“I wanted to like it...”
Review of Kama'aina Grindz - CLOSED

Kama'aina Grindz
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 6, 2017

Stopped here for dinner based on TripAdvisor, Yelp and OpenTable reviews. Being familiar with Hawaiian cuisine, I was looking for good qualtiy casual fusion. It was OK, but not as good I was hoping for.

We had the:
- Crazy Loco Moco - with a description of red wine gravy, I was hoping for something rich and flavoful, but the entire dish was rather bland. The kimchee added a little flavor, but not enough to save it from being an average loco moco. It was a very large serving though.
- Maui Style Bimbimbap - a regular bimbimbap, without the stone bowl to make it crispy. Flank steak was cut thick, which is unusual for this type of dish where the meat is usually sliced extremely thin. Again, average.
- Keiki Spam Musubi - nothing special, but a good size for a small appetite.
- Keiki Panko Chicken - a nice dish. Well prepared and presented stack of panko chicken with good serving size of rice and edamame. Edamame is a great snacking food for kids.
- the complimentary daily sorbet was very nice.

Service was super friendly and attentive.

Plenty of parking along the street.

Overall, it was a rather average meal. I was really hoping for more, but it just didn't happen. I'll give it one more try next time in the area.

Date of visit: July 2017

Reviewed June 6, 2017

We were in town for a wedding where the food was AWFUL and found this place down the street from our hotel. Having no idea what we were walking into we were seriously delighted by this little place! It's VERY family friendly, and casual. The food is good, dishes are creative and Hawaiian beers are really tasty! The waitress we had was very nice and the staff helped relocate us inside when it started getting chilly without any fuss. I wish we had been hungrier or staying in town another day, I would have eaten here the rest of the trip! I even recommended it to our friend who was a local and had never been here.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed March 17, 2017

Went to try Kama'aina Grindz on a rainy Saturday, starving after a hike. Let's just say we were not disappointed! There are fun beverages available, straight from Hawaii like different tropical fruit juices and tea. The waitress suggested the chicken katsu curry, which was SO GOOD. Service was very friendly and fast. Although, the restaurant itself had this awful tile floor that made the room look dingy. Every other decoration was fun. Highly recommend stopping in!

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed March 4, 2017 via mobile

Have many items on the menu in the Asian Hawaiian fusion. Good food and service. Popular- would recommend reservations on weekends and before events. No Pepsi or coke. Only local and Hawaiian juices, sodas, and beverages including Washington wine. Plates go from $11 on up to $20 for a Bento box. They finish all meals with their monthly sherbet flavor.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed December 15, 2016

I was really looking forward to trying Kama'aina while in Everett this month. Very much sounds like my kind of place, and just a couple doors down from where I was staying.

I came in about 15 minutes after they opened; I was greeted promptly, found a seat, and was given a menu. For being one of two customers in the place, it took a while before my order was taken. I ordered the Ahi Poke based upon its descriptions and reviews I've read.

Getting my meal took about a half hour, which seemed kind of excessive given how quiet it was. No updates or anything. I was actually getting nervous as I was next heading down to SeaTac to fly home and my idea of a quick lunch beforehand wasn't working out too well.

The meal was very, very good. The server brought a little container of ice cream with ginger after my meal, and that was a tasty, unexpected treat. Bit expensive overall. I made the mistake of ordering a non-specific iced tea and received one with fruits and vegetables or something infused in it. I can't stand pollutants in my iced tea and perhaps I should have specified, but at the same time, it would be nice to be warned of additional ingredients - I would simply have had water if unadulterated iced tea wasn't an option.

I really expected to and wanted to like this place a lot. While my ordered meal was really very good, I'm not sure I'll return (I'm in Everett often) for the price and time involved.

Date of visit: December 2016
Kamaainagrindz, Owner at Kama'aina Grindz, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2017

Gary,

Aloha! I know it's been awhile but thought I should reply and probably my first reply. I get it, totally understand your views and situation. I am glad you enjoyed your Grindz, but not so glad you had a timely poor experience. All I can say is, we are a small restaurant in Everett and trying to do our Best!! We may not hit the "mark" or "expectations" all the time, but I do strive for that on a daily basis. I apologize that you dined on one or few of our "not so good days" and hope you can see through all the struggles of a small restaurant and try us again some day?! Hopefully one day you will be able to relax, enjoy the atmosphere and maybe try something different to change your impression of KG!? Until then.....AloooooHaa!!

Chef Dean