“Say "Oh no to the Hojo! "”

Howard Johnson Plaza Yakima/Near Convention Center
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Puyallup, WA
“Say "Oh no to the Hojo! "”
Reviewed 18 March 2008

This hotel is run-down. I went here on business, so I had the joy of seeing several of my colleagues rooms. All of the rooms I saw had large cracks on the ceiling, which were very disturbing. I was upset that the bed had only sheets and no blankets. There was a blanket in the wardrobe, which they listed as an amenity. Unfortunately, it wasn't big enough to fit on the bed. The pillows were disgraceful, they were flat and broken, which means they were probably 100% dust mites. Disgusting! Also, disgusting was the fact that the tub wasn't clean. It was full of soap scum and blobs of product. As far as service goes, there wasn't any. They desk staff was barely helpful, often inconspicuous, I had to wait several times before anyone would appear at the desk and when they did they acted put out. I didn't even complain about their dumpy facility, they should be grateful. There are no amenities. When I inquired about coffee, I was told they only serve coffee in their restaurant. So we went in only to find a ghost town. No hostess, no visible wait staff and hence, no customers. I would not recommend this place to anyone. If you want a pool, sauna or hot tub, go somewhere else. Hojo's is outside and closed for the winter. The patio furniture and coverings are stored right in the lobby however. They should be using this area for coffee, water, tea and computer services, but convenience to the guest doesn't seem to be a priority to this establishment.

• Liked — The close proximity to the Convention Center.
  • Disliked — The lack of amenities and condition of the rooms.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 October 2007

We had stayed at the Yakima Hojo with family and extended family for a wedding. Our party included small children ranging from age 2 - 9. We had booked 5 rooms under the reservation. The number one thing that this hotel lacked was communication. In the central website it notes that continental breakfast is included. As a matter of fact, it isn't. In addition if you stay on a Saturday night, your Sunday breakfast should be a FREE HOT BREAKFAST not a continental breakfast. This was not the case in our stay. When we originally booked this hotel, the main highlight was the all inclusive breakfast as we had several parties and children. We found that to be the perk. We called the hotel directly to confirm of this that they included the hot breakfast, and the front desk lady said, "YES it's BUFFET!"
When we arrived at checking in the hotel we asked again, is the hot breakfast included for Sunday morning, the hotel front desk said yes, no need for coupon or voucher, just walk in the restaurant. When morning came we went to the restaurant only to discover there is no such breakfast. We were turned away. When we approached the front desk, their only excuse was that the staff was new and they did not know what was going on either. When we asked to speak to the manager, conveniently she was not coming in until the later afternoon. We contacted central reservation and placed a formal complaint. We left a message with the hotel manager LEAH, and she has not responded at all. To top it all off when we returned home and checked our Credit Card statement, the Hotel successfully charged 3 accounts under one credit card when they were specifically instructed not to. The hotel staff, the hotel itself is very disorganized. Very unpleasurable stay. DO NOT STAY THERE. The rooms promised a wireless high speed connection, which was slower than the turtle and kept disconnecting. The rooms were quite seedy as well. But what do you expect from a HOJO in Yakima.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else about the hotel especially the service.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank HAFUNNY

Travellers are raving about these Yakima hotels

Seattle
Reviewed 29 June 2007

My family has stayed here through various ownerships of this hotel for the past 8 years. Each time we return we are pleased with the value. We mainly come for pool time, and often request the ground floor rooms with the grassy area in front and direct access to pool. The rooms have always been clean, if basic. We often choose to stay here as opposed to Lake Chelan or other much more expensive areas because of the usually quiet pool, the access to restaurant/bar poolside, and the ability to walk to various restaurants, outdoor market, etc... Sometimes we bring the kids, but often my husband and I just come for a weekend in the sun and wine country. It is very good value for the money, don't expect the Four Seasons but do expect way more than you are paying for.

• Liked — Poolside rooms
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jboyle
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 16 March 2006

I arrived at nearly 11 pm, having made a reservation several hours earlier. I was sent to a room upstairs in "the annex," and lugged my 100 pounds of conference materials and luggage about a block and up some stairs (no elevator). The room was a mess: bed not made, sheets, blankets, and pillows strewn about. I called the front desk. They said sorry, and assigned me to the room across the hall. Even though two guys were working the desk, they made me trudge back to the front desk to get the key to the room across the hall. The second room was worse than the first: in addition to piles of dirty towels and sheets, this one featured stacks of pizza boxes topped by pyramids of empty beer cans. Lovely. I called the desk and told them I was staying somewhere else. The desk clerk agreed I would not be charged, but refused to provide anything in writing that said that.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business