“Good burrito & IPA and decent service - a bit noisy”
Review of The Matador

The Matador
Ranked #7 of 770 Restaurants in Tacoma
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Matador Restaurants offer fresh Tex-Mex cuisine & premium tequilas in an inviting, social atmosphere — visit us in Seattle, Tacoma, Redmond, Portland, & Boise.
Reviewed 6 July 2017

As the number 1 Mexican rated food restaurant in Tacoma, I was expecting a bit better experience, but this was acceptable. The shredded chicken burrito was tasty though not exceptional. The service was competent and somewhat friendly for the busy circumstances. The chips and salsa were standard and OK. The IPA I chose was good.

I'd say the experience was reasonable, but over ranked. The prices were on the high side. The food is good, but I'd call it solid, not exceptional. I'm not sure I'll be back, though I gave it a four star rating. A bit noisy and pricy for my taste.

Robin C, General Manager at The Matador, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Hi Glidr,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant! We do have a scratch kitchen where all of our menu items are made with all fresh ingredients daily. I am happy you found our offerings tasty!
We do hope you will give us another chance to "wow" you!

Reviewed 2 July 2017

Ate here a year ago and it was wonderful, stopped by for lunch this trip had the street tacos they were Great! the house made chorizo was the best! Margaritas were great the largest tequila selection I have ever seen. All in all a good place for lunch or dinner.

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for the great review!
Hope to have you back again soon!

Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

When my coworkers bugged me and bugged me to come after work for happy hour I caved. That was a great decision! The $5 Texas sized nachos are amazing, the tequila is exactly what I needed. I love this place and the beautiful, relaxing atmosphere.

Robin C, General Manager at The Matador, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2017

Hi Candace!
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! I am thrilled they talked you into coming down! The nachos sure are life changing. Haha! If you enjoy tequila, join us on Tuesdays where all of our tequilas priced $12 or more are half off! It is the perfect way to try some new ones.
Looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 26 May 2017

We've been dining at The Matador ("El Matador") for years now. It's a solid Mexican restaurant and a better bar. If you're looking to grab some chips & salsa, some beer, and some pretty tasty appetizers - it's a really good place to go. Not too expensive, not a hole-in-the-wall, and pretty good food. There are a number around the Seattle area. Took a hit with a recent health code violation - but I know I was pretty surprised at that and haven't worried before or since. Well, a little since.

But I'm alive and still eating chips & salsa and dropping Dos Equis Ambers and mezcals.

Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

Food is good. Especially the happy hour stuff. Try the bacon wrapped jalapeños and calamari!

Open late as well

S G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review! The stuffed jalapenos are one of my personal favorite things on the menu and I am so happy to hear you enjoyed them as well!
Join us for happy hour on a Tuesday where not only your favorites are on special, but also all of our tequilas priced $12 or more are half off!
Looking forward to your next visit with us!