“Good, But Pricey for Lunch”
Review of The Fountain Cafe

The Fountain Cafe
Ranked #4 of 105 Restaurants in Port Townsend
Price range: US$8 - US$17
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 11, 2018

Went there solo for lunch yesterday. Sat at the counter, which was very uncomfortable. Be forewarned, if you are a party of less than four people, you will be sitting with strangers.
The limited lunch menu is pretty foo-foo and contained few items that I was really interested in, but settled for a Turkey Reuben sandwich, which was "different", but quite good. The small salad that came with it contained julienned carrots, red onions, and greens that was accompanied by a tasty blue cheese dressing. For my tastes the sandwich was quite pricey at $17, and I would have preferred a traditional choice of pastrami as the choice of meat.
The dinner menu looks enticing and without the degree of sticker shock that comes with lunch.

Reviewed November 10, 2018

Food is always delicious here. Every time we come to Port Townsend we eat here and have never been dissappointed. Do make a reservation early though - very small restaurant and it fills up fast.

Reviewed November 6, 2018 via mobile

This is a casual place and somewhat funky. The food was good and very generous. I found the Chicken Marsala to be a different take on a standard dish with yummy mushrooms and perhaps cranberries, but much more food than I could eat. The wines available by the glass were disappointing. With so many good Washington wines to choose from, their selection was average at best.

Reviewed November 6, 2018 via mobile

Our favorite dining place on all of the Notthwest! Having lived in Seattle and other major cities, The Fountain Cafe is the best dining experience anywhere. Owner operated, very extensive menu of farm to table and regional seafood plus other selections ALL perfectly prepared served. Small, intimate, personal and the food is just consistently the best anywhere. Amazing for such a small town,

Reviewed October 31, 2018

On our last day in Port Townsend, I really wanted oysters for dinner. After looking at menus online and seeing that The Fountain Cafe had a couple of oyster dishes we decided to have dinner there. We arrived shortly after five p.m. and were told to pick any table. There are about ten tables in the whole restaurant which is very small. Of those tables only two were occupied. We sat and were greeted by our server, Drew. After looking at the menu and noticing that there were no oysters, we were told by Drew that the online menu was old, and they hadn't had oysters on the menu for several years! I was disappointed, but we decided to stay as the menu looked good. We ordered wine and I had the pasta with prosciutto and my friend had the prawn pasta. We asked for more bread and an extra napkin and I had the impression that we had asked for gold! As the server was leaving the table, he rolled his eyes and grimaced! Our food was delivered, and it was okay. Standard pasta fare, nothing special. But it wasn't the food that rates this review, it was the abysmal service. After the food was set on our table, not ONCE did anyone stop by to see how it was. Mind you, this is a ten table restaurant and only 3 tables were occupied. We could see and hear everything the two servers were doing and saying. We sat for a full hour with empty wine glasses. I did not find that it was my job to stand up and walk over to our waiter to ask for more wine. Finally my friend asked for the check and at that point we were offered dessert. I have been in the food industry for over 20 years and have never experienced the awful feeling that I wasn't wanted in an establishment. I do not recommend this restaurant when there are other places in Port Townsend with wonderful food and service. P.S, as of this writing the oysters are still on their online menu!

Date of visit: October 2018