“Wonderful location, delightful lunch”
Review of Green Turtle

Green Turtle
Ranked #38 of 123 Restaurants in Gig Harbor
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Three friends enjoyed a lovely lunch at the Green Turtle.We arrived shortly before 11:30 and had the place to ourselves for several minutes. Even though it was a rainy day, the view was still gorgeous. Our waiter was very attentive. Two of us had the special of the day...fried oyster burger...and one had the chicken wrap. All had the side of chowder. Each of us was pleased with our meal.The restaurant filled quickly on this Wednesday and people seemed to be having a good time. It was our first time here, but we will be sure to return!

Reviewed December 10, 2017 via mobile

We were really excited about our first visit to the Green Turtle, until we arrived and had our first interaction with our servers. They seemed put out by us being there and did not appear interested in making our visit special or enjoyable. We had 3 courses of dirty dishes and empty glasses sitting in front of us and they were pushed aside only for the main dishes as they arrived. The chicken gorgonzola dish was good. But the halibut, salmon, steak, and tuna dishes were somehow overcooked but at the same time cold to the touch. We can forgive poor service if the food is good, or forgive bad food if we love the service. Unfortunately it was all bad here. It was truly a Big Bummer.

3  Thank Oompahloom
Reviewed December 10, 2017 via mobile

This was our family Christmas dinner with horrible service, dinner served cold, tough fish, under cooked food, and a waitress that really didn't give a crap. It's a shame because it is a great location! Don't let the pictures fool you.

3  Thank RoxyrooC
Reviewed December 9, 2017 via mobile

Nine for dinner, only one happy with their meal. Food cold, over cooked fish, under cooked steak. Terrible service. Music too loud for table conversation. Vodka watered down. Navy family celebrating early Christmas...total disappointment!

4  Thank Sheryl P
Reviewed December 3, 2017

This was my first visit to the Green Turtle, and it will be my last.

The setting is lovely - right on the harbor and very cozy inside. Not many tables (perhaps 12) but this just adds to the sense of intimacy. On my recent Saturday night visit, only about half of them were taken. This should have been a warning sign.

But I had earlier warning signs - the GT doesn't use the traditional online reservation platforms, so you have to email or call. I emailed, and it bounced (I checked to confirm I had the email the GT indicated on their web site). So tried the phone/voicemail route - that worked, and my call was promptly returned. While listening to the voicemail message, I noted the days the recording said the restaurant was open conflicted with the info on their web site. Passed both of these errors to the guy who returned my call. More warning signs!

OK, so on to the food. The menu is ok, with a SE Asian influence. But it's a really odd fusion, with most dishes coming with the 70's glop of whipped potatoes. What really suggested to me that the chef was just 'phoning it in' was that the veggie accompanyment consisted of a 15-second grilled red and yellow pepper slice - really! This is Applebee's level. I had the pork chop, which wasn't very good - wasn't trimmed of fat on the edges and was tough. And no grilling, just a pan saute. It was covered, however, in a decent enough gorgonzola sauce.

I passed on the appetizers, as they were insanely priced - pushing high teens! After tasting the entree (which itself was right around $30) I was glad I took the pass. You do get a choice of chowder or a caesar salad with your entree and pepper slices. All the food was under-salted and there were no salt or pepper shakers/mills on the table.

Service was slipshod. One waiter and one waitress to cover the roughly 6 seated tables. We were greeted and seated promptly, and put our orders in (and received our first glasses of wine) quickly as well. But the waitress removed the wrong (inside, dinner) fork when she cleared the table after the soup course. No one ever checked to see how the food was. And my wine glass ran dry early in my entree, and no one came to see if I wanted a refill.

The nail in this place's coffin (as if the above wasn't bad enough) was the closing. We received the bill from our waiter, but he quickly became mesmerized by a table of 8 that was trickling in. He was quick to get them seated and start taking drink orders while we (and another table of four who received their bill at the same time) just sat and sat. Finally, my companion asked the waitress to run our AMEX. What did she apparently do? Just sat the bill and AMEX inside next to the register. She came back out to clear and reset a table (even though there were other set tables and no one waiting) while my 87-year old Mom and I cooled our heels...and our actual waiter continued to deal with his table of 8. After going to the bathroom (which itself is outside and unheated, so hoping you're not going to need to 'sit down' out there), I asked said waitress if she was ever planning to 'run the AMEX' as we asked. She just stared at me. Finally, the waiter came back (this was probably the first time we'd talked to him in 15 minutes) and was all apologetic about the delay.

Apology not accepted - I told him the service wasn't acceptable and left him a $5 cash tip (on a $90 bill) so he'd get the message.

I really wouldn't bother with this place. It reminds me of the sort of place Gordon Ramsey tries to transform on Kitchen Nightmares.

2  Thank GigOn332