AbbyCreek Inn(Winthrop)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$99
Hotel Rio Vista(Winthrop)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 21/07
US$139
Methow River Lodge & Cabins(Winthrop)(Great Value!)
US$139
Mt Gardner Inn(Winthrop)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$148
US$114
Travelocity
Chewuch Inn & Cabins(Winthrop)(Great Value!)
US$120
Official Site
Winthrop Inn(Winthrop)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsdining roompatterson lakerobinson roomshorseback ridingbar grillwolf creek barmain restaurantcombo dinnerski shophiking trailsget awaytennis courtssleigh ridegames roomjacuzzi tubcornbreadeggs benedict
Reviewed September 25, 2016

My sig other chose Sun Mountain Lodge as the destination for a business retreat he was hosting and it is my custom to accompany him to these sorts of things and indulge myself in a massage at the hotel's spa. My guy uses the spa services as a selling point to get me to come along with him! Every piece of literature I saw before arrival, at arrival and throughout the room, includes info about the various massages available. Woo Hoo massages--I couldn't wait. See attached photo. I have never been to a resort with a spa where I could not get a same day appointment, ever, in my years and years of travelling.

So anyway, we arrived Thursday evening around 6 pm, attended the scheduled dinner and then off to bed. Friday morning I called the spa first thing (as soon as they opened) to book an appointment for a massage and I'm flexible, either that day (Friday) or the following day (Saturday) before we leave. The exasperated and overworked, or just annoyed, spa receptionist advised (after a lot of sighing and paper flipping) that the only available appointment was 2:30 pm that day. I was hoping to have an early massage and then go to town (not close, long car ride down a winding mountain road) or go to town and have a late massage, so I decided to think about it. I called back about an hour later after mentally rearranging my day and was told the 2:30 appointment was no longer available and there were no more appointments available until Tuesday. I had the impression that my phone call alone was a terrible inconvenience to this individual and I should have booked my massage months in advance! I am now as annoyed as the receptionist as it was only Friday morning and already all massages are booked for days? Seriously, bait and switch, I received documents just a few hours earlier when we checked in boasting of all the spa services including massages that were available! Here's a news flash Sun Mountain, maybe you need to hire some more staff for your much advertised but not available massage services. I was so annoyed, I was going to log on to Trip Advisor right then and write a scathing review (which, if you read my other reviews, I rarely do). But then I thought about it and decided that maybe the Sun Mountain Powers That Be don't know what a bad job the spa is doing so I marched myself about three blocks to the Concierge desk. At the Concierge desk, I found a woman in her early 60's, I relayed my experience trying to book a much needed massage and told her that I wanted to offer an opportunity for the hotel to look into the matter before writing an unfavorable review on Trip Advisor--I believe I used the word "scathing." The Concierge advised me that she and her husband had waited 6 months to get a massage. WHAT? Seriously? Did she actually say that? This isn't a mom and pop operation folks, it is a very expensive "resort" offering a myriad of spa services. The Concierge made no effort or attempt to see if there was some malfunction in the spa scheduling system, just brushed me off as too bad, no massage for you. Neither the spa receptionist or Concierge made an attempt to find out who I am in case there was a cancellation. Frankly, at that point, I didn't want to avail myself of any of the hotel's services that day or any day in my future as I will not stay there again under any circumstances.

OK, so now that you know how I feel about the Sun Mountain Lodge Spa, here are my other critiques of Sun Mountain Lodge.

I had two breakfasts, two dinners and one sack lunch provided by the Sun Mountain Lodge catering. The scrambled eggs were tasteless and bland (I thought they might be fake), the sausages and bacon were OK but very greasy and the fried red potatoes were dry. Dinner, the beef tenderloin was OK although it was nearly raw, the large "prawns" were actually three shrimp. I think I had salmon and some kind of beef the first night. The salmon was overcooked. I had a turkey sandwich in my sack lunch, my guy had a veggie sandwich. The quality of the lunch was akin to what a public school would provide, just a basic bland sandwich (It came with small foil mayo and mustard packets, not enough for a whole sandwich and the report on the grilled veggie sandwich was not good, either. A small bag of Tim's chips, a really bad granola bar, an apple and a tiny bottle of water. Yuk. I wish I had just eaten at the Twisp market. I don't think there is room service at all. Friday I didn't feel like walking all the way to the main lodge for lunch and I was hoping to order something but discovered there was no room service menu in resort's book of services so I skipped lunch.

I went for a walk on a marked Loop, the trail was not well maintained, some of the informational signs are laying on the ground. It could be strenuous for someone who is not in great shape and you need decent shoes. Eastern Washington is not really a pretty place, very dry and scrubby and unlike the lush green you see on the opposite side of our state so this is just a walk to take if you would like to get a bit of exercise.

Let's see, the room itself was nice, jetted tub, the bed was very comfy, the linens were nice and the room was very clean. There is no television (multiple people in our group complained about that), the lodge has apparently decided that guests don't need TV. During the Fall, there is really not much to do there and if you can't easily leave in a vehicle (for the long drive to town), you might be bored to death. I left both days visiting the tourist trap that is Winthrop and the Saturday market at Twisp (which I loved). I ended up having a lot of free time in spite of visiting every store in Winthrop, even the more remote shops and a leisurely stroll through the Twisp market. I went for a swim in the pool even though the weather was in the 60s and found that the pool wasn't very warm which is why I probably didn't see another person using it during our stay. The hot tub seemed dirty and most of the jets didn't work, but it was much warmer than the pool. I didn't avail myself of a horseback ride as I have a horse of my own and I'm not into the sort of guided single file rides I observed taking place.

Overall, I would not recommend staying at to Sun Mountain Lodge unless you have no choice. I am a Washington native, I travel often and this is the worst resort I've ever stayed at in Washington or anywhere for that matter.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
3  Thank WA-Damore
BrianSunMountain, Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to provide us with your feedback. We are incredibly sorry for the issues that occurred during your stay, and we appreciate you reaching out and alerting us to them. We will be using your review to make as many improvements as possible.

We're sorry you were not able to receive a massage with us, and apologize for the issues you faced. We would love to have more staff members, but being located remotely, it can be difficult to find more therapists available. We're sorry this was not expressed during your stay and we're sorry you did not feel as though you were treated with the level of respect we expect at Sun Mountain Lodge.

To address your problems with the pool and hot tubs, the pools are at 80 degrees and hot tubs at 103. We do have one hot tub with jet flow problems and we are repairing this ASAP.

Again, we apologize for your issues, and assure you that we will be using your feedback to make as many improvements as possible. Thank you so much and have a great day.

Reviewed September 25, 2016

Recently went for wedding at the Lodge. The rooms were beautiful as was the scenic surroundings. Had four rooms and all seemed different. My room was the only one with a fireplace and table and chairs. The others were smaller and basic. Loved the pool and hot tub at the main lodge but the other one between the other two buildings seemed nice too. The buildings are close enough to walk between them and each had different rooms except for the cabins which were a 1.1 mile hike away. All the cabins were beautiful but the two story ones were just beautiful and plenty big for a large family. Loved the breakfast in the main lodge especially the eggs benedict with tomatoes and spinach. Had oregano which made it a little different. Worth the drive to stay at this lodge.

Room Tip: Look at pictures online to see the different rooms so you get the type and location you want.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
BrianSunMountain, Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2016

Thank you so much for the kind words, Janet. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate all of your kind words and hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed September 24, 2016

Spent 6 nights mid September. Stayed in Mt Robinson Lodge. Beautiful views from balcony. Room clean, well appointed, comfortable bed. Enjoyed the robes,the fireplace. No TV which was appreciated. Staff was excellent. Dined at both grill and restaurant and had very good meals and service with great views. Lots of trails to hike or bike right at property. Booked horseback riding through their activities office (excellent staff here too!) and enjoyed a ride to a spectacular view. Soffie & Tanner were great...they are the staff not the horses. Also booked fly fishing lessons & guide though Sun Mountain. Local company, North Cascades Fly Fishing, provides an excellent teacher & guide and the day was a highlight of the visit. Town of Winthrop is close so there are dining options available other than at lodge. Overall an excellent stay and highly recommend.

Room Tip: Couples should choose Mt Robinson Lodge
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind words! We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we really appreciate the recommendation. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed September 18, 2016

We stayed in the fall of 2016. A wonderful, full service lodge with great restaurants - one a bit more expensive but well worth it. Great views from our suite in the farthest out building. You can watch the sunrise from one side, and the sunset from the other. Really nice facilities. Winthrop is a nice, western type town - not a ton to do in town, but there are many day trips to take and Sun Mountain has so much to do and a great place to relax. We stayed 3 nights and could easily have spent another night or two. We'll be back, and we've already sent two different family members to stay there.

Room Tip: We spent the extra $ and booked a suite in one of the out buildings. Cost a bit more, but well worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
BrianSunMountain, Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2016

Hi Paul and Shelly,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to give us such an excellent review. It's so wonderful to hear that you had such a good experience with us, and we really appreciate the recommendation to your family members! We hope to see you again in the future. Have a great day!

Reviewed September 15, 2016

The perfect escape after driving the incredible Highway 20 though alpine mountains arriving at sun Mountain Lodge. It is rustic and comfortable and always consistent in service and quality.
We stayed in the Gardner Rooms with a nice view and balcony. I only wish that hotels would consider Memory foam mattresses or toppers, so people with back issues don’t wake up with a backache. The room was cozy and comfortable and well laid out. The quiet solitude and the no TV Rooms are a perfect get-away. We enjoyed an excellent breakfast. We will definitely return again.

Room Tip: Gardener rooms are very nice
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for all of your kind words! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again in the future! Have a fantastic day.