“Mostly very good”

Ranked #334 of 903 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Soups
Reviewed 28 October 2015 via mobile

Definitely European.

The goulash soup was a hit and the star of the meal. Very tender chunks of beef in a very rich broth.

My wife's Putz sandwich was excellent. Nice toasted bread and spicy horseradish sauce packed with flavor.

My pastrami was run of the mill. No wheat bread and the French bread was very light. Too much bread to meat ratio.

Service was attentive but a little slow.

Neat selection of European grocery items.

Fair prices.

Worth a visit especially if you are a little homesick for the continent.

Reviewed 18 February 2015

I’ve gone to the Deli a few times now over the past year usually for a germen sausages or cheese for the family, and always noticed that they serve lunches. So today I thought I’d give it a try.

When I arrived the menus were at the counter. No big deal it’s a deli, I wouldn’t expect that they’d have waitresses. But the moment I got to the counter a younger women immediately asked what I wanted. I explained that I’ve never been here for lunch and needed a moment to look over their menu. I stepped to the side to look over the menu and upon deciding I returned to the counter. The young woman was assisting another customer with a deli purchase, and instead of finishing up with the other customer (since he was in front of me and ready to pay), she thought it was appropriate to immediately take my order and bypassed the other guy all together. It was very weird.

After she took my order she ran to the back to give to the owner/cook, returned, finished the transaction with the other customer, and then returned to me. I placed an order for a Ruben sandwich, side of warm potato salad, and red cabbage. I then noticed a see-through fridge full of desserts. Since I was returning back to work I thought it would be fun to bring back an assortment of things for us to try. So I also purchased 3 coconut cookie bars, cherry baklava, normal baklava, apple strudel, and a black forest cake slice. After I was given my order to go I left with a smile on face, excited to try all the wonderful food with my co-workers. Boy were we about to be disappointed.

When I got to work which was 5 min away, I opened up the container for my lunch. The red cabbage was alright, I tasted like it was from a jar and not made fresh. The potato salad was good and had an appropriate amount of vinegar, but the Ruben was sadly just “ok.” Nothing special.

Moving on I opened up the various assortments of desserts and eagerly cut them into small pieces for 19 people to try in my department. Yes 19 people. The people who got to try the Black forest cake, and the coconut cookie bars were the lucky ones. The normal baklava, cherry baklava, and apple strudel were all freezer burnt. Gross! And not a little bit freezer burnt, a lot! A co-workers even said, “it tastes chemically or something, kinda like Pine-Sol.” How embarrassing. I got my entire department to try their food and over half of the groups bites were freezer burnt. I can assure you that’s 19 prospective customers gone.

This is where it moves from embarrassing to outright rude. I called the Alpine Deli as a curtesy to let them know that 3 of their desserts were freezer burnt and went bad. It was the young women who picked up the phone and upon informing her of the problem with the desserts she put me on hold to give to her manager (the cook/owner I’m assuming). When she answered I explained that I was in the deli about an hour ago and bought all those desserts. She responded with a “Yea.” I then proceeded to tell her about the baklavas and strudel that I purchased, and that they were freezer burnt. She became immediately defensive and said “No, they are not freezer burnt. They haven’t been in there a long time (even-though she couldn’t name a date), maybe the fridge is just up to high or something.” I said all that I know is the food I purchased went bad, and I wanted to call as a curtesy so other people don’t accidently purchase it. She said, “No they are fine. Ok, bye”

Hahahahaha, I couldn’t believe it. No apology, no nothing. She didn’t even offer to refund the three deserts that went bad. Oh wait, she said they were fine. LOL.

I will no longer be going to the Deli even to pick up their meats and cheeses, and will not be recommending people to try them. If they don’t know how long their ready to serve items are, don’t know common curtesy, why should I trust their other products?

2  Thank Bobby C
Reviewed 11 October 2014

Excellent home-made sausages, sauerkraut, potato salad and desserts. This little deli is worth a stop! Delightful owners who treat everyone like a friend. Eat in or take out. Enjoy!

Reviewed 31 August 2012

Very good sandwiches. Off the beaten path but worth going to. The store is fun to look around, and if you are looking for good German deli, this is the place to go.

2  Thank marta079
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The Alpine Delicatessen is a little off the beaten path and doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside you will find the best little lunch shop in Spokane. The delicatessen is part of a German food market and gift shop. Lunch is served from a small menu for a few hours each day. All sandwiches are made fresh to order. Have tried several, all are *excellent*, though "The Putz" or a Weisswurst sausage are favorites. They also have a large selection of German meats, sausages, and cheeses to go as well as one of the best selections of German beers, wines, candies, and European specialty foods around. This place is always a priority for us when visiting Spokane.

1  Thank rt3

Been to Alpine Delicatessen? Share your experiences!