4 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PricelineUS$170
eDreamsUS$170
Agoda.comUS$170
TripadvisorUS$170
ZenHotels.com
Lol.travel
All reviews canaan valley ski area ski lift state park indoor pool ice skating valley resort game room beautiful scenery west virginia breakfast buffet short drive the main dining room dolly sods skiing deer lounge
Selected filters
Reviewed March 3, 2021 via mobile

We had a great stay in the governor's suite. The hotel is clean and the staff are really sweet. I love the atmosphere. Even though the hotel might be full it never feels crowded. The suite was awesome! We have been coming here for years and I recognize some of the same staff! ❤

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank 545cindys
Reviewed February 24, 2021 via mobile

Overall, we had a really good stay. And I don’t want to write a review with only negative info, so I’ll start with the good.
Pros: Beautiful lodge with a fairly good restaurant and cafe and pub for smaller fare. Staff was nice and the views from our room’s balcony were really beautiful. It’s a cozy lodge and very spacious with lots of room to walk around inside and gather in common areas. I was concerned about staff-masking after reading some recent reviews but it seems the management must of cracked down on staff bc all were masking properly and some even wore gloves.
Cons: In contrast, the resort does not appear to enforce the mandated-mask rule. There were fliers and signs throughout about COVID safety, social distancing stickers on the floor, and hand sanitizer stations. Yet, while there, we walked past a banquet room with an estimated 100+ people (part of a Community Church gathering/worship service) and we literally only saw ONE mask-wearer. Most of the other guests wore masks but I’d guesstimate 1/4th of them would walk around completely maskless (and not even faking it with a mask pulled down below their noses.) Husband and I double-masked the entire visit.
I sympathize with what a challenge it must be to keep all guests in masks, and would bet they don’t want to chance loosing customers by enforcing it. But while we were there, we were told a close family member received a positive COVID result, so it was really at the fore-front of our minds.
My advice to upcoming guests is to minimize time spent in common areas, double-mask, and bring your Clorox wipes to further sanitize your room.

A random tidbit—the slopes are not very close to the resort. This was a surprise to me bc I could not find this info online when booking. They do have a shuttle and free parking if you choose to drive over. It’s about 2-3 miles and a very easy drive over.

Date of stay: February 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank FallsChurchSteph
Reviewed February 19, 2021

My son broke his wrist while snowboarding on the mountain there. The front desk staff helped us decide the best hospital emergency room to go to. They also facilitated getting us a late night meal when we got back from the ER after midnight, and they included extra desserts and a written notes of support from the staff that made my son feel special. They also offered to refund the 2 nights we could no longer stay because we had to go home for follow up medical care. I look forward to returning in the near future!

Room tip: The suite is worth the extra money to get the couch
Reviewed February 17, 2021

called three times over two days, message says they are helping other guests and they will get back to you asap, end of second day and no response, maybe they don't need the business. My wife and I both owned very successful businesses for years, and not returning calls or having someone available to answer the phone is probably the first step to being unsuccessful. If they ever do get back to me I could recommend a very good business development coach for them

Reviewed February 9, 2021 via mobile

My son and I used to have season tickets to Canaan but as he got better, we switched to Snowshoe. But for nostalgia sake, we returned last weekend.

First the pros:
The lodge is beautiful. We love the rooms. The lodge also has some game rooms with arcade games that is fun for kids. However, the games are not safely spaced for COVID.

The lodge's ice skating rink is fun and the skates had sharp edges ( not always the case for rentals). It's a great size and it was especially beautiful at sunset. However, they didn't shovel the 50 yard slippery inclined walk to the rink so my son and I had to walk through maybe 12-18 inches of snow to get there. With a proper snowblower it would probably take 20 minutes to clear.

Cons:
1) They appear to be completely unaware that there's a pandemic. Not only did they not enforce masks, I saw a maskless ski patrol person ask if he could join a group on a chair lift (so much for "helping" others). The Bear Paw Food Court had a line for people to get food. So many people without masks and nobody asking them to put them on. I was waiting on line and the person behind me was maybe a yard back with no mask. I asked them to put on a mask and they gave me a dirty look. This should not be my job. If this weren't the case I would probably give them 2-3 stars but as long as there's a pandemic, I will never return.

2) Over the years I have found them to be inflexible and I wonder if they are aware that across the street is Timberline Mountain and in the same region is Snowshoe, Wisp, etc. I had booked a room for Sat and Sun. I asked if I could move it to Fri and Sat instead and the answer was a hard no - because rules are rules.

3) You can't get lift tickets at the lodge. I went to the mountain to get lift tickets (the mountain is maybe a mile away) and asked to also get tickets for their tubing park and they said I had to go to the tubing park to get them. You can almost see the tubing park pavilion from the lift ticket line - it's walking distance - but you have to go to two place to get them. Every other place I have gone to, you can get the tickets al in one place - at the lodge.

The actual mountain is okay but not great. Nearly all the trails funnel you to the same lift so there's no exploring different parts of the mountain. Timberline Mountain is the same way, but their runs are exceptionally better. With Canaan you often need to ski half-way down the mountain to start a run whereas with Timberline, their runs are nearly all top-to-bottom.

Snowshoe, Wisp, even Liberty are far more interesting.

Trip type: Travelled with family