1,417 results
All reviewsfire pitgolf coursetj muskiesarnold palmerpaddle boatsoutdoor activitiesbeautiful lakewest virginiabreakfast buffethiking trailsstate parkactivity centerthe cottagesoff the menuhot tubgift shoprelaxing weekend
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Spent three nights at this beautiful resort with friends and really was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. We have stayed at many different types of high end resorts and this is very nice. Beautiful lake, boating, golfing, dining, and relaxing. Except for a small hiccup at check in ( rooms not ready- check in guy was not so nice), everyone was so pleasant, helpful and kind. Enjoyed a pontoon boat rental from the marina and took our lunch with us on the boat, so peaceful and relaxing. Guys enjoyed the Arnold Palmer golf course, we all enjoyed a hike through one of the state park trails, paddle boated, sat by the fire in the evening.Just overall enjoyable. For the low price, this place was very good , with lots of activities for all.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write. We appreciate your compliments. It means a lot to our staff. Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

This was my family's third visit to Stonewall Resort. Each time we visit, I am always impressed with the lodge. You can tell a lot of time and effort were put into the design and amenities. Before our visit, I did read other reviews from people who expressed concerns about customer service though, and I am sorry to report that we also had some issues that marred what otherwise would have been a lovely stay.

We arrived at 2pm to check into our three bedroom cottage. We were told that check-in wasn't until 4pm, and that our cottage wasn't ready yet, but to check back "in a little bit". We understood and went to hang out at the pool. Now, I know that "technically" check-in isn't until 4:00pm because it takes time to clean from departing guests, but coming from the hotel industry myself, I also know that when a guest arrives early, hotel staff can and should do everything possible to try and get their room/cottage ready when they know the guest is there and waiting. We checked back at 2:30 and again at 3:00pm. "Still not ready" was ther response each time. When I asked how much longer, the response from the front desk was "we don't know"'. I also noticed one ever bothered to find out by either calling housekeeping or sending someone over to physically check the cottage or help finish the cleaning. In my past life as a hotel manager, I was known to personally jump in and clean rooms when I knew a guest was waiting. Checked back again at 3:45, "still not ready" and by this point I was getting beyond frustrated. Miraculously, exactly at 4pm, our cottage was ready. Hmmm...

During this time, my hotel instincts told me that no one bothered to check with housekeeping to see if it was ready before 4. Why? Because I actually drove down to the cottages myself at 3pm and saw that housekeeping had already finished it and was several cottages away. Why make us wait until 4 unless you just couldn't be bothered to call houskeeping to see if in fact it was ready early which it looked to me like it was?

On a positive note, the cottage was beautiful, dinner at the golf course restaurant was fabulous and my kids loved the pool, although they were disappointed that there is a new rule that kids under 12 couldn't use the hot tub.

I just wish they would try to go a little "above and beyond" in their customer service, the staff just didn't seem to care.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank EmmanLukesMum
StonewallResortMgmt, Manager at Stonewall Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Stonewall Resort. We appreciate your feedback and we take your comments seriously. Our leadership team met as a group this summer to discuss how we can improve our communication and teamwork so we can handle these situations better in the future. We hope we can welcome you back for another visit soon!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Just got back from a nice trip to this resort. The room was a good size, clean and comfortable. The only bad thing was that the room did not have a mini-fridge in it. This forced you to buy from the resort, at two dollars a soda. We ate at both restaurants and the food was good but over priced, same for the five dollar Beers. Pool is a good size, but like other people said expect to have other people in the pool. If you want a couples vacation go to someone that is smaller and specializes. To think that you are going to go to a resort like this and be alone is foolish. Besides the pool there is also great hiking, kayaking and canoeing. Did not play golf. Also there is a $15 per day resort fee on top of room cost. So use the "free" amenities. I don't mean to sound cheep but over $500 for two days, three nights was high for what I received in return.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Stonewall Resort. We appreciate your feedback and take your comments seriously. Our staff is committed to providing a good value for the price paid and your comments have challenged our team to make sure we are always delivering a good value. We hope we can welcome you back to Stonewall again soon!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed here for one night on the way home from Myrtle Beach. Our plan was to pick a place that the kids could have as much fun as they wanted to before we drove the last 5 hours back home. Because the resort is rated 4-star, I expected a higher class facility. The entire property was clean and enjoyable, just not quite what we hoped for. We stayed in a room in the lodge. The room was small. The bathroom was well fitted-good lighting, great water pressure, nice towels. The beds were quite uncomfortable. There is absolutely nothing else in the area so you are forced to eat in their restaurants. There are not even any restaurants at exit 91 at I-79 so know that you are captive to their food selection! We ate dinner at the golf course restaurant...very good dinner and average pricing. We all had the breakfast buffet for $14. Very good selection of buffet items. Was worth $14. The hot tubs and fire pit areas were totally taken over by large groups/families. The 5 of us could not use those areas because we were not part of the groups. Very unwelcome feeling. The property was nicely maintained and could be a lot of fun if in a big group, it was just not our "cup of tea." We came from a five-star resort in Myrtle Beach and this was just quite the same!! The pics on their web site definately make it appear nicer than it really is. It was fine for one night, but we would certainly not return. Their are definately nicer vacation choices available!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank loveisbliss

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Stonewall Resort. We appreciate your candid feedback. We seek to continually improve and our team is committed to create memorable experiences for each and every one of our our guests. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations this time but we do hope we can welcome you back on a future visit.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

We have been to the Stonewall resort numerous times and have always been pleased with the property. Clean rooms, very nice lobby with fireplace and a good (but pricey) restaurant. There is TJ Muskie for a lighter meal however it's quite small and on this trip was impossible to get a seat.There is a third restaurant, Lightburns, but it is not open year round.
As others have pointed out it is in a remote location and dining off site will involve a trip of at least 30 minutes(Jane Lew to the north, Flatwood to the south) so most likely you will use the in-house dining facilities,

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank geopa

Thank you for being a frequent guest at Stonewall Resort! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!