“Great Eats- New Name”

Price range: US$0 - US$25
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 September 2016

We ate outside at the restaurant that used to be Scratch.The new name is Collective Kitchen Public House. My husband had gone there for lunch the day before and said it was good but I had to see for myself. Eating outside on Sherman Avenue is always loud but we still managed to carry on a conversation. We shared the cheese platter appetizer and I had the fish tacos for my entree. The cheese platter was unique with it's selection of cheeses, and accompaniments. The fish tacos were presented in a taco holder that held 3 small but filling tacos. For dessert we shared the chevre cheesecake which boasted a combination of cream cheese and goat cheese topped with a huckleberry glaze- it was rich and decadent.

Reviewed 11 September 2016 via mobile

The new name is Collective Kitchen. We sat outside on a blustery afternoon and ended up changing seats to get out of the sun, then back into the sun, out of the wind and finally inside.

The waitress was very patient and helpful with both the wine list and the menu. We had a couple of great glasses of rose and thoroughly enjoyed the lamb popsicles to start. Lamb was cooked to perfection.

For main courses we had duck breast with Brussel sprout hash (perfection) and pork ribs (more perfection). Two wonderful glasses of red were recommended.

Unfortunately the restaraunt filled up for a Sunday night, and with only one server some customers who arrived after us had challenging service, giving the room a stressed feeling.

Food and service were fantastic for us. Hope the staffing levels get better so everyone gets the experience we did

Reviewed 3 September 2016

We ate here twice. It was so good the first night we went back again the next. We ordered exactly the same food too! This restaurant changed the name to Collective Kitchen but still has Scratch on the Visa receipt. Husband ordered the ribs and declared they were some of the best he's had. Really loved the sauce which was barbeque with an Asian touch (maybe soy sauce!) I had the fish tacos both nights. The first night it was a delicate white fish so didn't really taste the fish much but the slaw and dressing were delicious. The 2nd night was salmon and lots of it! We didn't have dessert as the meals were filling enough. Nice casual place with great simple food!

Reviewed 18 August 2016

I love eclectic, laid back restaurants with the old hippie flair; the collective kitchen has great old wooden floors, but everything else was gray and drab. I really can't remember much about the decor, except the big windows looking out to the lovely downtown. The restaurant was empty when I walked in but there were dirty plates on every single table. The waitress told me to sit anywhere I wanted. Even though the place was empty, the service was extremely slow, the waitress bordered on rudeness--I was OK with her being rude, it looked as though they had just finished a rush and she was the only waitress there. She was a great multi-tasker, but in her hurry just sort of threw the food at me, slopped water on the table; I waited 15 minutes to get my credit card back after submitting it for payment. I asked a question about a product on the menu, but she told me she didn't know the answer and didn't have time to find it out. The food was well prepared and very tasty. I will probably give them one more try just to see if it was an off day, or if this is typical service they render to the customers.

Reviewed 6 August 2016 via mobile

We read good reviews and expected a memorable experience but sadly it was easily forgotten. The prawns in my dish were regular size shrimp. My husband's frittata was halved fingerling potatoes and chunks of corn beef instead of a hash as menu stated. Frittata was topped with an over cooked egg. Good selection of local beers and wine. Our waitress was very sweet but overextended; there was only one other wait staff for inside and outside tables. We noticed longer waits than expected for most tables. Was really ready to love Collective Kitchen.