“Great view of the Marina!”
Review of Budd Bay Cafe

Budd Bay Cafe
Ranked #13 of 374 Restaurants in Olympia
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 28, 2017

I got the Fisherman's Stew to go, and it was plentiful and very delicious! It had just enough seafood and the perfect balance of variety. My co-workers went for their (before 6 p.m.) dinner special; which they raved about the next day. They went back again the next day.

Reviewed October 27, 2017

Great dining place, good food, service, and atmosphere. Happy to go there again! Got a surprise with the Sunset dinner, very good.

Reviewed October 23, 2017

It's been years since I patronized Budd Bay Cafe. Years ago, they were a fabulous restaurant. They had a walk up window where you could buy a cup of their clam chowder to go, which really was great on one of our gray, rainy days. But then someone bought it out, the window shut down, and the quality went down fast. I resolved to never go back.

However, yesterday was another of our Rainy Days...we get a lot of them...and we were hungry right now. So we chanced Budd Bay.
The decor had changed a little, but not by much. We had no reservations (on a Sunday at noon!) but were seated within five or ten minutes. The place was packed!
After a very long perusal of the menu..I almost had to resort to a coin flip..I chose the lunch menu seafood stew. It was quite good. They could have replaced the smoked salmon with rockfish, but that's just my opinion. The calamari rings were properly cooked, the clams were few and the bay scallops extremely small. The broth was perfect...not too salty, either. Two large hunks of garlic bread served to sop it up, and a dollop of white rice helped, too. I ama bit dismayed at the small portions but would probably get it again.
My husband ordered a cup of chowder and a buffalo burger. Half way through my meal I noticed his buffalo looked an awful lot like salmon. Well, that's because it was. The server had misheard him and gave him salmon instead of buffalo. This is why, servers, it's a good idea to write a customer's order down rather than rely on one's memory, especially on a very busy day. Nevertheless, the server admitted to the mistake and took 10% off the bill.

All in all, it was a good, if spendy, dining experience and we will go back. They serve a brunch that included in my glimpse baron of beef...so if you choose the brunch buffet you won't go hungry.
The bathrooms were clean, parking was ample and free. I'm betting you will need reservations for more traditional times, but as I said, we did get in.

1  Thank SeattleMeadowlark
Reviewed October 20, 2017 via mobile

We were looking forward to some good food and service. Overall, we had neither. It was a slow night for the restaurant, so we were seated quickly. That was the last time we could describe our service as quick. It took our server quite awhile to acknowledge us. Throughout the evening she seemed more invested with conversations at other tables.

The clam chowder was the consistency of condensed soup straight from the can. The sourdough bread was very tasty, but we couldn't get a second basket because we were ignored. The spinach salad with chicken and goat cheese was so good. The large salad was generous, and leftovers came home with us. The combo seafood platter was huge, but the size was due to all the seafood being on top of French fries. They could have cut the amount in half and it would have been enough. The seafood was flavorful. Something was amiss with the coleslaw. It was bland, with very little flavor. Another disappointment.

We would not return. The service was poor, and some of the food was not at all up to par.

Reviewed October 12, 2017 via mobile

The menu is full of yummy seafood, but there is something for everyone. Short, but good cocktail list and a variety of NW wines and beers.

Been to Budd Bay Cafe? Share your experiences!