All reviews chinook pass gas station the river window seat cottage
Reviewed July 13, 2015

My wife and I used to stop in frequently to hear Donny play in the bar. The atmosphere was always lively and the food was good. Now, Donny has left, the food has gone downhill and the atmosphere is sluggish at best. There is a high turnover of help too. We also eat breakfast in the dining room occasionally where turnover is also high. Today they were vacuuming the carpet around us while we ate. Not a pleasant experience.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mikebI7715EC
Reviewed May 27, 2015 via mobile

Just don't bother with the hotel, restaurant ok. I don't see my previous post. Place in need of serious update. I've been coming here for 30+ years to restaurant that's always been out of date but first time at hotel. Just gross and dangerous due to no phone service-cell and land line

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kim W
Reviewed September 27, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I are still happily eating our way through The Pacific Northwest on our vacation. We didn't stay here but did stop for food.

The restaurant is beautiful and out of another time: Dark and lodgy, cozy yet with a feeling of formality. You feel special as you sit and look out of the large windows onto the beautiful grounds and forest beyond.

The service was excellent and friendly. The menu is limited and items are on the pricy side. Remember that you are miles from anywhere here and food must be trucked in.

I got the monte cristo sandwich and clam chowder. The chowder is excellent. Someone here knows that you need bacon and butter to make clam chowder. It also is seasoned properly and doesn't need to be salted at the table.

The monte cristo was the best I have ever had. The turkey is real, not pressed. The ham is good quality and the cheeses are likewise (Swiss and American). The bread is well-dipped in egg batter. The fresh blueberry sauce on the side is the finishing touch.

My wife got the chili. I tried a taste and was really impressed. It is made with roast beef and has a great flavor and a good kick but not overly hot either.

Both of our meals were huge.

One last thought about my sandwich: The egg batter is not sweetened or spiced--sometimes simple is the best.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NLK2220
Reviewed September 2, 2014

Whistlin Jack Lodge is an old-style lodge right on the Naches River in the Washington Cascades. It has a marvelous restaurant and a great old-fashioned ambience. A gas station and gift shop are on site as well.

Room Tip: The rooms in the lodge are very nice and all have a view of the river.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2014

This lodge (inn and cabins) is in a great location very close to Mt. Rainier National Park and Yakima Valley wine/beer country. This place has a lot of potential. But has some key limitations. The cabins are nice but a bit dated (we stayed in a cabin). Internet access is only available in the main building (restaurant and front desk, not sure about the Inn portion of the lodge). The main problem is their extremely slow kitchen and amateurish service in the restaurant. Their customers include a fair number day hikers and tourists who have been wandering around Rainier National Park and the nearby national forest and wilderness areas. This particular clientele usually is very eager to do three things at the end of their day: eat, drink (good beer on tap if possible or local wine) and sleep. It is very difficult to understand how the restaurant could be so slow - waits of 30 mins - 1hour for breakfast and dinner in our case. One couple walked out after waiting 30mins for - no one bothered to take their order! This place used to be pretty good but it looks like their restaurant management and employee training is non-existent. A good owner could turn this place into a gold mine by improving service and tying into the Yakima Valley food/wine/beer scene.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family