All reviews canaan valley the main lodge state park hickory room golf course ski area indoor pool gift shop ski lift hiking trails tennis courts valley view hot tub ski season west virginia beautiful scenery black water falls
Reviewed October 18, 2017

I was not expecting match in the wilds of West Virginia, but the Canaan Valley Resort is surprisingly deluxe. I knew it was a cut above when I walked into the hotel lobby: very modern, with clean lines. The room was attractively decorated, very clean, with everything you'd expect at, say, the level of a Marriott Courtyard: even better. The restaurant is good: not great, but good, with standard fare to suit any palette.

I want to single out the staff for their courteousness--including reservationists, front desk clerk, and wait staff in the restaurant. I'm sure I was an irritating customer to them, because I couldn't make up my mind when I come in. I had reserved for Monday, but then kept switching back and forth between Monday and Sunday. The reservations people were always friendly and accommodating, even though I'm sure that my numerous phone calls must have been annoying to them. I very much appreciated their professional courteousness. Special shout out to front-desk agent, Ray.

Room tip: You want a room facing east, toward Canaan Valley, not toward the parking lot. Note: noisy generator at southern end of building.
1  Thank brianbesser
Reviewed October 16, 2017

We've stayed here several times in the past few years and were somewhat disappointed with our room and stay this time. The light on one side of the bed was burned out-no light bulb. When we tried another bulb from a lamp, it still wouldn't work. A few housekeeping issues were also noticed and when I tried calling the front desk about them these issues, there was no answer. I understand it was a busy weekend, but someone should be answering the phone.What if I had an emergency? Most of the staff we encountered this weekend were friendly and helpful, but woman working in the Cafe up front of hotel seemed to be bothered by us coming in for a snack mid afternoon. When we returned later (8:40) for some ice cream, the Cafe was already closed-paper we got at check-in said it was opened until 9:00. Asked the nice man in the gift shop but he didn't know why it was closed already. He referred us to the restaurant for ice cream which was still open.We will still return with the hopes that some people were just having an "off day" as this is not how things have been in past visits. The grounds are still nice to enjoy and restaurant has a good breakfast buffet.

Room tip: We like top floor facing the valley/golf course
Reviewed October 13, 2017 via mobile

Resort was excellent! Food in dining areas was good and rooms were very clean and beds comfortable. They have a game room and sauna as well as fitness center. Only downside was pool was pretty cold. Would definitely recommend

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank laurasQ6203QM
Reviewed October 9, 2017

We really enjoyed a quick, two night excursion to Canaan Valley Resort to enjoy the fall foliage. While we didn't camp this time out...we did get to see some of the cabins from the outside and they look like a great choice for families. Staying in the lodge, we were really floored by how beautifully built and maintained the resort is. The lobby and overlook are worthy of some of the most exclusive hotel properties anywhere. Our room, in the north building, was extremely clean and comfortable. And we are pretty picky. We were a bit disappointed with the food in the lodge dining room, a buffet on the night we tried, but there are plenty of alternatives nearby. Check out the little town of Davis and just to north of it, there's Thomas, where we had a fun night of music and coffee at The Purple Fiddle. The highlight of the trip, though, was running into the resort photographer, Justin Harris. We tagged along while he was shooting some of the beautiful mountain foliage. He is a wealth of information, full of adventure and fun!

Reviewed October 1, 2017

Clean and quiet room. Wonderful views from the balcony with many deer sightings. Trails are nice and peaceful too with additional deer sightings. There is a golf course, a nature center or opportunity to ride on the chair lift. Although we did not do any of these things, we did enjoy the opportunity to hike and do nothing else but enjoy the beauty and peacefulness.

Room tip: room with a balcony is a nice extra and we saw lots of deer too
Date of stay: September 2017