“Very nice stay, would definitely stay again!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Swan Hotel

Swan Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Port Townsend
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Very nice stay, would definitely stay again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at The Swan the weekend of Nov. 12, 2011. We were on the second floor and had a lovely view of the water and boats. Our room was well-appointed, and most importantly, perfectly clean. Lots of coffee and tea available, a fridge,microwave, and a good location, just steps from downtown. The staff was very friendly. Hope we can get back there! Kathy and Craig Lesley.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathy L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

I stay at The Swan once a year when I visit Port Townsend for an art retreat. The service is good and the people are very friendly. I started out in one of the small rooms on the ground floor and then moved to one of their cabins. I've never stayed in any of the rooms on the higher floors because there's no elevator and I do not pack light.

The ground floor room I stayed in was small but charming and cozy. The cabin is of course bigger, but still very cozy and my home away from home with everything one could possibly need for a week-long stay: microwave, refrigerator, free internet and a gas fireplace to keep you toasty. There's a supermarket in town that is open 24 hours for the ultimate in convenience and the cabins have their own designated parking spot just steps from your front door. Also worth noting, the local pizza shop, Waterfront Pizza, is SO GOOD and they deliver. :)

Many shops and restaurants are within walking distance, but I would suggest renting a car to really go exploring. You'll want to visit nearby Fort Worden State Park, which is only about a ten minute drive from this hotel.

And now for the DRAWBACKS:
Right across the street there is a bar where folks like to hang out front and sometimes they can get a bit loud. The window treatments are a bit thin and so the privacy factor can be an issue, especially with the above mentioned bar folk. And one more thing that may or may not be a problem for you (certainly not for me because I stay by myself) but the bathroom wall in the cabin doesn't go all the way to the ceiling. It's more like a partition wall, so there's not a whole lot of privacy to be had there, if you happen to be staying with another person.

But, like I said, this is my home away from home and I definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you are disabled or just have heavy luggage, I recommend the ground floo...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
DDobie, Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor! We’re glad to hear that you’ve had a lovely stay and found a home away from home! We always strive to ensure that your visit is as comfortable and convenient as possible and we’re happy to hear that you’ve enjoyed our various complimentary amenities such as free Wifi and wired internet access, mini kitchenette and propane fireplace. We also offer additional extras free of charge with our cottages, including coffee and tea service, jetted tubs, robes, HDTV, and DVD player.

In regards to the drawbacks you mentioned, we do apologize for any noise that interrupted your stay. The American Legion Hall is across the street and although it is quiet most nights, the occasional merriment of its patrons can be heard. As for the bathroom walls in the cottages; yes, they do not reaching the ceiling, but we consider it part of their cozy charm. However, all of the bathrooms in our studio rooms are fully enclosed, for guests who prefer such accommodations.

Hope to see you for next year’s art retreat!
Vancouver, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

I stayed in The Swan Cottage #2 in October. My second stay at the hotel, I'd remembered how clean and cozy the cottage had been when I'd stayed here before years ago. The hotel is within walking distance of old town shops and The Swan provides a little map pointing out places to eat nearby.
Our stay was for 2 nights, we parked the car and walked to nearby shops and restaurants. Everything we needed was in the cottage: tv, coffee maker, microwave, fridge, and a gas wood stove that warms up the room in minutes. Even in October, the gardens along the back were still pretty, but a little too cool and damp to sit in our adirondack chairs.

Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

Nice room. Free internet, in room coffee, refrigerator.

Room Tip: I would stay on 2nd floor
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

My girlfriend and I took a quick little weekend getaway to PT. I was hesitant to book at the Swan as the photos on the website made the rooms look very cold and plain, but when we checked in were pleasantly surprised! Stayed on the second floor where our room had french doors and a wonderful shared deck. Was very clean and comfortable. Only complaint was the people above were quite noisy early in the morning! Overall excellent place with friendly staff and a great location.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Vancityjay
Woodinville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

We spent the weekend of Oct. 15th, 2011 at the Swan Hotel taking up several rooms, cabins and the penthouse because of a wedding we were having at the Maritime musuem. Believe me, I was extremely concerned about cabin 3 after reading the reviews and I can tell you, my sister in law and I personally checked every room and mattress when we checked in and even late at night with a flashlight and it was bug free and spotless. I would never have let my friends and family stay if I had seen otherwise. Charming and friendly place. Housekeeping was exceptional. Good work girls!! The penthouse was awesome for family and friend gatherings.

Room Tip: We stayed in the penthouse with my daughter and grandchildren. Awesome. My sister in law stayed in a...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Reenie65
Puyallup, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

Checked in on October 5, 2011 and was given Cottage 3. Was awaken at 2:45am by about two dozen BED BUGS. Most were on the pillows and near the head of the bed but several were found at the foot of the bed. I called the front desk and they said they'd tell housekeeping in the morning! When I checked out early the next morning they claimed to never have had the problem but they suspiciously had a supply of large, heavy weight garbage bags behind the count which they offered so I could store my clothes and prevent the spread of bed bugs/

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank Ken M
DDobie, General Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
Yes, we have our first case of bedbugs in 16 plus years of operations. The incident occurred in one of the Cottages at our Swan Hotel.

We appreciate the guest making us aware of the possibility of a bedbug infestation situation; the guest was of course refunded his money and the cottage was immediately taken out of service. Our Pest Control firm was immediately contacted and upon their arrival confirmed the presence of bedbugs, and further determined the infestation was isolated to the headboard of one unit, stand alone Cottage C3. Their treatment process began immediately. Based on their advice the unit will stay out of service for a minimum of thirty days to complete the cleansing and purification and post cleansing testing processes. All of this was and is consistent with our current best practices for bedbug infestation. We were of course pleased to report they found no evidence of bedbugs in any other cottage or rooms in entire Swan Hotel facility during their initial call out.

Our morning innkeeper has had extensive prior experience managing large hotels in California. She intuitively knew that it would be a good idea to give the guest some trash bags to minimize the possibility of further transferring these insects in the event any are tagging along in guest luggage or clothes. We sincerely hope this offer of service was not misconstrued.

Our entire housekeeping, innkeeping and administrative staff will take our pest control firm’s updated “early detection training program” to further improve our ability to detect the presence of bedbugs before a guest encounters them during a stay. We plan to repeat this training every six months to maintain the appropriate level of sensitivity to this potential.

Personal residences, commercial office buildings, apartment buildings along with hotels are all affected with the re-emergence of these insects over the past 10 to 15 years. According to the insect experts there is no connection between to the level of cleanliness of a property, the people using the property and bedbugs. If there is any good thing to say about bedbugs it is they do not spread diseases and are not consider a public health issue.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience experienced by the guest in C3 and we will continue to follow industry best practices for this type of situation.