“Heaven for a night!”
Review of Sun Mountain Lodge

Sun Mountain Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Winthrop
Reviewed 26 September 2016

When we planned our trip to Sun Mountain Lodge, we had anticipated arriving in the Winthrop area much earlier in the day. As it happens, our sight-seeing adventures on our drive from Seattle had us stopping along the way FAR more frequently than we'd expected. We saw some spectacular scenery, to be sure (the breathtaking Washington Pass Lookout area is not to be missed!) - but unfortunately, we didn't arrive at SML until almost 6 p.m. - at least in time to catch an absolutely spectacular sunset on the 360 degree mountain views that surrounded us.

I'll be honest - while I expected SML to be a nice place, as evidenced in a few promotional videos we'd watched prior to our trip, I did not expect to be as blown away as I was. Speaking purely about the aesthetics of the facility itself - this is a beautiful and substantial lodge, with a warm and welcoming lobby - rough hewn log walls, and a stunning 2-3 storey picture window looking out on a glorious view of the surrounding rolling hills and mountains beyond.

Our room was housed in the "Gardner Lodging" building, a two-storey building separate from the main lodge - we were given a room near the end of the row on the 2nd level. On opening the door to our room I believe I actually let out a little gasp of delight - spacious, warm, and welcoming, with soothing classical music playing quietly on the stereo ( a lovely touch!) The windows ran almost the full width of the room, looking out onto a private balcony, which in turn looked out at nothing but nature - again, those gorgeous rolling hills and mountains, dotted with aspen (birch?) trees. Our room also included a stone gas fireplace, a comfortable sofa (that I believe could be used as extra bedding), robes, a beautifully appointed bathroom with fluffy white towels, and perhaps the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. Again, the decor was rustic and charming - bent willow furniture and planked barn-board walls...heaven!!

Having been on the road all day we were famished - so after a quick run around the property to take some photos as the sun sank slowly in the west, we headed to the bar and grill (the more casual restaurant) for some grub. Again, we were not to be disappointed! Another beautiful and appropriately appointed facility, again with gorgeous views (which could be enjoyed on an outdoor patio/balcony, although we opted to eat indoors). The light on the distant mountains continued to paint the landscape in varying hues of cowboy pastels as we enjoyed a MOST delicious meal that included a stellar mini-tureen of chicken-curry soup (a house specialty and favourite apparently, and easy to see why!) It truly was the perfect place to unwind after a long day on the road.

After dinner we retired back to our room, where it dawned on me that there was no TV!! YES!! A true place to discard all the trappings and habits of city life, and place the focus on your family (or each other, as the case may be) and just UNWIND. It had been a long day of travel and sightseeing - I must admit I drifted off to sleep within minutes of my head hitting the ever-so-fluffy pillow.

The next morning we awoke early to photograph the sunrise - and were delighted to find we were accompanied by a few families of deer! Yes, it just kept getting better. They were obviously rather used to being around people as they were totally unfazed by our presence - and I suspect they're a regular fixture on the property - but to us "cityfolk", it was a delightful treat to greet the new day in the presence of these gentle and graceful creatures.

After our wonderful morning photo safari, it was unfortunately time for us to pack up and head out on the road again, as our schedule was taking us out to the Oregon coast (pretty much another full day's drive). We opted to eat breakfast in the charming town of Winthrop - which itself is a must see - the entire town is styled in old west architecture, right down to the boardwalk sidewalks - even chain stores such as Ace Hardware sport an old west facade!

I suppose I knew when we booked it that one night at Sun Mountain Lodge simply would not be enough - the moment we started to climb the long and winding road through the beautiful hills that led to it, I immediately regretted our decision not to stay longer - but with only a week's holiday and a tight and fairly inflexible schedule, we had to settle for one night only at this stunning resort. Still, I'd rather have had just a taste of what it has to offer than never to have visited at all - and you can be SURE a return visit is now on our to-do list. Even one more night would have been ideal (and currently their website is advertising 3rd nights are free!), to perhaps experience the "cowboy dinner" they offer, which involves a horseback ride through the hills to an authentic western BBQ dinner.

If this lengthy and enthusiastic review for basically what amounts to only hours spent at this resort doesn't convince you it's worth a visit, then I guess I haven't made my point :) - but truly, I really can't stress enough just how much we enjoyed our brief stay at Sun Mountain Lodge. If you must have TV in your room then maybe it's not the place for you - but if you want to get away from it all and experience stunning mountain views, fresh air, wildlife, endless hiking trails, peace and quiet, delicious food, and beyond comfortable accommodations, for what I believe to be a very reasonable price, then do look into Sun Mountain Lodge if you're planning a visit to this part of the world. It truly was one of the highlights of our trip to the Pacific Northwest.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
BrianSunMountain, Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2016

Thanks so much for taking the time to give us your review, Noelle. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your great feedback, and we hope you come back again very soon. Have a great day!

Reviewed 25 September 2016

My sig other chose Sun Mountain Lodge as the destination for a business retreat he was hosting and it is my custom to accompany him to these sorts of things and indulge myself in a massage at the hotel's spa. My guy uses the spa services as a selling point to get me to come along with him! Every piece of literature I saw before arrival, at arrival and throughout the room, includes info about the various massages available. Woo Hoo massages--I couldn't wait. See attached photo. I have never been to a resort with a spa where I could not get a same day appointment, ever, in my years and years of travelling.

So anyway, we arrived Thursday evening around 6 pm, attended the scheduled dinner and then off to bed. Friday morning I called the spa first thing (as soon as they opened) to book an appointment for a massage and I'm flexible, either that day (Friday) or the following day (Saturday) before we leave. The exasperated and overworked, or just annoyed, spa receptionist advised (after a lot of sighing and paper flipping) that the only available appointment was 2:30 pm that day. I was hoping to have an early massage and then go to town (not close, long car ride down a winding mountain road) or go to town and have a late massage, so I decided to think about it. I called back about an hour later after mentally rearranging my day and was told the 2:30 appointment was no longer available and there were no more appointments available until Tuesday. I had the impression that my phone call alone was a terrible inconvenience to this individual and I should have booked my massage months in advance! I am now as annoyed as the receptionist as it was only Friday morning and already all massages are booked for days? Seriously, bait and switch, I received documents just a few hours earlier when we checked in boasting of all the spa services including massages that were available! Here's a news flash Sun Mountain, maybe you need to hire some more staff for your much advertised but not available massage services. I was so annoyed, I was going to log on to Trip Advisor right then and write a scathing review (which, if you read my other reviews, I rarely do). But then I thought about it and decided that maybe the Sun Mountain Powers That Be don't know what a bad job the spa is doing so I marched myself about three blocks to the Concierge desk. At the Concierge desk, I found a woman in her early 60's, I relayed my experience trying to book a much needed massage and told her that I wanted to offer an opportunity for the hotel to look into the matter before writing an unfavorable review on Trip Advisor--I believe I used the word "scathing." The Concierge advised me that she and her husband had waited 6 months to get a massage. WHAT? Seriously? Did she actually say that? This isn't a mom and pop operation folks, it is a very expensive "resort" offering a myriad of spa services. The Concierge made no effort or attempt to see if there was some malfunction in the spa scheduling system, just brushed me off as too bad, no massage for you. Neither the spa receptionist or Concierge made an attempt to find out who I am in case there was a cancellation. Frankly, at that point, I didn't want to avail myself of any of the hotel's services that day or any day in my future as I will not stay there again under any circumstances.

OK, so now that you know how I feel about the Sun Mountain Lodge Spa, here are my other critiques of Sun Mountain Lodge.

I had two breakfasts, two dinners and one sack lunch provided by the Sun Mountain Lodge catering. The scrambled eggs were tasteless and bland (I thought they might be fake), the sausages and bacon were OK but very greasy and the fried red potatoes were dry. Dinner, the beef tenderloin was OK although it was nearly raw, the large "prawns" were actually three shrimp. I think I had salmon and some kind of beef the first night. The salmon was overcooked. I had a turkey sandwich in my sack lunch, my guy had a veggie sandwich. The quality of the lunch was akin to what a public school would provide, just a basic bland sandwich (It came with small foil mayo and mustard packets, not enough for a whole sandwich and the report on the grilled veggie sandwich was not good, either. A small bag of Tim's chips, a really bad granola bar, an apple and a tiny bottle of water. Yuk. I wish I had just eaten at the Twisp market. I don't think there is room service at all. Friday I didn't feel like walking all the way to the main lodge for lunch and I was hoping to order something but discovered there was no room service menu in resort's book of services so I skipped lunch.

I went for a walk on a marked Loop, the trail was not well maintained, some of the informational signs are laying on the ground. It could be strenuous for someone who is not in great shape and you need decent shoes. Eastern Washington is not really a pretty place, very dry and scrubby and unlike the lush green you see on the opposite side of our state so this is just a walk to take if you would like to get a bit of exercise.

Let's see, the room itself was nice, jetted tub, the bed was very comfy, the linens were nice and the room was very clean. There is no television (multiple people in our group complained about that), the lodge has apparently decided that guests don't need TV. During the Fall, there is really not much to do there and if you can't easily leave in a vehicle (for the long drive to town), you might be bored to death. I left both days visiting the tourist trap that is Winthrop and the Saturday market at Twisp (which I loved). I ended up having a lot of free time in spite of visiting every store in Winthrop, even the more remote shops and a leisurely stroll through the Twisp market. I went for a swim in the pool even though the weather was in the 60s and found that the pool wasn't very warm which is why I probably didn't see another person using it during our stay. The hot tub seemed dirty and most of the jets didn't work, but it was much warmer than the pool. I didn't avail myself of a horseback ride as I have a horse of my own and I'm not into the sort of guided single file rides I observed taking place.

Overall, I would not recommend staying at to Sun Mountain Lodge unless you have no choice. I am a Washington native, I travel often and this is the worst resort I've ever stayed at in Washington or anywhere for that matter.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
3  Thank WA-Damore

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to provide us with your feedback. We are incredibly sorry for the issues that occurred during your stay, and we appreciate you reaching out and alerting us to them. We will be using your review to make as many improvements as possible.

We're sorry you were not able to receive a massage with us, and apologize for the issues you faced. We would love to have more staff members, but being located remotely, it can be difficult to find more therapists available. We're sorry this was not expressed during your stay and we're sorry you did not feel as though you were treated with the level of respect we expect at Sun Mountain Lodge.

To address your problems with the pool and hot tubs, the pools are at 80 degrees and hot tubs at 103. We do have one hot tub with jet flow problems and we are repairing this ASAP.

Again, we apologize for your issues, and assure you that we will be using your feedback to make as many improvements as possible. Thank you so much and have a great day.

Reviewed 25 September 2016

Recently went for wedding at the Lodge. The rooms were beautiful as was the scenic surroundings. Had four rooms and all seemed different. My room was the only one with a fireplace and table and chairs. The others were smaller and basic. Loved the pool and hot tub at the main lodge but the other one between the other two buildings seemed nice too. The buildings are close enough to walk between them and each had different rooms except for the cabins which were a 1.1 mile hike away. All the cabins were beautiful but the two story ones were just beautiful and plenty big for a large family. Loved the breakfast in the main lodge especially the eggs benedict with tomatoes and spinach. Had oregano which made it a little different. Worth the drive to stay at this lodge.

Room Tip: Look at pictures online to see the different rooms so you get the type and location you want.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
BrianSunMountain, Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2016

Thank you so much for the kind words, Janet. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate all of your kind words and hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 24 September 2016

Spent 6 nights mid September. Stayed in Mt Robinson Lodge. Beautiful views from balcony. Room clean, well appointed, comfortable bed. Enjoyed the robes,the fireplace. No TV which was appreciated. Staff was excellent. Dined at both grill and restaurant and had very good meals and service with great views. Lots of trails to hike or bike right at property. Booked horseback riding through their activities office (excellent staff here too!) and enjoyed a ride to a spectacular view. Soffie & Tanner were great...they are the staff not the horses. Also booked fly fishing lessons & guide though Sun Mountain. Local company, North Cascades Fly Fishing, provides an excellent teacher & guide and the day was a highlight of the visit. Town of Winthrop is close so there are dining options available other than at lodge. Overall an excellent stay and highly recommend.

Room Tip: Couples should choose Mt Robinson Lodge
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind words! We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we really appreciate the recommendation. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 18 September 2016

We stayed in the fall of 2016. A wonderful, full service lodge with great restaurants - one a bit more expensive but well worth it. Great views from our suite in the farthest out building. You can watch the sunrise from one side, and the sunset from the other. Really nice facilities. Winthrop is a nice, western type town - not a ton to do in town, but there are many day trips to take and Sun Mountain has so much to do and a great place to relax. We stayed 3 nights and could easily have spent another night or two. We'll be back, and we've already sent two different family members to stay there.

Room Tip: We spent the extra $ and booked a suite in one of the out buildings. Cost a bit more, but well wort...
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
BrianSunMountain, Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2016

Hi Paul and Shelly,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to give us such an excellent review. It's so wonderful to hear that you had such a good experience with us, and we really appreciate the recommendation to your family members! We hope to see you again in the future. Have a great day!

Reviewed 15 September 2016

The perfect escape after driving the incredible Highway 20 though alpine mountains arriving at sun Mountain Lodge. It is rustic and comfortable and always consistent in service and quality.
We stayed in the Gardner Rooms with a nice view and balcony. I only wish that hotels would consider Memory foam mattresses or toppers, so people with back issues don’t wake up with a backache. The room was cozy and comfortable and well laid out. The quiet solitude and the no TV Rooms are a perfect get-away. We enjoyed an excellent breakfast. We will definitely return again.

Room Tip: Gardener rooms are very nice
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for all of your kind words! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again in the future! Have a fantastic day.

Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

No regrets here! We flew into Seattle and made the long drive (4-hours) through forests and small towns to reach our destination of Winthrop, WA. Upon our arrival to the Sun Mountain Lodge, we had a very pleasant experience. From check-in to check-out. The Lodge owns a series of cabins at Lake Patterson, just 1.5 miles from the main lodge. We had reserved cabin #610, that offered a 1-bedroom + loft, full kitchen, 2-bathrooms (1-upstairs, 1-downstairs), and a front porch with seating. Each cabin is situated along the lake in a semi-circle pattern, giving each guest house some privacy in addition to outstanding lake views. There's a dock with kayaks, canoes and paddle boards for rent as well. Guests have access to a laundry room located around back bt the parking lot, and it's free wash/dry, you pay for soap. An added bonus (at least for our family), is that the cabins have no TV, no telephones, and no WiFi. (My cell phone worked at the cabin, but maybe its because I have Verizon?) Trust me, if you're looking to decompress, unplug, and re-bond with your family, this is the place to be. For those vacationers not looking to "unplug" completely, you should know that cabin guests have full access to the lodge amenities (1.5 miles up hill). Swimming pools, jacuzzi, exercise room, recreation room with pool tables, televisions, and yes, WiFi. The lodge restaurant is lovely, food was delicious, and it's all nestled within forests with stunning views of the Cascades. My review would not be complete without a mentioning the town of Winthrop. Do make the 6-mile drive into this charming town and visit the grocery store, Sheri's for (ice cream and sweet treats) and a must is lunch at the Riverside Grill Cafe! It doesn't look like much, but the food served up at this cafe was outstanding! Before you leave, make the 15-minute drive to Mazama for farm fresh everything! Missing this little gem already. Get out and enjoy Winthrop!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Karina4PVP

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed all the aspects of your stay! We really hope to see you again in the future.