Babcock State Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Clifftop
More attraction details
Owner description: A state park known for its dark and enchanting forests.
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed in one of the old cabins that the State Park rents out on a per night basis. I believe these cabins were built in the 1930's. We went over labor day and stayed in cabin 11. It was just what we expected, and was just wonderful. Very reasonable price per night.

The kitchen is beyond basic, and the teflon pan for breakfast was way past its prime and should have been replaced long ago. With no heating or A/C system (fireplace and wood only source of heat), I really enjoyed sleeping with the doors and windows open and listening to the rushing water of the creek behind. I would love to stay here in October when the leaves change color.

We hiked for hours on the trails, which have some pretty amazing cliffs so little kids beware. The swimming pool was nice, and paddle boats and canoes available on the lake. We drove into Fayetteville for some good meals at three of their restaurants. 5 miles to the nearest little grocery store in Danese, which was pretty basic in its choices.

Attention ghost enthusiasts!! We only found this info after we got home! Google cabin 13. I don't know if the park would have informed us of its history had we stayed there, but I certainly am glad I didn't know about it when we were there!

1  Thank sadiebee2013

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We drove to Babcock State Park to look around and take some photos. It is so beautiful there! There is a grist mill that is one of the most photographed sites in West Virginia. There are cabins and other things to do there, but we didn't spend the night there. Close driving distance to New River Gorge and Hawks Nest State Park.

1  Thank AroundNAround
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed at Babcock for one reason: it was close to New River Gorge where we were going rafting and exploring. Babcock is a large park, but less than half is really accessible. The old mill is quaint, but was not operating while we were there because 'their 5 freezers were already full of meal." The hiking trails were OK with some good views, but nothing spectacular. Biking on the park roads was very difficult for us flatlanders due to steep grades. They do not maintain the old Sewell Road that bisects the entire park, which is a real shame since it would make an awesome mountain bike trail. We never made it to the lake since we didn't want to invest in fishing licenses or paddleboats. And we can go swimming in a pool at home. There is a horseback riding concession, but I am not a big horse person (see my review of Mammoth Cave NP-trails have been destroyed by horses there.)

We camped for 6 nights at site 15. The sites are very close together and right above the Old Clifftop Road which is very loud and busy. The shower house was well maintained and clean. The dishwashing station is in a different area. The young man who checked us in was very pleasant, if a bit chatty. However, few of the workers knew much about the area. The cabins area is in another, much nicer part of the park. It is only about 30 minutes to the New River Gorge Bridge from the campground. There are a couple of gas station convenience stores less than 10 miles from the park. They have a gift shop at the park, but the restaurant has closed permanently and there are no camping supplies. DO NOT go down to the Camp Washington Carver unless you are attending a planned event. They were very rude and unwelcoming when we walked through there to learn about the history of the Camp.

Overall, we chose this park due to location (close to New River Gorge) and the showers (New River Gorge NP campgrounds don't have showers). However, when we come back to WV, we will likely stay in Watoga where there is an 80 mile, level rail/trail, great hiking, a nice river for tubing, and the campground is on a quiet, dead end road.

2  Thank Fourester
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We spent 5 days at Babcock State Park Campground during the Boy Scout Jamboree. Fortunately Campground has 2 areas so we were away from main location where scouts were. Stayed in #51 on edge of woods. 1st afternoon a bear surprised me in campsite! We had small trailer & tent so I questioned park rangers & they said altho they see him periodically, he'd never approached people. Had a very friendly raccoon cooing at my son through the tent every night. Clean bathrooms but no camp store other than ice & firewood. We took advantage of Park amenities & rented rowboat to fish (not a nibble) & paddleboats & swam in pool ($3.) But the highlight of camping was the riding stable at the campground. $50 each got us a 2 hour trail ride on great horses. My daughter & I are experienced riders. Husband & son have never rode. We went through a thigh high creek & up a mountain. We saw deer and smaller wildlife. Guide (Scott) was knowledgeable & friendly & didn't overtalk us - allowing us to enjoy the peace. Trailride is absolutely worth the price. Also had 30 minute, 1 hour & 3 hour, but I recommend the 2 hour for the value. Also visited Cass Scenic Railroad - about a 2 1/2 hour drive - and New River Gorge Visitors Center (30 minute drive). New River is a must see for tourists.

3  Thank Laurel M
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We dropped by Babcock state park on a Saturday evening. Drove through the park, fascinated by the dense jungle. High point was when we managed to spot a bear ! Would have liked to go hiking, but the park office was closed already, and we didn't really want to venture out on our own, especially with bears around ;)

The falls, and the house made for some fantastic pictures.