff were friendly and helpful and made time to converse with us when they encountered us in the parking lot.

There are numerous restaurants and a country store within walking distance (1/2 mile). We especially enjoyed The C Shop which offers a candy selection, sandwiches, pizza and a variety of breads - all made on the premises. Also, CJ's Beach House which offers a variety of seafood and patio seating overlooking the bay. We dined at both restaurants twice.

Birch Bay is just a few miles from the Canadian border. A short trip to view the Peace Arch and gardens is worthwhile. There is a $10.00 park admission fee.

We did have one bad experience at this Worldmark. At check-in, we were invited to attend an Owner Update to learn how we can better use our membership credits. We typically take advantage of these updates to learn the latest information. This was the first occasion, we were offered 1,000 credits or a $100 gift card to attend (we would have attended without the incentive). Our Owner Update was with Sarah in the sales department. After enduring a full hour listening to her sales pitch, we ended the meeting. She wouldn't take "no" for an answer and we didn't receive any form of an update. Family members, staying in another unit, canceled their Owner Update appointment after hearing about our experience. The family received numerous phone calls from Guest Services, using various ploys to get then to reschedule. The family ultimately disconnected all phones in their unit to avoid the calls.

We look forward to our next Worldmark vacation, but will likely decline any future Owner Update presentations.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank HappyWanderer_CA
vancouver, wa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

GREAT
Beautiful room. Kids enjoyed the pool. Beautiful bay.
NOT GREAT
Neighbor from above knocked on our door complaining.
Never received important mail sent to that location.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank worldmark
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

My Husband And I had our Family Reunion and Wwedding at Birch Bay In Blaine Washington, We Had a great time and I was so Sad because, I did not know were I was going to have my wedding ,the plan was to have the wedding and reception at another location but,it was cancelled, So the employees at World Mark Birch Bay were very helpful, nice, caring understanding, and allowed us to use one of the conference rooms to hold my wedding and reception. We had a great time here and I plan to have our 2011 Family reunion at the same place. The rooms were clean and spacesous and I loved the view of the water. The staff ws so great we invited them to our BBQs and the Wedding and one of the guest brought some Worldmark Time share. Thank you for excellent customer service.see you soon Reginald and Linda Sutton.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank reglin22
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2009

I stayed at the resort for one week during Mid-May through an II exchange program and found myself pleasantly surprised with the place. I picked the location because it seemed to be secluded, but was also close to all other attractions of interest. Due to the calm, shallow waters, I took the opportunity to to do some clamming. Fun, but also hard work. The area is somewhat off the beaten path, but most of everything you need (groceries, restaurants, shopping) is in Bellingham (10-15 minute drive south). However, the immediate area does have a few restaurants and a convenience store on the block. Birch Bay offers beautiful scenaries, tranquility, and amazing sunrises and sunsets over the water. The area is perfect for many outdoor activiites, and Vancouver is a short drive north while Seattle is about 1.5 hours drive south.

With respect to the resort itself, it exceeded my expectations. Although I traveled solo, I did book a 2-bedroom suite. Everything was very clean. Bed was comfortable, towels were soft, and the kitchen had all necessary cooking supplies. I found it odd that the master bathroom was slightly smaller than the guest bathroom, but it suited my needs. Just one note: there is no maid or housekeeping service for your stay, but they allow you to swamp for fresh linens if needed. The staff was great with suggestions about activities and provided me with the equipment to do my clamming. These are offered to guests on a first come first serve basis. You can buy shellfish permits at the convenience store about 1/2 mile down the street, but I think children can do this for free. The resort also provided free internet access in the lobby.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
7 Thank maly1
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2009

We needed to use our timeshare points and had enough remaining for a studio. Staff are very nice and room was immaculate. The queen sized murphy bed was too small but comfortable. There was a fireplace and more than adequate kitchen. Fortunately we had a view, but some units face a wall. The pool and spa were great. You need to drive somewhere to find a decent and reasonable restaurant--not those within walking distance ($$$). There is no 'beach' but the bay makes a nice view. You can drive up to Seminahoo for golf, restaurants, etc. or into Bellingham (about 10 min). It was a nice get away but I was ready to leave after four days.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank healthman1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blaine
Sandcastle at Birch Bay
Oxford Suites Bellingham
#1 of 26 in Bellingham
Hotel Bellwether
#9 of 26 in Bellingham

Been to Worldmark Birch Bay? Share your experiences!