“Mandarin Garden now Dragon Village: Gone downhill since last year. Go elsewhere!”
Review of Mandarin Garden - CLOSED

Mandarin Garden
Cuisines: Asian
Description: On Google. Search "Mandarin Garden, Colville, WA"
Description: On Google. Search "Mandarin Garden, Colville, WA"
Reviewed 29 August 2016

I ate here last year. Management changed very recently I’m told, and the place is now known as the Dragon Village.
My experience is close to last year’s, except for the TERRIBLE Hot and Sour Soup, and lack of Fortune Cookies.
I stopped in just before 3 PM, so thankfully was able to order off the lunch menu.
I thought the prices were a bit much for supper, and would not stop by outside of lunch special times.
The waitress was polite, and quickly let me seat myself.
The first table I sat at wasn’t right: It seemed a bit higher than it should be, and there wasn’t enough room between the back of the seat and the table. Very uncomfortable, so I moved to another table.
That one was comfortable, but hadn’t been cleaned. The hostess noticed this, and quickly cleaned it.
My order was taken in a timely manner, and the alleged Hot and Sour arrived quickly.
What a horrid disappointment! The soup was a very strong beef broth, had heat in it, but no vinegar. The vegetables were off color, and mushy.
I think this was a very, very old soup, and it was probably the worst Hot and Sour Soup I’ve had, even worse than Port Townsend (friends simply don’t let friends eat Chinese there!). I can’t give it more than 2 out of 10. Yuck. Don’t order it!
The Beef with Broccoli came out in short order: Presentation/plating was nice, it had a good color, and I was able to get the meal with the fried rice at the same price instead of the usual white rice.
The beef was tender, the broccoli pleasantly crunchy.
The rice seemed a bit old, and was a minor disappointment for a fried rice.
The quantity was marginal. Even though I had a reasonable lunch before arriving, I left very hungry.
All in all, I thought the price was a bit high for quantity delivered, slightly offset by a better quality of beef. Still, I don’t think it was worth it.
What really irked me was the lack of a fortune cookie with the meal.
That was cheapness... They couldn’t cost more than maybe 25 cents wholesale.
A perceived lack of value = no return visits.
Also, the place has quirky hours built around the hostess and probably owner shutting the business down to do something with her daughter.
All in all, with input from the locals, and my experience, I probably won’t go back, and I have concerns for the long term survival of this restaurant.
Do yourself a favor, and go somewhere else.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

We love the food and try to eat there as often as possible. We usually call ahead and get it to go. We eat the sweet and sour chicken and pork. Eggrolls are great. We don't eat at the restaurant much.

Reviewed 18 May 2016

This was our only option open Friday night, food is really good the place looks old, I suggest you try this restaurant. Good price

Reviewed 17 September 2015

OK.. I read the reviews and was skeptical of this place, but saw that they were under new ownership, and since I needed a Chinese fix in the worst way, I rolled the dice and for once was glad that I stopped in.
I was politely greeted, and quickly seated. The décor is a bit dated, but let's face it, a lot of the places around here look like they are stuck in the '70's or earlier!
My order was taken quickly, and the Hot and Sour soup arrived quickly, with the main meal (Spicy Beef) right behind it.
The Hot and Sour soup was about spot on taste and temperature wise: It had a good balance of flavors. The vegetables were nicely crunchy. The only thing I can fault it for, is that it had a niggardly amount of Tofu in it, and it could have used a bit more ingredients in general.
Still, it's an excellent effort, and I would put it at an 8 of 10.
The Spicy Beef was excellent in its presentation! Taste was great, and the vegetables were still crunchy. The sauce had a nice balance of taste in it. The Steamed Rice was OK... This is my only criticism: Had it been served with a Fried Rice, the meal would have been perfect! I didn't ask if I could have upgraded the rice for an extra fee...
The Egg Roll was likewise piping hot, and generously stuffed with good ingredients.
I'll give the meal a 7 to 8, it would have been a 9 with Fried Rice.
I think the portion was a bit small for the price ($8.95), but again, what I got was mostly really good quality, and the portion size is forgivable.
Would I go back again? Absolutely!

1  Thank Tom-H98532
Reviewed 25 June 2015

Under new ownership. Clean, good food and plenty of it. Offers a variety of chinese-american cuisine and some american dishes.