“Great room, not so great people”

Best Western Tumwater-Olympia Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Tumwater
Richland
“Great room, not so great people”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The night I check in, the gal behind the desk was super helpful and friendly. I noticed my room rate was incorrect, not what I'd paid on-line. I could tell that she would have wanted to explain something to me if it weren't so late at night, but what she said was, "I'll take care of it, no problem." Big friendly smile, problem solved.

Upon check-out the next morning, the two people behind the counter (Courtney and Mr. Munn) were puzzling about my bill, trying to figure out what the gal the night before had done to it. I explained that my room rate was wrong and the gal had fixed it. They started mocking me! "Yep. Ninety-nine cents." They went on and on together, mocking me for saving a whopping .99. I didn't understand what they were talking about at all. I looked at the printout I'd just been given. It said my room rate was $88.xx (I forget the change amount). I remarked to my friend, "That's more than .99, I think I'm being mocked."

The two behind the counter heard me and were completely unmoved or embarrassed by their behavior. They continued to mock me for pushing for .99 in savings. It wasn't until much later that day that I realized that, if my bill had been itemized, I would have seen that the $88.xx amount included taxes, etc. My base rate was still incorrect (the gal changed it from 79.89 to 79.00) but if the two people at the counter had said, "Oh, I totally see how that can be confusing. The bill isn't itemized, that amount you're seeing is the total with taxes and everything." Neither of them did any of that. They just mocked me. When I repeated, "I think I'm being mocked and I'm not liking it." Mr. Munn said, "Would you like a comment card?" I said no thank you and walked away. I have Trip Advisor for a comment card, and I'm pretty sure it will be more effective.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Dellaina H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Vancouver, Washington, United States
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Staying here since my usual place in Seattle was booked tonight. The clerk at the front desk was very pleasant at check in. The room was very clean and pleasant. All this with a hotel under renovation. Well done folks.

Room Tip: Any room is good. i chose the ground floor simply because I would be out and about early.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 January 2012

This hotel was very clean, the staff helpful and friendly. Very easy walking distance from shopping, restaurants and Starbucks. Nice breakfast with enough variety to please most.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Washington is currently experiencing major sweeping power outages, and my house is currently dark and about 45 degrees F inside. I am a local looking for a warm bed while the utility crews work their butts off to repair extensive damage from a sudden winter storm.

I have a bad cold and arrived early for check in, but was able to sit on a very comfortable couch and wait in the clean, warm lobby drinking some complimentary tea (coffee also available, and cool water). The front desk staff was very nice. The room, I found, was a single queen bed and I had arrived with my roommate, who is a good friend of the opposite sex. I called the desk, really out of it, and asked if they have any cots; I had one within five minutes, fully made up and actually rather comfortable. The housekeepers were friendly and they did a great job. I've stayed in much "fancier" hotels and had far worse service and crappier rooms for much more money. The parking lot here is large and there were plenty of places available near the doors, even with plowed snow lying around. They are in the middle of a remodel as I write this. However, I haven't heard any work and it isn't really in your face or anything at this point. There is a good sized fridge in my room along with a standard microwave and a huge flat-screen TV with a good Comcast cable plan. The furniture is comfortable in both the room and the lobby, and the room is quiet and the temperature well-controlled. I am picky about bed comfort but this bed is nice. The lamps on the nightstands are a little weird, I think they need replacing (they flicker now and then). It feels secure in here, though. The room is set up with a vanity outside the bathroom, which I like, and it sounds dumb to say so but the toiletries are neatly arranged. An ice machine and soda machine are right around the corner but they are not noisy at all and I can't hear traffic out in the hall even though the elevator is busted and I am right by the stairs.

I want to commend the housekeeping department, having worked in housekeeping for two other local hotels, each of which was about twice as expensive as this one and really dumpy and cheap. They did a fantastic job. My OCD roommate didn't bat an eye at the place. I don't even really like Best Western as a brand based on past experiences at other locations, but this one is nice and I have no complaints. I will recommend it to family next time they visit.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Clean and what you would expect from this kind of hotel. The first room they gave me hadn't been cleaned but that took about 2 seconds to get me a new room. Nice to have hot tub and laundry. I was here for 4 weeks on business. After 4 weeks the breakfast gets old but is always nice to have there.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Cleveland, Tennessee
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Needing a place to overnight before touring the Olympic Peninsula, we opted for the Best Western Tumwater Inn. We have quite a history of staying at Best Western's and usually are pleased with our hotels. We were not disappointed with this one. The night front desk staff the night of our stay were exceptional in their greeting when we arrived. Check in was quick and we were on our way to our second floor room. However, this property does not have an elevator. But, the clerk asked that was a problem, which it wasn't. Room was very roomy and had recently been up dated. When turning on the tv, it would not come on, a call to the front desk, and the clerk was right there to assist.

The only complaint that we had was the lack of signage indicating the entrance. We could see the sign and the building, but the only sign we saw was for the Mexican restuarant nearby. We overshot the turn in and nearly had an accident trying to get back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill C
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Well appointed bedroom, very clean and serviced every day. Pleasant staff and good breakfast

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tumwater
0.5 km away
2.7 km away
Comfort Inn Tumwater
Comfort Inn Tumwater
#3 of 7 in Tumwater

Been to Best Western Tumwater-Olympia Inn? Share your experiences!