Durbin and Greenbrier Valley Railroad
Review Highlights
Road Scholar Program: Riding the Rails

This was a group tour of about 64 people. We rode on the Cass Bald Knob Train, the Cheat Mountain... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
Ace_53144
Norristown, Pennsylvania
Great day trip

Our trip to the high falls aboard the Flyer was awesome. We had our grandchildren along for their... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
sammyj0724
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

All reviews parlor car cookies high falls cheat river tygart flyer train ride sandwich cold cuts great ride buffet lunch return trip hour trip dinner train strawberry shortcake dining car all you can eat prime rib
Reviewed November 7, 2017

My husband and I had table #2 in the parlor car circa 1929, if my memory holds. We could not have asked for a better spot unless it was table #1 on the other side of the train. Unsure how the tables were assigned, but possibly by date of when tickets are purchased. On the ride to the falls there were complementary drinks (wine just ok, but my husband liked it.) and a buffet lunch of sandwiches, salads, chips and such. Nothing special, but it was fine and we had no complaints. At one point, the engine was moved to the end of the train, and we were pushed the rest of the way to the falls. The falls were lovely and I took some wonderful pictures. On the way down the mountain we had unobstructed perfect views of the mountain stream, tunnel we road through, and the fall colors. Dessert was served. Since we did not enter the other cars, I cannot give any details about them. We felt the 4 hour trip was just right. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and walked a block to the train depot.

Reviewed November 1, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I have rode this train twice. It is a very pleasent and scenic ride. The people who work there are very nice.

Reviewed October 25, 2017

We were in the luxurious parlor car on the New Tygart Flyer and had booked 6 weeks in advance. Others told us they tried to get this car (at an extra cost) but the limited seating of only 2 facing seats next to a picture window limited availability. Buffett included drinks and wine. Great scenic views along the river as we climbed the mountain to and from the water falls. Friendly and accommodating waitress.

1  Thank JohnSu90
Reviewed October 25, 2017

The Wild Heart of West Virginia Adventure Package is the combination of two rail trips over at least two days. We left from Elkins where we boarded the diesel powered Cheat Mountain Salamander. for a trip south along the Shavers Fork of the Cheat River. The four hour trip included an adequate cold cut buffet lunch and an extended stop at the High Falls of the Cheat. For photographers, there are open air "windows" in the back buffet car.

The train then rendezvoused with the Cass Mountain Railroad at Spruce Junction where we transferred to a Shay steam powered train up to Bald Knob. This three hour trip took us up 12% grades and included a water stop. After an extended stay at the top, we went back down to Cass. This trip included an extended stop at Whittaker Station, a recreated logging camp.

After spending the night in Cass, we returned to Elkins, taking the Shay to Spruce Junction where we transferred back to the diesel train. On board we received another buffet lunch. This latter trip included an extended stop at the site of the abandoned Old Spruce town.

If you take this trip, I have three recommendations.
1) If you are a couple, resist the sales pressure to stay in the Cass company houses and stay at the local motel instead.
2) Board the Cheat Mountain Salamander early so you can sit is the coach car - it is much more comfortable than the parlor car tables.
3) Spend an extra night in Cass, using the next day to explore the town and railroad attractions.

1  Thank Ed C
Reviewed October 22, 2017

I have been on this train many times. We always get the First Class Parlor car. The views are amazing and the ride is really good for the age of the RR and cars.

3  Thank jondeere2017