“A beautiful and relaxing getaway” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Cave B Estate Winery & Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Quincy
Seattle, WA
“A beautiful and relaxing getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We recently enjoyed an anniversary get-away at this lovely inn/winery. We've heard many wonderful things about this spot from our own customers over the past few years, and we were delighted to find the rave reviews come true! We stayed in one of the cliff suites--a gorgeous private "cabin" with floor to ceiling windows looking out over the magnificent views of the gorge and surrounding plateaus. A huge double-sided fireplace, comfy leather couch and deep soaking tub made relaxing so enjoyable. The estate wines are good, the restaurant may be trying a bit too hard to come up with interesting combinations of food that have little cohesiveness and the pricing of the meals is pretty steep (a la carte chicken breast for $34 is a little high, we think) . Still, it's a wonderful spot for a special getaway.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Paradise Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

This is a unique property which my wife and I totally enjoyed. It may not be for everyone.

The hotel is in a very remote area. Cell phone service is spotty. There is minimal TV reception. They provide a collection of out of date DVDs that you can borrow.

The ground-level cave rooms should be avoided. They have an amazing views but afforded no privacy from the common area lawn. The rooms have a sort of "do it yourself" luxury quality. The decor is somewhat nonstandard and lacks a cohesive theam that would be seen at a more commercial property.

I would not bring children here.

The property is situated in an active winery. The trails connecting the buildings are rough and not all that well maintained. This would be difficult for a person with mobility issues.

The restaurant was excellent every time.

The service was good. Parking, bell service, valet etc are limited by small staff and the layout of the property(not 4 or 5 star prompt).

What a great place to disconnect from the world and reconnect with someone special!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SkiNbeach
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I would give this place 5 stars if only a few things were tweaked.

We went away for a romantic getaway in March for a weekend at Cave B. First of all, I am impressed with their service. I had arranged for a bottle of wine and cheese plate as well as a birthday surprise in our room but the day before I had to postpone our getaway a few weeks. They were super nice about it and made sure our spa reservations, dinner reservations and the wine and cheese were switched with no problem whatsoever. Finally we arrive...what a spectacular location, right on the cliffs of the Columbia! It is truly breathtaking. I have not seen a more amazing location in Washington. Every employee we came in contact with from the moment we walked in the front door to check out was incredibly friendly and helpful. We headed to our Cliff House and I was stunned at the views from the windows. The wine and cheese were there as promised. The room is tastefully decorated, clean and comfortable. After settling in we headed over to the tasting room for some wine. The tasting room has wine related gifts, snacks, water and other gifts for purchase. We tasted all the wines and honestly I was quite impressed. (and we do a lot of wine tasting) We left with two bottles and two free glasses (a nice touch). We explored the property before dinner and were amazed at what a quiet and beautiful location this place is in. We shared some wine while watching the sunset over the gorge and wow! We had dinner reservations but we didn't really need them as the restaurant was fairly empty. We had impeccable service and I was pleasantly surprised at the top notch food. It was more than I expected. Their menu isn't extensive but what we did have was fantastic. We headed back to the room to watch movies and just enjoy the quiet (and boy is this location ever quiet) We slept fantasticas the bed is incredibly comfortable but shut the shades, the rising sun will wake you up early!
The following day they had a complimentary continental breakfast set out but honestly for a continental breakfast it was really good. Fresh fruit of all sort, coffee, tea, juices, granola, pastries and they had two kinds of quiches for an additional charge. The quiche was fantastic. We spent the day hiking down to the river, unbelievable views but it's a bit strenuous...be prepared for a good workout. In the late afternoon we headed to the spa. It is small but quite comfortable, clean and well set up. I had the "Indigenous Bliss", a chardonnay sugar scrub and hot stone massage. It was amazing, relaxing and delightful. My partner had a deep tissue massage and although his massage was good he said his therapist was WAY too talkative and that made it hard for him to relax. We had eaten at the restaurant the night before and as they had a limited menu and we wanted to stay in we didn't eat there again. Luckily we had brought some food with us. I was wishing however that they had room service of some sort. I did call and see if I could get an order of their bacon-wrapped prawns (delicious) to go and they did accomodate me. We really didn't want to leave but when we did we were relaxed and renewed.

The ONLY negatives of the trip and the reason I rated it "almost": I found a couple of hairs on the bed and one on the coffee maker.. The teapot provided had dirty water in it. The massage therapist for my partner was too talkative and kind of ruined his relaxation. The in-room guide said they had a breakfast buffet on Sundays (we even checked the dates) and we planned on this. Not so, just the continental. The DVD player had seriously limited capabilities, they need to upgrade this. This place is in the middle of nowhere and if you forget something you're in trouble. They should offer amenities such as toothbrushes, etc. Some sort of room service would be fantastic if you just want to stay in. A jacuzzi on the porch of the Cliff Houses would be an amazing touch.

All in all, this was an amazing trip and I would go again in a second, however with just a few tweaks such as attention to detail with cleanliness, less talkative massage therapists, added amenities, an updated in room guide, room service and perhaps some rooms offering jacuzzis this place could be a top notch destination.

TIPS: This place is in the middle of nowhere and towns are far away. Make sure you pack everything you need. Also, it's QUIET and activities are limited. I wished I had brought a book or two. Although they accommodated me with a take-out request, there is no room service and there is a limited menu. Bring snacks! It's DARK at night, if you walk around the property at night, although the walkways are somewhat lit, bring a flashlight. Bring your hiking boots!

Room Tip: We stayed in Cliff House 12. It is on the very end, quiet and secluded!
1 Thank BLBTraveler
seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

I'm always a very positive person! The view and hiking around this property is magnificent. The desert sounds and smells were very new. The hotel itself lacks the same. The dog poop and cigarette butts outside the door to my room was disturbing. When I asked the front desk to pick it up, they picked up one & left the rest, which hindered my 5 am walk from taking place, I stayed on my patio. The restaurant does not fit the surrounding environment. The menu does not offer enough verity and portions of food to let alone hike but make it from your room to the dining room. With that being said the staff was very helpful but the bill was explosive! I rate this portion of my stay a 1-2 of a 10. I purchased dessert, I was unable to carry the tray & dishes to my room on the poorly lite & uneven pathway to my room safely. Shame on you for doing this to your customers. I could not image hiking and wanting a nice meal and receiving 6 bites of duck and 2 bites of salad! My bill for a bottle of wine two Jacks and 2 meals that left my stomach growling at 3 am was $ 205.00. It is no wonder the place is for sale! Fix this and fast.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Steve T
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We bought a Living Social because I've always wanted to stay here, but it's always been a bit pricey. With the Living Social deal, we got a taste for how incredible this place is and would definitely come back even without the deal.
When we arrived, we got a key to our own Cliffhouse which overlooked the Gorge river and was a few feet from the vineyard itself. Upon entering the cliff house we were greeted with wine glasses, luxurious robes, a fireplace, the most comfortable bed, and an incredible soaker tub.
After checking in we walked through the beautiful vineyards until we reached the tasting room. Tastes were only $6/person and that included exclusive Cave B wine glasses. We tasted 10 different wines - all delicious!
Later on we had dinner at their restaurant called Tendrils. We had a $100 gift certificate and used it all on 1 salad, 2 entrees, and 2 mixed drinks. It was very pricey and I believe, overpriced. My chicken entree was $30 and tasted pretty good, my husband got the pork bell for $30 and neither of us cared for it. It tasted like a unflavorful dried out pork chop. But in the morning it was redeemed - due to restaurant management changeover they didn't have a typical breakfast available so each guest received complimentary continental breakfast. It was so good! They had the best pastries I've ever had (fresh blueberry muffins and chocolate chip scones), yogurt & granola, fresh fruit, and various drinks. Definitely made up for the uneventful and overpriced dinner.
It was so hard to leave this place. If I had to describe it in one word, it'd be romantic. I can't wait to come back and even stay in a yurt!

Room Tip: Definitely pick a cliff house! We liked #14 because we were so close to the lodge.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rillabylund
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

We went in December so it snowed which only added to the adventure. It's a 3 hour drive from Seattle and during off season, the rates are very reasonable. They do close for a few weeks after Christmas so be sure to check before you make plans.

The Inn is very nice. We had a one-bedroom "Cliff House" which is a free standing building overlooking the Columbia Gorge/River. Fireplace with glass on 2 sides so you can enjoy it from the living room or the bedroom. The bathroom has a large glass shower and a soaking tub.

Nice materials used throughout - slate and wood with comfortable furniture. Coffee pot in the room is a nice plus. There's a dvd player and flat screen tv in the room with some movies to borrow in the lobby.

Our package included dinner in the restaurant which was amazing. Breakfast was great too. There is a winery and you can do a tasting. Also, a spa if you want more pampering.

We stayed here and used it as our base to do some hiking in the area. Quincy does not have much to offer in terms of restaurants or entertainment so be sure you bring or borrow movies, games and such.

There are concerts at the Gorge Amphitheater next door during the summer but I suspect the Inn gets pretty busy on concert weekends.

Room Tip: The Cliff House rooms all have gorge/river views with patios and furniture. The "yurts" a...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SunnyKobeCook
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

Every once in a while I need to escape the cold in Spokane in early Winter and this just the spot. An oasis in the high desert, get it all in one place: hiking, great wine, cliffhouse room fireplace, delicious cuisine, and you can even bring your dog!

• Stayed November 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quincy
39.8 km away
13.8 km away
Crescent Bar RV Resort
13.9 km away
The Suites at Crescent Bay Resort

Been to Cave B Estate Winery & Resort? Share your experiences!