“What a great surprise in an unlikely place - Charleston, WV!”

Brass Pineapple Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Charleston B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“What a great surprise in an unlikely place - Charleston, WV!”
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Terrific location, right in the middle of town. Off street parking. Walking distance to the state capital complex and the river. Maybe 15 minutes' drive from the airport. Walking distance to a couple of restaurants, and the B&B provides a list almost 2 pages long of places within a short driving distance. Individualized breakfast, at your convenience. The rooms are beautiful and unique, and definitely give you a feel of "stepping back in time". More than just "friendly service"--you feel like a family friend--if I'm ever back in Charleston, no question of where I'd stay!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank CTmoocow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Friends and I were in town for the license plate convention in Charleston. All rooms in traditional downtown hotels were sold out. The national tumbling championships were also being held at the same time. I didn't want a lot of commotion or noise, and wanted a place in a historic area of Charleston. I stumbled upon the Bed & Breakfast online while searching for properties which would offer me a "at home like" stay while I was away from home. Lisa and Laura are fantastic ladies who helped make our stay an outstanding one. We were with them 5 nights - it was so refreshing to have a nice retreat after all of the daily hustle/bustle of convention activities. The room was nicely appointed, clean, and cozy. We had the top floor, needing the larger room with the two twin beds. The bathroom was very clean and nicely appointed. The property is strategically located only a few houses from the state capital (what a view!) and the elegance of the properties near/on the Kanawha River. The hot breakfasts were scrumptious, featuring a local stunning variety of West Virginia bacon. Everyone joked as my friends know I love my bacon. The inn was quiet, relaxing, and just all-around stunning to be in. Friends from the convention not staying came to visit (they were welcomed) and were in awe - one friend/wife wanted to switch immediately to stay at the Inn, but unfortunately had been locked into a prepayment at one of the chain hotels downtown. There was an afternoon/evening tea/coffee service - with home-baked sweets available. In addition, there was a crudite/appetizer tray in the 'fridge with one of the most stunning pimiento cheese spreads I've had. One night, we were judging license plate displays, and by the time we were done, all of the restaurants in the downtown area were closed. So, our dinner was the crudite tray. Many thanks! You saved us! The Inn is located a few blocks from a trendy area, also near the capital, which has two very popular restaurants: Bluegrass Cafe, and Tricky Fish. Both are fun establishments to dine at - Tricky Fish has a great outdoor area. All within walking distance of Brass Pineapple. Also recommend Fazio's, in an industrial area of C'ton near the downtown. Fabulous food and supper-club atmosphere. Again, many thanks to the gals (one owner, one business manager) of the property for going out of their way to make our stay an outstanding one. When in Charleston again, I'll be back! Easy off-street parking, with easy on/off access to I-64. Many thanks ladies!

Room Tip: Contact the innkeeper. Read/review the website and determine which room is the best fit for you and...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank LicensePlateGuy
Milan
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Ditto what Marcy said! My friend and I were in town for a hobby show for a week, and while all of our friends were packed into the big-name hotels downtown, we were very happy to come "home" to true comfort and hospitality all week. Lisa and Laura made us feel right at home, anticipating our every need. The location couldn't be better, on a charming tree-lined street with many well-kept Victorian homes, and within easy walking distance to the strollable Capitol grounds, a nice riverbank walk, and eclectic restaurants.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I usually stay in chain hotels as I travel for business. I lucked out when I stayed at the Brass Pineapple. The service is awesome. The rooms are clean , quiet with lovely ambience. The location is within walking distance of Capitol building, nice restaurants and a walking/running path along the river. There was self service coffee, tea and a wonderful homemade cake in the evening. For breakfast I had the best wheat pancakes ever! Oh and there is free internet and wifi for business travelers.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank MarcyRand
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2011

After a social experiment malfunctioned and a trip to Huntington to see friends was rendered pointless I found myself with ten days to spend in Charleston. I booked into the Brass Pineapple for five nights , initially, and wound up staying for all nine. The owners made me immediately welcome. I felt at ease and, as is the point with a Bed and Breakfast, at home. The place is a condensation of the best experiences of a handful of well-travelled folk who have distilled their knowledge into a well-maintained house with immaculate attention to detail. Warm, well-informed and passionate about providing honest hospitality, they extend their welcome like trusting relatives one hasn't seen for far too long. The food, in particular, is excellently sourced and well-crafted fare, placing importance on using the best of what is available in the region, made with modesty and skill. The cakes are worth a visit alone. It was very hard to leave.

Room Tip: Base you room choice on bathing agility.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
ivydale, wv
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Never stayed in a B&B before. We loved it. The owner was great, clean rooms, great breakfast. We have booked our weeding to be held here. Right by the state capital but quiet neighborhood.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Over a 100 year old house perfectly kept with a great staff and owner, great experience, only a 5 minute car drive from all the attractions downtown. Excellent breakfast, clean rooms, great overall experience!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple