“Lu ch”

Captain D's
Ranked #25 of 64 Restaurants in Princeton
Cuisines: Fast food
Reviewed February 4, 2018

Typical food, quick service,clean, friendly, convient, great hush puppies, hot food, prompt service please

Reviewed December 26, 2017 via mobile

One of our favorite places to stop for fish. We always get prompt service. Fish was excellent. Total cost for a senior two-piece fish and baked potato was $5.70. Enough to share with two people. Always ask for extra cracklins.

Reviewed August 14, 2017 via mobile

Fairly typical Captain D's restaurant. Always like to get the extra crunchies. They have senior specials for $4.99 on Wednesdays and Sundays. Had a salmon cake. Probably not worth the $1.99 cost. The fish and shrimp were good.

Reviewed February 5, 2017

Stopped in here for a quick dinner. There was a lot of meal combo selections. The servings were generous. I had the batter fried fish along with coleslaw and breaded okra. It was good, but I don't normally eat fried food, so I can't say it was great. The staff was very friendly and service very good.

Reviewed October 26, 2016

Left Cornelius, NC at 4:30 am on a photo excursion to explore fall foliage in the New River Gorge. Great day and a lot of pictures but needed to get back down the road to Cornelius, It was already 2:30, I was hungry and had just gotten off the WV Toll Road. For some reason, all day I had been thing about a fish dinner.

Not fully committed to fish when I got off of I-77 but then I saw Captain D's and pulled right in despite the fact that the last couple of times I have gone to a Captain D's, I was less than thrilled with the service.

They had a line but it was moving well. Placed an order for a 4 piece fish dinner with fries, and it also came with hushpuppies and cole slaw. Paid and they gave me a signaling devise that when off before I had even turned around. Apparently they make menu items ahead which is OK and my fish was nice and hot.

I must commend management. This is a well run shop.

Picked up some tartar sauce at the condiment station and found a seat. Looking around the room, I saw several bottle of my preferred Malt Vinegar which I went over to another table and picked one up.

As far as the food, the fish was excellent and let's face it, this is the reason you would come to Captain D's. Nice and flaky, moist and a nice crust on the outside. Fries on the other hand were a disappointment. Soggy, limp, greasy and undercooked. Hushpuppies were so oily that we will not have to depend on Saudi Arabia for the next 30 years. Cole Slaw was nice and crispy although I will admit I am not a Cole Slaw fan. I did try dipping some of the fish in the tartar sauce and the sauce is very bland. Reason for using tartar sauce or Malt Vinegar is to give contrast to an otherwise mild dish such as fish and in this case, did not cut it.

Strong points are the quality of the fish, service and strong management.

Weakness is that the other offerings do not compliment an otherwise good fish dinner.

Value is very good and if you like fish, you might want to give them a try but choose other sides.