“Wonderful Fish Bar”

Add it.
The Daily Catch
Ranked #193 of 774 Restaurants in Tacoma
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Heard some buzz around town about some of the businesses going in around Point Ruston, particularly restaurants. Word was that Wild Fin not only had a wonderful restaurant at this new waterfront development, they operate a Fish Bar next door that's to die for. Today was a week day with the sun shining, and after the wife and I finished the grueling task of arguing over exterior house paint colors at the hardware store (and how stupid my choices were), we hit Point Ruston. First piece of good news is that we found parking on the street. I don't think we would have been so fortunate on the weekend, and most of the public parking garage appears to be under construction, so lucky day! At the Daily Catch, you order at the counter from a short menu on the chalkboard. Cook and cashier were busy, but very adept and eager to please. The wife and I each went for the 2 piece fish and chips (under $10) and I added a seafood chowder for $2.99. We staked out one of the 7 stand-up tables that dot the patio area out front and got our condiments at a station next to the order window. Everything was ready within 10 minutes. First bite of fish made the word "wow" come out of my mouth - literally. A nice thin beer batter around fresh fish is capable of doing that!! Fish came in a square basket on top of a huge mound of very tasty fries. In fact, the fries were so plentiful, I only plowed my way through half of them. Tartar sauce was among the best I've tasted. Seafood chowder was loaded with shrimp and several varieties of fish and a rich, creamy blend of spices. Knocked my socks off!! The only negative - felt the fish was a tad on the greasy side and fries could have been crispier. Still, pretty dang wonderful. Cool thing was, we got to walk off our meal by enjoying Point Ruston itself, which offers wonderful views of Commencement Bay, Vashon Island, Puget Sound, and a couple of other wow places. There's even a sprinkler play area for the kids to run through, public restrooms, a terrific walking/bike path along the seashore, and a place to rent bikes and buggies available for your enjoyment. (caveat - rentals seemed a bit pricey, everything else is free). Anyhow, happy to share the good news about a wonderful Fish Bar in an exceptional setting. Can wait to have a meal at the parent restaurant next door, but will have to save my pennies!