“Sunday Lunch Buffet”

Rice Bowl
Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Cross Lanes
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed August 12, 2018

A friend spoke highly of this restaurant , so my family and I visited the Rice Bowl for the first time today in Cross Lanes. I had checked out some online reviews before our visit and learned the backstory about the RIver's Edge restaurant and the items the Rice Bowl now served, including the hushpuppies, cabbage soup, and a specific salad that was served at RE.

When we entered the restaurant around 1:30 pm, groups of lunching patrons were starting to finish up. The five of us were seating in the back seating area.
I thought it was interesting that even though one person takes your drink order all the servers pitch in and help each other. Jody was extremely helpful. When I asked about the River's Edge items, she pointed out that they were all available on the lunch buffet. That made my lunch choice easy. The five of us ordered the buffet and my husband also ordered some sushi. It was presented beautifully at the table and I wish I had snapped a photo. There were also 2 sushi options on the lunch buffet.

Jody recommended mixing the ginger dressing and the French dressing from the very fresh salad bar and I'm glad I took her recommendation. It was delicious. The cabbage soup had a nice bite to it. I can't compare it to the RE since I've never tried their version before their closing. The hushpuppies were great and my husband raved that they were the best he's ever had....and we've lived in Georgia and Florida where hushpuppies are abundant on lots of menus.
Our sons all found items they loved on the buffet: one loved the General Tso's chicken, one inhaled the teriyaki chicken, and the third had seconds of the sweet and sour chicken minus the sauce. We are Heinz ketchup fans, so the ketchup packets didn't go over well with our Heinz ketchup snob sons. lol The lo mein noodles were fresh and flavorful, and I thought it was a great idea that they halve the egg rolls...such a smart idea.
Jody stopped by our table and told us a little more about the regular menu and some of the customer favorites. The decor and lighting is very nice! We will be back for sure!

Reviewed August 6, 2018

Small buffet with a couple sushi options included. Large menu to order from. All made for a decent lunch. Would give it another try in the future.

Reviewed August 3, 2018 via mobile

I eat here pretty regularly and the sushi is always very good. They run deals throughout the week and you can usually get sushi for cheaper than the usual price.

Reviewed May 27, 2018 via mobile

Big fan of the buffet. Very good salad bar and lots of choices on the hot bar. Now offering sushi fixed on the spot. As well, they offer the hush puppies and cabbage soup on the bar from the old rivers edge restaurant. A must try for anyone passing through.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed February 9, 2018 via mobile

Remodeled since I was there last, the buffet is tasty and the hush puppies with the cinnamon butter is a real treat!

Date of visit: February 2018