“Amazing croissants!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Dessert in Eastsound
Price range: US$3 - US$9
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Nestled in the San Juans on Orcas Island in the Village of Eastsound, you'll find a quant small baking kitchen, a place for grabbing breakfast/brunch on the way to explore the island or a mid day lunch break with soup. After a long day exploring the island, we'll see you back for a slice of heaven with one of our fresh-made desserts. Even linger, watching our bakers working at the large baking table and get some tips on honing your skills. We'll see you soon at Brown Bear Baking.
Reviewed 17 September 2015

I had a orange bun,which was the best thing I have ever eaten in a bakery.It was like a rolled croissant with a hint of orange,my husband got an almond bear claw crossiant which was so flaky and delicious.We are going back tomorrow morning to get some more treats before we leave the island!

Reviewed 15 September 2015

Flaky.sweet.tart.savory. yummy. Saturday morning was so busy, but still had fast, friendly service and warm from the oven pastries.

Reviewed 9 September 2015

The croissants and pastries are delish, but this bakery is so hard to love! The bakery seems to produce only a certain amount of product each day, and for several days, we stopped in at different times, only to be told that they were "sold out" of various items, no matter the time of day. How long does it take to bake extra batches of currant scones if you're always running out? We saw six people working in the bakery section, but there seems to be no awareness of making more product if people buy it all! When we finally scored a ham and cheese croissant, the amount of ham in it was miniscule for the hefty price. We finally went across the street to another coffee shop with equally good pastries, and one which always had fresh product on hand. These people love to bake, but evidently the number of items they bake every day stays exactly the same. Whose convenience is that for? (And if you wait in the long and very slow lines for coffee or a treat, you'll discover that the sole person working the ipad to pay is equally slow.) There are just better places to patronize.

Hilands, Owner at Brown Bear Baking, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2015

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. We bake in small batches throughout the day so our menu varies. Our croissant product take 2 days to make so once we're out, we're out for the day. We adjust daily to try to accommodate demand but people's selection vary each day. We suggest if you're looking for something specific, you can ask or call for a special order if we have it on hand, or we can arrange to have it ready on another day for pick up.

We do our best to anticipate demand, but there is always a great selection of items to choose from. We recommend coming in the morning for best selection.

As far as slow service at the iPad, I've reviewed the last 4 days of transactions and found that our register is completing a transaction about every 30 seconds. I'd be interested in what specific day and time you came in so we can pinpoint this as we value great guest service. Please feel free to call David or I at 702-839-8254 and we look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you as our guest.

Reviewed 7 September 2015

We were swinging past this place on the way back to our car, and we just had to stop in. I have a hard time walking past bakeries. In this case, I'm very glad we did stop. We picked up a couple of coffees, which were perfectly satisfactory, a couple of sasquatch cookies, and some chocolate muffins for breakfast the next morning. The chocolate muffins were good; a bit rich for me to eat more than a bite or two, but the kids tore through them. The cookies were delicious! Chocolate chips, butterscotch morsels, whole oats, and who knows what other goodness in there. Next time I'm on Orcas, I'm headed back to Brown Bear.

Reviewed 5 September 2015

The pastries are sooooo good and huge. Very good chocolate croissant, flaky and just right. The savory croissants were also good. The lattes were also pretty good although my favorite ones are still across the street at the chocolate shop! A must for breakfast pastries on Orcas!