“Top Drawer”
Review of El Gaucho Tacoma

El Gaucho Tacoma
Reserve with OpenTable
El Gaucho Tacoma is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 770 Restaurants in Tacoma
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between S 21st & S 23rd Streets
Description: For years, discriminating diners have trusted the establishments of Paul Mackay to turn landmark occasions into lasting memories. At El Gaucho Tacoma, you and your guest will be treated to the ultimate dining experience, including the attentive tableside service that is the Mackay hallmark. Step back in time to an era of uncompromising service and total indulgence, where the smallest of details are considered the most basic ingredients of your visit. We set the stage for an extraordinary event that will exceed your every expectation.
Reviewed 8 August 2017

Top Drawer steak and seafood house. Pricey, but from the moment you take the steps downward from street level, the large well-appointed room, with piano, this place willl tuck away your cares for a spell. Dark, candlelight, and intimate. Excellent waitstaff. I've had steaks and King crab all with scores of "10". They have a happy hour menu which in the bar area is good, but is not the same as the main menu. One of my favorite places to celebrate!

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Met a friend of mine I haven't seen for over two yeats so we decided to sit at the bar. The restaurant wasn't too busy. We both had Caesar salad which was excellent. I have steak tartare which was good, but the serving size has diminished somewhat. My friend had the baseball cut steak and again over the years, it's gone smaller and smaller obviously as the price of meat has gone up and up. Service was good, and we enjoyed the bantering with the bar tender. The food is good but not great. Meeting my friend was the best part. Better steak houses on the east coast but in Tacoma... it's the best we got.

Reviewed 13 July 2017

This is one of those old school style steak houses. There's a lot of table-side action going on with plenty of pyrotechnics to keep guests entertained. And all of the waiters are dressed in tuxedos. Very dimly lit. Everyone had their smartphone flashes on to read the menu.

Definitely a place for couples, yet here i am by myself in Valentine's Day! Just a little awkward. Oh the joys of business travel.

First I'll mention the extremely friendly and cordial staff. Warmly greeted upon arrival, and everyone I interacted with was professional and courteous.

I opted for the $57 Prime 8 oz filet med rare. Unfortunately this one was cooked past medium and had a very dry texture. There were no natural juices. This was a severe let down considering the premium price charged. No way that was a Prime cut.

The Brussel sprouts side dish was ok. Great flavor from pancetta and balsamic, but the sprouts themselves were overdone Mostly what was there was the loose leaves, rather than nice intact sprouts.

The mushrooms truffle soup was very rich and warming. They aren't shy with the heavy cream.

The manager took care of the steak and offered me an after dinner cocktail. I thought this was a nice gesture.

To be fair, it was Valentine's Day, and every seat was occupied and steaks were just flying out of the kitchen. I suspect on a regular night, quality would be greatly improved. Hopefully they take the opportunity to learn and improve. Honestly at these prices, they need to execute perfectly regardless of crowd size.

I really wanted to like this place much more. I will give it another chance someday, but for now you're a 3.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

A very nice steak house and is Top Rated in the state. I took my wife here for our Anniversary and it was great! They had a hand written card waiting on our table for us when we got there. The service is beyond great ! They have a nice selection of aged steaks starting at about $60 but they are worth every bite. There is one thing I didn't care for is the lighting, I understand have a nice romantic low lite dinner but this place spends no money on electricity for lighting LOL. They give you flashlights so you can read the menu. It was a great experience and I will go back again the next time I mortgage my home.

Reviewed 26 June 2017

I have dined at the Tacoma El Gaucho once or twice a year for well over a decade now. On each and every occasion, El Gaucho offered top-notch food, service, and atmosphere. The waitstaff consistently go the extra step to ensure your evening is the most enjoyable it can be while they prepare and serve your food with panache.

This place is swanky in every way and feels like a classy members-only club from the 50's from the moment you walk in the door.

If you love steaks, this is your restaurant. I have dined in some of the best steak houses in Seattle, Chicago, Minneapolis, New York, Dallas and many others in between, and El Gaucho serves the best steaks among them all.

El Gaucho is an amazing demonstration of how to hire quality employees, train them to perfection, choose the finest foods to serve and then provide an amazing dining experience for every guest. Even the plate of fruit, nuts and exotic cheeses brought to you gratis after your main course is pure class.

Be sure to order something prepared and served table-side, like Flaming Sword Brochette of Tenderloin or Bananas Foster for dessert. You and your date will not be disappointed!

1  Thank Robert_H_Olympia