See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We just spent our one year anniversary here with Barb and Charlie and loved every minute of it. We stayed in the cottage and spent a lot of time in the garden sipping coffee and enjoying the view. In the evening we took our complimentary Shari in the garden and brought home delicious dessert from the Owl Spirit Cafe and watched the sun set. Mornings were our favorite time here though, we loved the family style breakfast where we could meet fellow travelers from around the world and have a nice meal while sharing our stories over some of the best drip coffee I have ever had (and I'm from Seattle)! We loved the accommodations and the company so we will definitely be staying again and again and again....

OK, this part of the review from the 30 year old husband:
its a B&B, so I figured blue plates on the wall, squeaky wooden bed and 75 year old plumbing. I was wrong on all accounts! The food was very good, Barb and Charlie going out of their way to make sure all dietary concerns were met, the room was decorated comfortably and not full of antiques I was scared to use, had WiFi, cable, and a modern feel in the bathroom. I was more comfortable here than at the last Best Western I was in, and this was cheaper too. I am definitely going to recommend this place to anyone headed up there, not only a romantic place to stay, just an all around great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JamesKateFrank
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Loved staying at Thornton House. Barbara and Charlie are gracious hosts and the breakfasts are supurb. The location is within walking distance of uptown and downtown Port Townsend in a very quiet, eclectic neighbourhood. Ready to return to the comfortable home and lovely bedroom.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sheret
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I rarely give a five star review. The only other stay that has earned such was over three years ago. Thornton House is a B and B, and so visitors should expect such. A Bed and Breakfast should, in my opinion, emulate a stay at a family friend's house....maybe a family friend whose son is hoping to marry your daughter and wants to make a fabulous impression.

Charlie and Barbara were very gracious hosts. We stayed in the detached room which was spotless, comfortable and very private. The grounds are beautiful and Barbara was working in the garden while Charlie welcomed us and settled us in. We took a short walk into town for supper. Truly, the walk is hardly grueling, and I am a 40-something, pudgy woman who happened to have a broken toe at the time.

The recommendation for supper was spot-on. Breakfast the next morning was made by Charlie and served at a very civilized hour. Though I would have preferred fewer carbohydrates (we had waffles), I had not mentioned this preference beforehand. The food was fresh and very good, and breakfast conversation was lively.

I highly recommend this spot for a romantic get-away (we were celebrating an anniversary). When Charlie and Barbara set about refurbishing and remodeling this home they spared little expense and really did a wonderful job of modernizing while keeping the spirit of the home. Their new kitchen left me wanting a big remodel at my own home! The room in which we stayed was wonderfully comfortable, and none of the chipped old make-do furnishings and details normally found in so many of the B and Bs we have tried in the past. Nicely done!

Room Tip: The detached room is the one we chose and it was very quiet and very private and comfortable. I am sure the experience would be quite different in the interior space.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Aljameela
Reviewed July 29, 2012

It's hard not to be a bit over the top about Thornton House B and B. Barbara and Charlie really have thought of everything that makes staying in a B and B a great travel experience.
Things we loved: The good cheer and warmth of the owners, the savory breakfasts--especially Barbara's biscuits, the way Charlie anticipated our need for tea to soothe a raspy throat, a dinner reservation, ice for our journey home, the softness of the sheets and pillows and towels, the charming garden, the short and interesting walk to town (poppies and lavender blooming everywhere)---we couldn't have been happier there.
We're looking forward to a longer stay next time!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LynneEllen310
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I think it is important to share what I think with other travelers, so here is my honest opinion. I am surprised that this had gotten nothing but perfect scores. For me to give a perfect score, a place has to be extraordinary, above and beyond in some way. I found the Thornton House to be simply average. The room was clean but sparse. The breakfast was large but not particularly tasty. I was not pleased with the location, which was quite a ways from uptown, and farther from downtown. I can see how some would be happy, but for the money charged, I believe there are better options.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple