All reviewsrooftop barboutique hotelparking garagebar next doorprepackaged muffinsgranola barsloved this hotelroom was largenight lifewithin walking distancerestaurants and shopscomfortable bedsbathroom sinkthe entire staffstaff was very friendly and helpfulfront desk staffstayed one night
Reviewed May 17, 2018 via mobile

Had the best of times again. Now with the new renovation is bigger and better. The night life. So many restaurants to choose from shops that have everything from West Virginia shirts and clothing shops.Then come back to the nice quite cool and calming room. Just had another great time at the Chestnut. Thanks again

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2018 via mobile

We booked a stay at The Chestnut in April of 2018 for 2 nights to attend WVU decide day. We wanted a place in the town of Morgantown within walking distance to WVU so we could get a real feel for the potential future town of our daughter . The location was good for quick walking access to the university .
When we checked in the hotel was under construction, which was never mentioned when booking. The lobby the hallways everywhere was a mess. We were surprised to find out the lovely rooftop deck / lounge pictured on the website was no longer in existence along with many other advertised amenities .
Our room was a disgrace .. an inch of dust everywhere the bed linens were a mess and even the folded guest towel in bathroom had an unidentifiable icky substance on it. Also a very unpleasant odor throughout the room .
We requested a new room and were placed one floor up. On first look room was a bit tidier. We had to run off to a scheduled appointment . Upon our return and close inspection the room also was very unclean . The shower curtain bar was caked in mold , just for one example. It was late so we stayed . We made it thru the night but checked out first thing the next morning. They did issue us refund for the 2nd night staff seemed completely unfazed as if this happens often .
In the end we did Decide for WVU but decided against The Chestnut in future . It’s a shame because we like to support small businesses over big chains . But Marriot or Holiday Inn Here we come !

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank bethborchers
Reviewed April 29, 2018 via mobile

Scariest parking garage EVER! Noise non stop from inside and outside, college kids partying in the hall making it uncomfortable to leave the room. I’m a 38 year old mom of two and was asked if I wanted to party with 6 guys about 5 years older than my oldest son! Our sink and tub both backed up as well. Just a terrible experience all around.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2018 via mobile

Checked in to find stained sheets and a bug on the pillow. We left immediately and headed straight to the Marriott, where for $30 more we got a beautiful room (larger than at the Chestnut), in a lovely hotel complex with a Starbucks, lobby bar and restaurant. The Marriott also provided valet parking and smooth, professional check-in.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2018 via mobile

I have stayed at the Chestnut about 6 times over the last two years. I am a parent of a WVU student. I could brag about room and location and service and views from rooftop for pages. However I not the forested writer so just want to compliment the place and offer quick summary.

It is the closest hotel to the downtown campus. It is right in town and in very safe area. It is a boutique hotel and has that warm feel similar to a BnB without having to stay in someone's home and affording more privacy. It is less than 3 blocks from probably 15 restaurants/bars and there is great Restaurant/casual/friendly bar right on hotel grounds. The rooftop is awesome offering great views of school and hills and river and all.
Rooms are spacious and extremely clean and beds are so comfy. Nice flatscreen TV clean bathroom. Perfect.
Parking inside garage and free and safe. I trying to think of negative but I can only boast of the Chestnut. I guess if you stayed on a busy weekend like homecoming or football weekend or some other school event there could be some noise but where is that not the case. I mean I have stayed at a Four Seasons when wedding held in hotel and the noise was annoying.
Prices really fair compared to other places. Sure you could save $20 bucks on one of the county road strip motels and if you want to walk to a supermarket or an Applebee's or McDonalds then stay at one of the comfort inns or similar. But if you want service and be in town and walk to restaurants and bars and retailers that are not chains then stay here. You won't regret it.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family