“Bad experience!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Arkansas
“Bad experience!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2008

April 27, 2008--Referencing Motel 6, 18ll S. 76th St., Tacoma, WA I would prefer to be writing good comments about my recent stay of ten days, but cannot , following the experience of my final night: which consisted of:

- being awakened at 2 o’clock a.m. by someone trying to get into the room twice,.

- being told I did not belong in that room when I called the front desk to report that someone tried to get in the door twice. Before going to bed I called the desk and asked for a 4 A.M. wake-up call. Now the clerk is telling me there is no record of that. My keycard was still working and when the maid cleaned that day my luggage and belongings were still in the room, so I don't know why they were not aware that the room was still occupied. I am a 73 year old woman. The desk clerk demanded that I bring my receipt and come to their outdoor window. It was now after two in the morning (cold out), I am in my nightclothes. The Security Guard was in the parking lot so I put my coat over my nightclothes and went to the outdoor window.

- John, who had done my check-in was on duty and when I told him he had inadvertantly printed the 20th instead of Monday the 21st, as requested,he became belligerent and rude, saying, "Now, don't you try to pin that on me. It is not my fault." When told that,was no way to speak to customers,John said I could just leave then. The manager was notified, didn't want to handle it at that time of the early morning and told the Security Guard to have me call her after my flight home.

I was quite shaken from someone trying to get into the room and the rudeness of the clerk but I went back to bed to try to get at least an hours rest before leaving for the airport for my long flight. All of a sudden,twelve to fifteen loud gunshots went off. People were at the motel windows peeking our and some were looking out open doors. I called 911. After the police arrived, my son who occupied a room around the corner, went and spoke with the police. They were picking up numerous spent cartridges from the street right in front of the motel, 76th Street. This, I understand, was a drive by shooting following a conflict between some young people which took place across the street at the Jack-in-the-Box

By this time, it was nearly time to prepare to leave for the airport...my nerves were "shot" and I was worn out. So much for a good nights rest at Motel 6!

My son only occupied his room four nights, three of which he could not enter his room when arriving each night. Each time he had to get it re-keyed. The first three days of my stay I had to get my key re-keyed as well. I don't know what their problem was.

Also, my son called the motel from the airport to notify them that he had forgotten his keys in the room. He explained to the clerk that his workbox keys were on that ring which he needed for his job and asked if they would be kind enough to mail them to him at his address in Georgia. He asked if they needed his credit card number for the postage and was told that would not be necessary. That was Monday, the 21st. On Thursday, the 24th I received a call at my home in Arkansas from the Assistant Manager asking for a credit card number to mail the keys. I gave her mine and asked to what address she was sending the keys. She read off my P.O. Box number. I, again, gave her my son's mailing address and stressed the urgency and asked her to please send the keys by the fasted service possible. My son cannot work without the toolbox and does not get paid when not at work. Today, the 27th, my son called the motel and they had not yet mailed the keys. He was told that the keys would be in tomorrows mail.

I did as asked and called three times asking to speak to the Manager, or Assistant Manager, after arriving home. I left requests for a return call after relating the reason I was calling. To date I have not had a return call. When speaking to the Assistant Manager when she called about the keys, I mentioned that to her and she commented that she had heard about the incident and that I was not being charged for that night.

It seems to me the courteous thing would have been a return call to let me know there would be no charge. Also, good management would have returned the call to apologize for the rude and discourteous acts of the desk clerk, John.

I have sent a letter to their Corporate Office at 146511 Dallas Parkway, Suite 500, Dallas, TX 75254. I wonder if they will reply!

The other staff members with whom I had contact while there were all very pleasant. The rooms were clean, with fairly new furniture and carpeting. I occupied a no-smoking room and found cigarette burns on the fairly new bathtub.

My two grown daughters occupied my room with me, so you may find their comments at a later date.

• Liked — It was clean
  • Disliked — My miserable last night....the inept rude desk clerk causing me to be awakened by someone trying to get into my room at two a.m. and the drive by shooting in the street out front..evidently it is not a good part of town
  • Stayed April 2008
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank arkyjobill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2008

What's convenient about this place is that it is next to a restaurant and close to the freeway entrance / exit. The room was brand new - it had new furnishings, bed, sheets, sink, toilet, and shower. For the price we got under $55 for the brand new room, no other hotel / motel near the area can't beat this. We didn't encounter any problem at all. Great place with smiley staff.

• Liked — brand new room and furnishings
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Austate
Northwest Coast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2007

Motel 6 in South Tacoma is a dump. I noticed first that there are permanent residents there. It is in a really scary neighborhood and people are coming and going all hours of the night in the middle of the week. My non-smoking room had an ashtray in it, smelled like smoke, and there were cigarette burns in the bedspread. There was a long black hair in the shower, one on my towel, and one in the bed. I was sitting on the toilet and noticed some speckles on the wall behind the door, about 6 feet up, in about a 6-inch diameter. On closer inspection, it turned out to be blood. I called the police about it, because this was not normal. Needless to say, management was less than impressed with me for this.

I tried to contact the corporation thru their automated feedback form about my issues, and when I clicked "send" it errored out, telling me to contact the administrator. I could not locate the conact info for the administrator. I then tried thru a different web browser, and it did it again. They supply no snail-mail address for customer care, that I can find.

• Liked — Cheap
  • Disliked — Filthy and a bad neighborhood
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tuffance
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2002

The servive was good at this hotel. The rates were good and affordable, for a good room and place to stay.

Thank-you.