All reviews movie theater principal's office north shore light fixtures high ceilings restaurants and bars main restaurant tiki lounge saltwater pool fun place outdoor seating tots original artwork pedestal sink places to eat and drink great beer multiple bars
Reviewed August 30, 2018 via mobile

Funky is a good word for this place. We stayed while attending a six-day program at Bastyr University. The program provided all meals so we only had one delicious lunch there. The room was small and we heard snoring every night from our room on the third floor. Funky art and room would be acceptable if they had a coffee maker in the room and more storage in the bathroom. Parking was sometimes difficult to find. Wish we had time to try the swimming pool and the bars, it might have moved us to give this place a higher score.

1  Thank Iris_Hilo
Claire R, Manager at McMenamins Anderson School Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2018

Greetings Iris_Hilo, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your stay. It was certainly fun to have your group here for such a long stay. I am sorry you had such loud neighbors affecting your sleep. While indeed we do not provide coffee makers in the rooms, some of rooms do have additional storage and counter space in the bathrooms, so next time you are with us please let us know and we can ensure you are in one of those rooms. Hopefully next time you are here you have time for a dip in our amazing heated/salted and check out more of the bars. Until we meet again!

Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

Right off the bat, I would give this 5 stars but for the premium in pricing , I ‘d expect a bit more. For example the sheets only fit halfway down (5”) the mattress that is probably at least a 12” mattress I’d say the towels, while fine, were not luxurious.
But the room, mattress, bathrm, building , retro art, grounds, staff were all great . Absolutely love that an old historic building is re-purposed. Definitely has a soul.
We had our dog. Refundable fee is fair— got a half-basement room— I understand that too. That’s fair and expected w dog travel.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Claire R, Manager at McMenamins Anderson School Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2018

Hi BarbTacoma! Yikes, sheets that only fit halfway down? That is certainly not a standard in our hotel room beds, I am so sorry we literally "short sheeted" you. I will certainly bring this up in our housekeeping line-up tomorrow to ensure this doesn't happen again. Beyond the sheet issue, I am thrilled you had such an outstanding experience with us and you felt the soul of this place. Please do note the $15 per night per pet fee is nonrefundable, just don't want there to be any confusion next time you are with us. Until we meet again!

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

This pub had an incredible pineapple cider, WOWSER! Love a good cider and this was over the top good! The hazelnut bread pudding with whiskey caramel sauce is enough to go back for. Was not thrilled with the fish tacos: frozen fish mushy, salsa lacking and taco shell somewhere between tasteless and over cooked. Growing up in San Diego County, I know fish tacos and this was beyond edible and I left most of it for the trash.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Greetings 57BillR, you are making my mouth water. I can certainly go for a nice cold cider and delicious bread pudding right now. I am sorry to hear we hit the mark on our fish tacos; this is certainly something we want to ensure is out of this world being that we have a tiki themed restaurant on property. I have passed your feedback on to all of the chefs as it will help with their taco perfection. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments!

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

We’ve stayed at most of the McMenamins lodgings and this ranks near the top. We took advantage of most of the restaurants on site - well executed pub menus. The rooms are nicely done and include en suite bathrooms (unlike some other properties of theirs). Close to Woodinville wine country and the Sammamish River Trail. It’s a fun environment for grown ups.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Hi-ya JohnHTacoma! To say we rank near the top of all McMenamins properties makes my heart sing - what an honor. Thanks so much for sharing you great experience, we look forward to having you back here with us again soon!

Reviewed August 11, 2018

We met up with some friends for drinks and dinner at this recently converted former schoolhouse property. McMenamin's has done it again with another successful, intriguing property with lots to explore, experience and enjoy. Great place for couples, groups of friends and family. Some kid-friendly areas too, including a pool. Overall, it felt like visiting a treehouse maze - in a really fun way! Indoor and outdoor dining locations available, and they even have their own cinema!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen B
Claire R, Manager at McMenamins Anderson School Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2018

Hi-ya Karen! That is my new favorite description for us: "treehouse maze". :) I am so glad you and your friends were able to explore the whole property after drinks and dinner. Hopefully next time you can make it an overnight event and stay at the hotel, swim in the pool and catch a movie. Looking forward to having you back here with us again, cheers!