“Customer service is a joke” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chautauqua Lodge

Chautauqua Lodge
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
Vancouver, Washington
“Customer service is a joke”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

I had to rate this as terrible because although there were inconveniences (Kids "therapy pool" out of order, dark stairway with construction debris, although they have and indoor pool you have to go outside to get to it, my Internet didn't work and I was told that they would "look into it" with no results). Yes the place it old, fireplaces don't work (was warned in advance on my reservation) and even with my inconveniences I wasn't that upset at first. It does have a good location and the staff that checked me in were polite and nice.
Unfortunately check out sucked. The girl was not friendly, at first didn't give me a copy of my bill, chewing gum and didn't seem to have any interest in who I was or what I wanted. Even still at that point I was disappointed but wouldn't have rated it terrible. It was after I arrived home and realized I had left my laptop computer cord in my room. I quickly called and spoke to staff at the lodge. The man that answered the phone was at least polite and reported that my cord had not been turned in but that he himself would go look and call me back. The weird thing was that he said he got my comment card (I had left on the table in my room next to my power cord) and that the next time I stay they would give me a discount. I provided my cell number at I work 10-12 hour shifts.... No call back. I called again. This time staff was not as friendly, reported they didn't know anything about my cord and took down my name and number again and promised that someone would call me back....no call back.... I called yet again, this time after several rings a man answered out of breath, didn't say who he was or even the Lodge's name and then asked me to hold. Put me on hold before I could say yes or no. Answered again several minutes later. Wasn't interested in listening to my concern and but at least again took my name and number and promised my someone would call be "right back". Apparently my interpretation of "right back" is not their's. Because guess what .... no call back .I then emailed the next day and got a rude reply stating yes my power cord was right there in the lost and found and that they would ship it back to me but I would have to pay a $10 fee and pay for shipping which they wanted to ship COD. At this point I was disgusted that they would offer me a discount to stay there but wanted me to pay a fee and shipping. I emailed again and reminded them as I had told each one of the staff that I had talked to earlier in the week and even included in my email.... I work 10-12 hr shifts. Which means that I would not be home to meet the mail man and pay for my stupid cord. I offered to pay for my own shipping (which I felt was fair since I left it behind) if they would send it priority so that it could be left at my door. I also asked who the owner/manager of the lodge was so I could pass on how unhappy I was.... can you take a guess what happened???.... no reply, no call, no cord!!!
Don't stay there if you are expecting good customer service!

- update. After 2months!!! they sent my cord COD (completely disregarded my request). They never called or wrote me to let me know they had sent it. So not only did I have to go to the Post Office on my day off, I ended up paying $20.95 to have my power cord back. After all said and done I should have paid the $20 and stayed at a nice hotel with good staff.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ambyr c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Yakima, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

This place was HORRIBLE. When we arrived the front desk older lady was smacking gum and she looked like she had a mouth full of rotten teeth. There was a larger lady behind the counter with her that was wearing the most dirtiest clothes and a ball cap. She too missing teeth. The large lady actually excused herself by tell the front desk lady bye baby, come to my room when your done so we can finish.?? WHAT??? We didnt ask. Anyway, we get our room key to the first floor room and wow. substandard it was. The room smelled of cigarette smoke and the tv was not working. I called the front desk to get resolved. They said they were sending their maintenance supervisor to remedy the problem personally. Well, she bangs on the door, walks in and said she didnt quite know how to hook up the dvd player. AND she was in her pajamas at 7:30pm and smelled of alcohol and cigarettes. I asked if she was going to fix it. She said she would return shortly. Never returned. I was walking downstairs to the front desk and low and behold. I she the lady at the desk and this maintenance supervisor actually, what looked like sneaking a kiss between the two walkways as the both strolled down to a room. DISCUSTING.. We will never stay where the staff cannot maintain their romance during their working hours. BTW, we never got the dvd working and we checked out the very next morning. The swimming pool looked like a hazy green dye was added and the hottub was partially working. Much better motels and resorts in long beach than to go here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

Sumner, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

We had four adults, three kids (5, 8 and 13) and a golden lab. I was told when I booked the room, "it's not a remodeled unit, but it's clean". It wasn't clean. The bedding was changed, but the rest of the room was filthy. Thanks but no thanks for the candy dish on top of the fridge with hard candy and dust on the candy and dish (a true sign of how long it had been since the top of the fridge was cleaned!). One of the doors, to our adjoining rooms, looked like it was kicked in/broken down. The smoke alarm was chirping, so we were going to remove the cover, take out the battery and get a new one from the desk, however, when we tried to remove just the cover, the entire alarm came out of the ceiling. It had been placed in a hole in the ceiling which use to have a light. The wires weren't even capped off! The floors did not appear to be vacuumed. I'm okay with old, but not with dirt.

The shower in one of the rooms was basically a trickle. The other one was "okay", but nothing to brag about.

The pool was okay as far as the temperature, but beware if you have small children. The shallow end is 5 ft!! The "kiddie" pool is the old hot tub, which was colder than the pool. At least the newer hot tub was hot and the sauna worked. The pool area itself had the same garbage on the floors and benches when we went swimming late Saturday afternoon as it did on Friday night. There didn't seem to be much chlorine in the pool and the water looked a bit murky. Not kept up very well at all.

This is suppose to be a pet friendly place, however, upon return from the beach, we couldn't find a hose or spout to rinse our feet off or the dog, before re-entering the rooms.

My overall impression was this was a really nice place at one time, but has been going down hill for a long time.

We go to Long Beach several times a year. This was a last minute, unexpected visit due to an out of town grandson visiting, so we didn't have many choices as far as finding a place for the entire weekend, with a pool and one which was pet friendly. Our normal place was booked up.

We had another couple (aunt & uncle) come along and they had a room at the other end of the complex. Same floor. She said the TV was basically useless because all they could see was a lot of fuzz. They also felt their room wasn't cleaned very well.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jlmartin0126
Marysville, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

My family of 9 and I have been coming here since I was 6 and they have never let us down. The enviroment is great and is very relaxing. The beach is AMAZING just because it's such a close access. It is a little older but thats what gives it character and a warm family feel:) This place is the bes!!

Room Tip: The Kitenets are the BEST!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Micnellie
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

We were looking very forward to our stay here to Celebrate our Daughters 16th Birthday, We Choose this Lodge because of all the Amenities, location and Overall Look of the Lodge from the Website, To say the Least we were not so Excited when we Arrived :( Our Deluxe Suite that we were told had been Upgraded and remodeled was not That Impressive at all, The Building is Very Dated and Old Looking the Hallways to the Rooms are Dingy and Dirty, Our Room door looked as though it had been kicked in at some point. as we came into the Suite, I will say it was Spacious,and the Kitchen was Decent, As for the Bedroom it did'nt look as though anything had been remodeled or updated at all, We had a heck of a time getting a Dvd player that Actually worked, It took the Co-owner to come to the Lodge and get one from another room so we could watch a movie. As far as Sleeping there the First night was very quite and Peaceful :) however the Next night ( Friday) Some Very Loud and Direspectful People were put in the Room right below us, It took calling the Front Office Twice at 11:30 pm and again at 12:00am before things became quiet. Pool was not heated, Hot Tub was cold until our last night there,& the game room what a Joke, one game that worked,No Resturant on location either. Overall Website on this place is Very Misleading :( we made the best out of it however would not stay there again...

Room Tip: no comment
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank greenfam4
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

My mom took me to Chautauqua Lodge a lot when I was a kid, I take my kids now. The staff is always fantastic and the rooms are always clean. The beach access is very close and easy.

This time though we were really disappointed in the pool, hot tub and sauna. With four kids on spring break this was crucial! Staff handled my concerns very well but the owners need to know that they are going to lose a long-time, loyal customer if they don't ensure these amenities are working properly. I will have to look for a hotel that does have a warm pool and a functioning hot tub. I expected them to have the amenities up and running properly for spring break. This was not the case.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank whackyforthebeach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2010

Friendly and helpful staff. Room was clean. Fireplace was out of order. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub. Disappointed the sauna was out of order though.

• Stayed August 2010