“Perfect cozy cabin in the woods!”
other travellers have booked this property
Main Entrance Fish from your hot tub!
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Main Entrance
Fish from your hot tub!
Directly riverside, fish from your private hot tub !
Large Kitchen and Dining area
Enjoy the snowy river from your hot tub!
Large screened porch
Picnic on the porch
View from across the river.
Cathedral celing with Fieldstone hearth w/ gas logs
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 13 reviews

Reviews from our community

duke291
Pasadena, Maryland
“Would Have Been Great...”
Reviewed August 9, 2016 for a stay in August 2016

I would love to have given this place a glowing review. I have so many great river-front pictures to carry with me, but...there was a rodent (or some other creature) that had gotten into the wall behind the refrigerator and expired. The smell was so strong. If you know the smell of death and decomposing, it becomes overpowering very quickly. We checked in Monday, late afternoon. We told housekeeping staff about it promptly Tuesday morning, as the smell was not quite as bad when we checked in (and there wasn't anyone on duty anyway). She immediately came to check the cabin and confirmed that there was a strong smell. She moved the fridge and couldn't find the culprit but left us with some Lysol spray for the odor. By Thursday, the smell was intolerable. We brought it to her attention again and she immediately called for maintenance. He was so nice and immediately said that he was able to smell it upon entry. He removed the stationary cabinet that holds the vacuum and sealed much of the wall with a standard polyurethane foam, locking in some of the smell. However, by that point, the smell was so pervasive we had completely stopped cooking the food we had brought to the cabin, opting instead to eat locally (which greatly exceeded our vacation budget).

We had found (and removed) two baby mice from the cabin (the first on Tuesday morning, the second, Wednesday morning). After notifying housekeeping staff, we were told that the "poison guy" had just come and I suspect that is why we had the experience with the smell that we had.

I wish I could leave a good review, but our clothes and all of our belongings smelled so strongly bringing them back that we either had to wash or throw away many items and we spent so much money buying groceries for the week only to eat out anyway. I can't, in good conscience, leave a positive review when part of the cabin's appeal was that you could cook rather than spending additional monies eating out every meal out.

On a positive note: you won't find a cabin closer to the water. The hot-tub was serviced daily and smelled appropriately of chlorine and cleanliness. The queen beds (the only ones we used) were very, very comfortable and smelled not only clean (like bleach) but like nice fabric softener. The blackout curtains encouraged my 8 yr old to sleep much longer than he normally would have (small blessings for any parent!!). Staff I interacted with was so very friendly, in fact maintenance brought us some of his personal fishing gear to help us out (thanks so much--I hope it found its way back to you!!)

Helpful notes: Stuart Recreation is so close and great, you should go. I recommend Crocs for the slippery river rocks. I don't know why they work so well, but they are incredible, especially for younger, less experienced swimmers/river walkers. River fishing is quite different than pond fishing, you should google it before you come. (My personal recommendation is nightcrawlers. They were immediately bit upon, but also the only thing we caught fish on the entire time we were there). El Gran Sabor restaurant is really good as are a few other indicated restaurants on the informational in the cabin. Blackwater Falls is great (though a 45 minute drive) but a pretty easy trek for younger audiences once you get there. Seneca is great for those at least 6 and up. Can be precarious at times, but my boy has been climbing it since age 5.

Honestly, would love to recommend this place but we just had too many rodent problems (I have so many rodent pictures and uncomfortable smells to remind me) that I can't recommend this wonderful cabin. If these deficiencies were remedied recommendation would be possible, but for the price paid, only to have to pay more to eat out and spend time away from the wonderful, yet wholly intolerable cabin, I wouldn't be obliged to give it less than satisfactory ratings.

Date of stay: August 2016
Liked best: River Access, incomprable
Liked least: Dead Rodents, Smell
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:
Families with young children People with pets
17 Aug 2016
We are sorry you experienced a negative aspect of 'life on the county'. Though your cooking odors masked our ability to detect the source of the unpleasant odor, we did everything possible to eliminate the smell at the entry door to the kitchen. We pulled out appliances, and removed cabinets from the wall near the doorway to no avail. Because nothing was found 'inside' near the threshold, it was determined that the odor was emanating from exterior. We do have a contract pest control that routinely treats the properties, but this must have been been a animal unrelated to this service. As we had 100% occupancy, we had no other place to move them. The only other option was to vacate the premise but it sounds like they found plenty of good reasons to stay. From this person's positive observations, this situation was not by our lack of our maintenance and cleanliness. ..or moreover attentiveness. It was caused by our environment. This fully equipped, 3 bedroom riverFRONTcabin, with hot tub & FP, furnished screened porch, BBQ grill, & private yard, rents for $196-$231/ night. This is not much different than what ONE hotel suite would cost. Cleaning fee is included. For the most current photos of this property, please visit our Facebook page at: Cheat River Lodge & Cabins.
Andrea G
Fort Belvoir, Virginia
“Perfect cozy cabin in the woods!”
Reviewed December 16, 2014 for a stay in December 2014

This cozy little cabin in the woods, right next to the river, is exactly what we hoped for! Our family, from Great Grandma to Great Granddaughter came to Elkins to ride the Polar Express. We wanted to pair that with a cozy fun stay in a log cabin with room for all of us. This cabin was exactly that. It was clean. The furnishings were just right for a log cabin stay. Our granddaughter loved her quilt covered bed in the loft. Plenty of hot water for baths and showers. The drive to the train station is only 15 minutes. Thank you!

Date of stay: December 2014
Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: Room for all of us and the fireplace
Liked least: No dishwasher
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Loutaylor...
“A great getaway. And close to town”
Reviewed November 6, 2014 for a stay in October 2014

My wife and I rented this cabin from October 31 to nov. 4. We had a great time. The service was great. It was cold when we was there. And between the gas fireplace and the hot tub. We enjoyed the entire weekend. All and all worth the money. Not far from town and attractions. Scenic railroad, right down. In town.

Date of stay: October 2014
Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
bay87
“WONDERFUL GETAWAY!!!!!!”
Reviewed October 27, 2014 for a stay in October 2014

We had the best time staying in the Rhode. It was very quiet and relaxing. I was scared that being close to the water we would see mice, bugs, & spiders, but I never seen one thing.
The cabin looks just like the pictures shows except the bedding, it had different bed
coverings on them (very nice) and the beds were sooooo comfortable! The furniture was also in super condition & very comfy. The kitchen was stocked very well with pots and pans, dishes & utensils of all kinds. It was a great weekend... we will stay again!!

Date of stay: October 2014
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: cabin, quietness, peaceful
Liked least: The fact I couldn't stay longer
Travelling group: Extended Family
ncrbrew
the burgh
“As always a great get away.”
Reviewed March 7, 2014 for a stay in September 2013
person found this review helpful

Wanted to take the GF to CRL for an overnight had a fun day at local attractions and decided to stay at the Rhodedendron. Perfect for 1 or 2 couples and you can easily throw a kid in the loft. Always loved the place, heading back down for a couples get away later this month all 6 of us have stayed in a few of the cabins/houses and love it. Keep up the great work CRL.
Nick

Date of stay: September 2013
How easy was key pickup/access to the property?
6 Mar 2014
When we get great responses from guests like you who appreciate our efforts to provide very nice accommodations in a rural setting, it makes us want to do more ! So here is what is in the works for the Rhododendron (and our other properties, too). A nice flat screen TV has been mounted on the wall since your stay A conversion to an updated color scheme and décor is in the works, and we are converting the bed linens to include white duvets. This gives a contemporary, fresh look to our bedrooms. We are re-carpeting the screen porch, and revamping its décor to make it a cozy place to spend a warm afternoon. I think you'll enjoy the improvements when you come back ! Thanks again for taking the time to post a review. :)
pam k
columbia, IL
“Lesson Learned”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 for a stay in July 2013
person found this review helpful

I booked a week at Cheat River Lodge in the Rhododendron house.
I send my $787.35 (50%) deposit via check. 10 days before my reservation I called to cancel and was told that if they re-rented it I would get my deposit back. I said that is fine. Well I thought that I would get my deposit back for the 3 days that they did re-rented. I was told "no refund" because they didn't rent it for the full 7 days that I had made the reservation for. Yes their policy states that. I just think their policy stinks. So read the fine print and be careful.

Date of stay: July 2013
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
5 Aug 2013
What this person failed to add was that the nights that re-rented were at the END of her stay. If we were like most home rental companies/agencies we would have required 100% upfront, and then yes she would be due a refund. The first half of her reservation was not re-rented, and unfortunately the house sat empty. See also does not tell you that we had held this specific property for her exclusive use since May 20, 2013 almost 8 weeks. We do not charge a booking fee for a cancellation, but we require that all nights re-rent. The reservation can be transferred to another person. Certainly it would be better to 'gift' the reservation to someone rather than lose your deposit. When Pam cancelled, the policy was reiterated, and this suggestion was made.
Julia S
Manassas, Virginia, United States
“Perfect quiet weekend getaway!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013 for a stay in February 2013
person found this review helpful

The cabin was the most amazing location and was exactly what we were looking for! It was located right on the river, perfect for fishing. The hot tub was so close to the river we could've almost fished right from it. Between the wood burning fireplace, the river right out the door, and the hot tub steps from porch, we couldn't have asked for a more romantic setting.
The staff was extremely helpful and responsive. As soon as we arrived we noticed we would need more wood (we planned on having one going from the moment we arrived until we left!); even in the 4in of snow already on the ground, they came within the hour and dropped off more. They even came back the next day to bring more wood - considering there was now 8in of snow on the ground, couldn't ask for better service!
We will definitely be back to this adorable cabin sometime soon!

Date of stay: February 2013
Liked best: The location
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway People with pets
4 Feb 2013
Thank you for such kind words! We are a small non-commercial getaway and we really strive to offer a great service. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
US$USD
Canada (English)
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.