“Terrific Stay at the Howard Johnson Hotel in Kent!”

Howard Johnson Inn Kent
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Kent
Portland
“Terrific Stay at the Howard Johnson Hotel in Kent!”
Reviewed 21 October 2009

I am in my room right now as I am writing this review. I don't normally write reviews but after the recommendation I received from a friend to stay here, and after reading the negative review left for this hotel in August, I had mixed feelings! This hotel is spotless. The curb appeal is nice when you drive in. The location is great. Right off of I-167 and 84th Street in Kent WA. Once you close the door, there is no noise! I am in a king size room. The room is extremely clean. It is an older property but I overlook "old for clean" and this room is great. There is a fresh coat of paint on the walls, and the outside door has been newly painted. The curtains are new it looks like. The carpet is clean even in the corners! The bedspread is clean and tidy and the beds are new. The shower has a new rounded curtain rod and curtain and the shower tub is spotless. The gentleman that checked me in said that they are ordering new TV's that are coming in shortly. I am on the computer writing this on line and the WIFI works great from my room. Even down to the little things like the Howard Johnson hotel directory on the desk is new and there is a fresh pad of paper and a pen that works by the phone! Every light bulb works and the shades are even pointed in the right direction. The housekeeping staff here is fantastic! I will definitely be back. You cannot beat the price and the service. Next time I stay here, I will write again and let you all know if I have the same experience!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Amazing53
hojoinkent, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Kent, responded to this review, 1 December 2009
We at the Howard Johnson Inn want to take some time to sincerely thank you for taking some of your own valuable time to share your thoughts and comments with us about our establishment. We truly appreciate all comments, especially those that are taken with the care of attention to details! We have definitely been putting alot of effort into our renovations and appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge that and share with other future guests. We would be pleased to have you stay with us in your future travels and hope that you help us spread the good word about our newly renovated property! Thanks again for sharing some of your valuable time and thoughts with us!

Rani Kaur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Portland, OR
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I read these reviews AFTER we stayed at this hotel, and it is a good thing or I never would have discovered how wrong the reviews were -- at least as of September 28 through October 1, 2009. The room was clean, freshly painted, with new bedding and comfortable beds. The staff seemed to go out of their way to be accommodating and their breakfast had two hot items. I travel to Seattle-Kent area often and have stayed at both of the Days Inns in town. Given a choice, as I always am by my company, I will absolutely return to this Howard Johnson. In fact, we are on our way there now for another 4-night stay tonight. Thought I should add this in fairness to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank JPMTraveler
We, at the Howard Johnson Inn would like to take a moment to thank you for sharing your thoughts about our establishment. We are pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us and even more excited that you chose to return shortly after! We look forward to having you as our guest again. Be on the lookout for future renovations and improvements. We always strive to ensure our guests have the best stay possible. We would also like to ask that you help us spread the good word about our newly remodeled rooms and our excellent value! Thanks again for taking some of your valuable time to share your comments with us. We always welcome them.

Rani Kaur
Howard Johnson Inn Management
Oregon
Reviewed 16 August 2009

This motel was awful. I am not usually picky, but this was bad. According to reviews on TripAdivsor (from the motel owner) they have recently "remodeled" by adding ned linens etc. Ourr room and our friends room had comforters that had to be twenty years old and nasty, ours had holes in it. The walls were dirty, the carpet was filthy and the room smelled of smoke (not shocking with ashes outside our door). We turned on the heater for about five seconds and had to shut it off because it smelled as if the room would burn. It was just a gross place to stay. The photos on the website make it look much more attractive!!! If they would put the energy into rooms that was put into the lobby it would be better.
We were on the second floor and some of the railing were poping out, nails exposed. The steps were rusting. I was in the lobby for five minutes during the stay and one woman came down to complain that no towels had been brought to their room. Right after her complaint a gentlement came down to the room that the front desk had just sent him to because it was still dirty from a previous user... pizza boxes and all.
Although i read the previous reviews I usually try to give places the benefit of the doubt and assume that people reviewing are too harsh, but in this case the reviewers were correct. Our friends felt the same about this experience. We will never stay at a Howard Johnson Inn again after this one experience. Usually I would say you get what you pay for, but I have paid this price for several other very noce and clean hotels.
BY the way the hottub wasn't working and the sauna had been shut down for maintenance....although when I called the day before they were both available, and the heated people was cold.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank OregonBeachDad
vancouver
Reviewed 29 July 2009

The moment I arrived (28-Jul-09) at the front, a customer was complaining about something... When I tried to check in, they said room #209 has been reserved to me, but eventually, it was "not put back" to the market because something is not right. The repair guy said it's been fixed, but the system does not show the room. My family and I was given room #206 which is
1. at the moment of entering, it smelled ! It's filthy and smell like "sour". The exhaust fan was noisy like a grinder;
2. the hotel is right in front of the freeway and it's noisy at daytime.
3. At night it is the Air Conditioner (which I was told to be very good) which made the vibrating noise and my wife & I lost sleep for the whole night.
4. Next day, we went to the reception and spoke to an East Indian Lady (looks like manager or owner) and requested for a room change as we need to stay for another 2-nights. She refused for room change but "promised" to have the repair guy to look after; if it can't be fixed she will offer a different room. I came back by 3.30pm, it's the same. She refused to change room and said it's normal for an A/c to be noisy like that; so does the exhaust fan.
5. We have an argument and she threatened to have "us" thrown out of the room if we refused to pay them.
6. Attitude of the front desk staff (Caucasian & the owner) is impolite and is pissing me off. We checked out immediately, cancelled the 2-nights and went to Super 8.
This hotel is a member of Wyndham with which I am also a member. I will write to Wyndham and continue with this com[plaint as I have never seen such a worst customer service manner. The hotel claims to be just renovated but it's cheating everyone as the condition of the room (especially the towels are brownish not white) and the environment.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank vanbillykc
Northwest
Reviewed 1 March 2009

It began with the room rate. On the internet, it said best rate would be given, and it showed a rate of 58.00 a night plus tax. Well, that sounded fair to me, but, when we got there, the front desk clerk would not give us a rate any lower than 75 and she would not take my triple A card for a better rate. There were two of us, by the way, and the 58 dollars was quoted for such.
Second, the motel says they are pet friendly. Well, again, the agent said no cats, but, on the wall, the plaque said pets welcome. I told her how I personally take care of my kitty and there would be no mess, and she finally relented. She charged us 10.00 a day for 4 out of the 6 days, well, other places I have stayed only charge a one-time fee.
Third, the safe fee, usually when we check out, I tell the agent we did not use the safe and they waive the fee. Well, this place charged us a fee for each day and when I checked out and told another front desk agent we did not use the safe, she told me she could not waive the fee except for the last two days, we stayed a total of 6 nights.
Fourth, we tried 4 rooms before we finally found one that was half way acceptable. The first room, we could not even open the door, the second room, the TV and remote did not work, the third room, the bath tub drain would not close, thus, could not fill tub and we could only get hot water that came out almost as steam, the fourth room was finally acceptable. In other words, we spent a good hour the first night searching for a decent room. However, the bottom of the bathroom door had the wood veneer peeling from it, part of the frame around the main door was missing, the water pressure over the sink was very slow and only came out in a small drip most of the time, and again, we had to run it forever to get cold water. The filter drain in the tub kept coming out, and the refrigerator was missing some parts.
As for housekeeping, well, some really tried, but there was one that did not, in fact, she only made one of our beds, and the other, just put the linen on for me to make. She claimed our kitty was on the bed, well, the other housekeeper knew that and said to not worry, the room would still be cleaned and changed. Our kitty is very elderly and not a bit vicious and would not have hurt anyone. I was very disappointed that day as I was not feeling well and was looking forward to coming back to a nicely made bed.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank SassieSusie
Colorado
Reviewed 5 February 2009

Hotel stunk... I had to go by a candle to get rid of the combination of sewer and dirty feet... I was stuck and had to stay there due to a situation beyond my control. No maid service. Hotel staff reasonalbe at night, not overly friendly... Morning staff is stuck up and rude. Bad area... Also, the curains were ridiculous... They were falling down and stained... They need a renovation in the building and in the staff. I think the rudest girl was the owners daughter...

The only good point was the Mexican restaurant that they have a deal with to give you 10% off. They were great, friendly, and had GREAT food!!!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Lisa3333
hojoinkent, Property Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Kent, responded to this review, 27 May 2009
We wanted to take a few moments to address a few of the concerns regarding your stay with us at Howard Johnson Inn. We have recently updated all of our rooms with new curtains, beds, etc. And we are planning for other renovations in the near future. Our guests have been pleased thus far with our new additions to the rooms. And also we would like to note that our Hot Continental Breakfast is even better than before! We now include eggs with our usual waffles and your other basic breads, cereals, fruit, muffins, etc. Our property is taking a nice turn into a completely updated establishment. And we hope to see you in the near future with even more updates.
Davis, CA
Reviewed 5 February 2009

Having read some of the reviews here on TripAdvisor I was dreading my stay at this motel. I travel frequently and have stayed in both budget and luxury hotels many times, but some of the reviews here made it sound really bad! I suspect that they have changed management and remodeled since those reviews were written, because the room was clean, the staff was helpful, and although it is not The Ritz, it was a perfectly comfortable place to stay. For a basic budget motel it offers good value.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
hojoinkent, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Kent, responded to this review, 20 May 2009
Thank you for taking the time to give us and others some feedback about our establishment. We are highly pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and always appreciate any feedback from our guests. There is always room for improvement! We also hope that in your future Seattle travels, you would consider us again.

Thanks again,
Howard Johnson Inn Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kent
0.6 km away
3.0 km away
Best Western Plus Plaza By The Green
5.6 km away
Best Western Seattle Airport Hotel

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Kent? Share your experiences!