“Time Travel”

Palace Hotel Port Townsend
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Reviewed 24 October 2017

This hotel is like stepping back into the early 1900's. No, really, nothing has changed. And I'm pretty sure the place is haunted. Did I love the hotel? No. Did I hate it? No. What a tough review to write. So let's weigh it out. I liked the comfortable beds, the amazing location, the customer service and the room (Miss Kitty is the corner room on the 3rd floor). The view in the morning was spectacular! I liked having a small "kitchen" area and was happy to have a fan in the room. And again, the location cannot be beaten. Oh, and the whole place continually smelled of pizza (I scent I like, but others may not). BUT, as others have stated, there are no elevators, and the stairs go forevvvveeeerrrr. The place is dusty and old. Our room had a strange "old" smell, and there were dusty cobwebs on the ceiling fan and curtains. The windows seemed to be original, which, on a Friday night, made our room super noisy. The downstairs bar, across the street, was having "punk night" and we heard every yell, drum beat, and song. So if a cozy night in is your idea of a vacation, the Lords of Punk (or whatever band was playing) might ruin that for you.
Overall, I'd prefer a more modern hotel. But I'm sure there are many people who would enjoy the nostalgia of Victorian times and find the hotel charming and time-travel-esque ( a word I just made up.)

Room Tip: Miss Kitty is a corner room on the top floor and is the "quietest" room.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RachJim

Reviewed 4 October 2017

I was attending an event at a nearby venue, where all the other attendees were staying, and wanted a place to escape from the festivities. What a great plan that was! The hotel was absolutely charming and the bed and furnishings were comfortable! I booked the Captain Tibbal's room which had two beds (in case one of the other attendees needed time away) and loved that room! The spaciousness of the room and the nice attached bathroom were key features that made my stay enjoyable.

Don't expect modern conveniences like elevators, pools, saunas, etc. at this hotel. This is how hotels used to be, so expect to step back in time, enjoy what is available to you in a well maintained older hotel with some modern additions. The in-room refrigerator and coffee pot, and WiFi (reliable and sufficient) were modern touches that bring the guest back to the present.

The hotel room that I had was close to the street but it was relatively quiet after hours with the exception of when the nearby bars closed. The intoxicated patrons of the nearby bars didn't seem think that guests might be sleeping in the hotel above them and were not quiet at all. I don't blame the hotel for that. Chances are, if I had been drinking with that crowd, I wouldn't concern myself with people staying at a downtown hotel either.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Whiteflash7
Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Don't be fooled by the 4 Star reviews. This place is barely a 1.

59 stairs to the top floor for the rooms with a view. NO elevator! Not ADA compliant.

I don't mind old, I didn't even mind the stairs so much, but I do expect more for what I paid. It should be cleaner, it should have Internet, and a hair dryer. Yes no $20.00 hair dryer in the room!Big problem for the ladies that expect one.

They need to do better.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2017

My husband and I spent two nights here in July. We loved the property, with its many sitting/lounging areas, books, games, and pianos. The rooms are named after working girls, as this place used to be brothel. Our room was spacious, filled with quirky details and furnishings and the attached bathroom was spotless -- and enormous. We loved the claw-foot tub. There was plenty of hot water and excellent water pressure.

The staff was lovely. We had one issue (not the hotel's fault) that was quickly and fairly resolved.

The hotel is in a great location. We parked our car out back and left it there for the entire stay as we walked to restaurants, book stores and the harbor.

I hope to get back to Port Townsend and, if I do, will definitely stay here!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2017

The staff is very friendly & accommodating. Hotel staff told visitors they can wander throughout and visit any suites that had open doors. How lovely! We checked in to #3 - Marie room, and then wandered around. Cozy, decorative, plenty of lounging areas, in the heart of the town, and not far from wonderful places to explore! Wifi is free, interesting history, the ghost stories.. simply delightful! I fully recommend this hotel & will be sure to visit it again!

Room Tip: You can view open rooms before you settle in!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

My family went to visit friends last July and we always looking forward to stay at the Palace Hotel. We had a wonderful time staying at the Palace. The room is cozy and clean. Everything we need were all there in the room. The nostalgic feel as we walk upstairs made the stay quite classic. This made our trip wonderful.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

A nice, quiet hotel with fun historic charm. The bathrooms are somewhat updated, but don't expect the amenities of a newer chain hotel. Feels like spending a night in the late 1800s, in a good way. Rooms were clean and maintained. I have stayed here twice in the last 3 years, and will happily stay here again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
22.1 km away
Sequim Bay Lodge
Sequim Bay Lodge
#8 of 9 in Sequim

Been to Palace Hotel Port Townsend? Share your experiences!