“NOT REALLY SCENIC.......”

Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Elbe
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Fourteen-mile train trip to a historic logging camp, railroad museum, and special event park through the forested foothills of majestic Mt. Rainier.
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My wife and I took the Scenic Railroad trip on our way to the Paradise Lodge on Mt. Rainier. The weather was perfect (except the summit was not visible) and we rode in the open car..highly recommended if the weather is nice...the views from the enclosed cars are very limited. Your children would love this..and if you have the bucks maybe ride in the engine. There was a long wait to load...don't know why. The "conductors"... all volunteers provided limited info...a amplified megaphone wouls be a great addition. All in all an average experience at best.

1  Thank nbsandman
"equipment"
in 13 reviews
"willamette"

Reviewed July 29, 2011

Easily the worst waste of time I could have imagined after an anxious two-hour drive to Mt. Rainier. We were a family of five (three around 30, two around 55). We thought based on the website and some other reviews that it would be an enjoyable train ride with great scenery at the destination, or even throughout the trip. There were no views AT ALL, the ride was through dense woods (same track there and back), and the destination was some pathetic lake that first, we could have driven to if we wanted, and second, was the ugliest lake in Washington. I almost always give these things the benefit of the doubt and try to make the best of it, but this was literally the greatest tourism disappointment I've ever experienced. The fact that we paid money to do this and that this consumed our one day at Rainier is truly disheartening. The only positive things I can say about it are that the crew was very polite and that the train ran on time. Just awful...

Date of experience: June 2011
7  Thank YellowLabGuy
Reviewed July 18, 2011

A pleasant ride on a nice day, but not worth the hour plus trip from Seattle/Tacoma and $25 a person. Train ride is about an hour each way, with a stop at a lake. Nothing else, just a lake. The trip itself is through dense woods, with only one photo opportunity at Mt. Rainier as you cross a bridge (they do stop). There are open cars for a nice day, but the noise of the engine pretty prevents any conversation. If you are this close to Mt. Rainier, go into the park and enjoy the views.

3  Thank s131313
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Don't waste your time and money. No scenic view (very good weather) whatsoever. I do not think kids enjoy it. I would not do it again and I would not recommend it to anybody.

3  Thank drramki
See more reviews
Reviewed November 27, 2010

We had a very fun afternoon with our daughter, son-in-law, and 2 grandsons aged 6 and 3 on the Santa Express. There was a little snow on the ground in the area which helped set the mood. The staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient. The little station is really nice with clean bathrooms attached. We brought extra cushions and blankets but never needed them. The train was decorated so festive and the Santa car was really charming. The cars were heated, very clean and comfortable. The kids loved Santa. It was especially nice when Santa came back through the cars and visited everyone in their seats and posed for pictures. My only critique was that the train was over 1/2 late in boarding and getting underway, which made the ride seem a little longer.
After reading previous posts, I was a little concerned that I had made a bad decision, but we had a wonderful experience and I would highly recommend this trip as a fun family holiday outing.

5  Thank skipperjs

Been to Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad? Share your experiences!