“Not as good as it should have been”
Review of Kama'aina Grindz - CLOSED

Kama'aina Grindz
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2018

We enjoyed lunch at Kama'aina Grindz. The food was uniformly very good. The lack of service was unfortunate. One of us is mobility challenged and this is a serious issue. This restaurant used to serve tables and now is a walk-up-and-order sort of place. Worse, the food is served in plastic boxes which are difficult to manage and devalue the excellent cooking. The menu is diverse and as genuine as any place in Hawaii. The prices are too high for the quantities served. We give this place really mixed reviews.

Date of visit: February 2018

Reviewed February 10, 2018

This was one of our favorite spots in Everett for quite some time...that is until they changed it up. It became a seat yourself, order at the front, eat on plastic plates type of place. Before you were seated and had a waitress. The food is still excellent but the atmosphere changed. Everett has enough of the order at the counter places and is lacking in true nice dining. Due to this change up, we had an order that was wrong and one that was forgotten all together. They did fix finally but by that point we were all done eating, this was a child's meal as you can imagine the child wasn't real happy about it. It also cheapens the amazing food, eating on plastic just isn't the same. Bummed. The lady that took our order laughed and said she was tired of doing dishes...we may try it again but took it out of our regular rotation.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed December 31, 2017

I can recommend this spot to people of all backgrounds. I'd never eaten Hawaiian food, and this place has Hawaiian mixed with many kinds of (ironically?) more familiar Korean and Japanese dishes. It was a good bridge to a new experience. We took my young teens and my golden-years in-laws, and there's something on the menu for everyone. The prices are good for the excellent flavors and creativity. We also enjoyed the wide variety of drinks available. The ambiance was pleasant, with island-y music and a cozy feel.

One caveat: you do need to read the menu carefully -- or ask the extremely helpful staff -- if you want to avoid spicy flavors. Some of the food names don't immediately reveal spiciness, and that was an issue for one of our sensitive tasters. Not the fault of the restaurant in any way!

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed November 25, 2017 via mobile

A great place to go if you’re tired of the run of the mill restaurant. It’s combination of Polynesian and Hawaiian food makes it very tasty. The prices were great. I can’t wait to get there for dinner

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed October 15, 2017 via mobile

A group if friends and I went and had lunch here on October 14. We all ordered at the same time but somehow they lost my boyfriend and my order, they did the same thing to a group behind us and even did it for a to-go order for someone else in our group. The food was amazing however, but I would've appreciated if at least they apologized or offered free meal to us

Date of visit: October 2017
Kamaainagrindz, Owner at Kama'aina Grindz, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2017

Kelsey,

Aloha!! Thank you so much for your review.

First of all, I am so glad that you enjoyed your Grindz while you were here! Mahalo fo' stopping by!!

Secondly, I apologize for the inconvenience that we have caused you during your visit. We had recently changed over from a sit down restaurant to an over the counter concept the week before and have many kinks and bugs to re-work out and a new cashier to add to da mix. It was a good test for us and will continue to grow and do better but mistakes do happen along da way and again apologize that it was you and your friends and a few others. But overall, I felt it was a great day and we learned a lot from our daily operations, training of new positions and adjusting to our new system. It was a little crazy that day and unfortunately we didn't meet your expectations. I do appreciate you dining with us and hopefully you could give us another chance when you are in town.

We will continue to "try harder"!!

Aloha,