“Best fish and chips I've ever had!”

Laura's Bayview Bar and Grill
Ranked #267 of 864 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 12, 2016

Title says it all, it is the only dish I've ordered each visit haha. It is funny because I actually really dislike fish and chips in general. Their in-house made batter is so crunchy, the perfect texture and it has a hint of sweetness that pairs so well with the (optional) malt vinegar. Also, the staff are super friendly and always a pleasure.

Date of visit: April 2016

Reviewed January 3, 2016

I know this seems weird, but the shrimp and grits here should set the world standard. They even put the great places in Charleston to shame. Amazing.

Date of visit: January 2016
1  Thank 2holysneakers
Reviewed June 17, 2015

This is kind of an interesting spot. We had planned on going to Doyles up the street but they were packed out due to the USA soccer match. The Hub was full as well so we walked down to Laura's after we saw it had some good reviews. Walked in the front and there is one table to the right and a long hall leading to the back. At the end of the hall was a small restaurant with a small bar to the left. They had a large deck that over looks the working Tacoma Harbor. That was nice, the deck was wooden like one you build on the back of your house which was fine, but sort of seemed out of place. Tables were plastic portable tables and they had a couple of high boys along the railing. Ambiance was extremely casual.

It felt like a very local spot, one couple had their dog there and it sort of had the run of the place. Not a big draw for me but whatever. We got a seat on the deck and asked for a beer list, it was fairly small with around a dozen bottled beers and only 3 on tap - nothing too risky or dramatic, pretty basic offerings, but enough to provide a little variety. The waitress was friendly and engaging but didn't know what the seasonal tap was. No biggie - we each ordered a bottled beer and talked for a bit. The deck is on the north side of the building so its in the shade - great on a warm night.

The menu is fairly limited due to the restaurant's small size. Looking at the menu it felt like they were trying to be upscale but the restaurant didn't feel that way. We both had the garden salad - simple salad with a very tasty vinaigrette. I had the flat iron steak which was well cooked but came on some shredded brussel sprouts with bacon which I normally love but these were almost sour / perhaps too much vinegar, the only thing you could taste was whatever the sprouts were in, it overpowered and did not have good flavor. The mushrooms were red and tasted like they too had been dipped in red wine vinegar or something. I love mushrooms on a steak but I did not eat any of these. The only thing I ate was the steak - I ordered medium and it came out perfect if not a little smaller than expected. My buddy ordered the fish and chips and said they were good but not great. He ate every last bit of them though so they couldn't have been too bad. There was not much too choose from for deserts (deep fried PB&J sounded interesting though not appetizing) so we skipped. They let us hang around drinking beer til after close which was nice. We felt welcome the whole time and were never pressured to clear the tab which is always nice.

It didn't feel like a 'bar and grill' to me. It felt like a local cafe that was trying to be a nice restaurant but didn't have the pieces necessary. I think I struggled mostly because I was in the mood for a Bar and Grill - Laura's just was not what I was hoping for, that isn't their fault necessarily but I am sure that impacted my scores.

Date of visit: June 2015
1  Thank Seesamarie
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I live close to Laura's and have tried most everything on the menu. The fish and chips are simply the best fish and chips I've ever had anywhere. Even if your not a fan of that dish you will remember these. The chicken Parmesan is also phenomenal, better than any served in the area. Overall the menu has a wide range of items and everything tastes good. The restaurant is small and has a very homey feel to it, like you know everyone. Very fast service, and a very attentive wait staff. If you can, sit outside and enjoy the awesome views of the sound.

Date of visit: October 2013
1  Thank U8462PLkennethh
Reviewed August 12, 2013

we've been back to Laura's Bayview twice, once with two friends and just yesterday with another couple. Three of these folks, as well as me, had the fish and chips and everyone gave them rave reviews and by that I mean they really raved about them. So I'm writing this to let readers know that the quality of Laura's fish and chips has been consistently excellent. The service has been friendly and attentive all three times we've been there and the last two times we ate out on the deck which was very nice.

Date of visit: August 2013