1,415 results
All reviewsfire pitgolf coursetj muskiesarnold palmerpaddle boatsoutdoor activitiesbeautiful lakewest virginiabreakfast buffethiking trailsstate parkactivity centerthe cottagesoff the menuhot tubgift shoprelaxing weekend
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I have read several reviews and the results are all over the board. My wife and I spent last weekend at the Stonewall Resort for a getaway, and felt that it was a terrific place. Remembering that this is a State Park, it actually was sort of swank.

The staff, most of which appear to be not much older than college age, were tip-top. The food was very good, the rooms adquate, and the amenities were numerous. I noted a common complaint was the lack of "snacks", so we took our own and were glad that we did. We also took "libations" to enjoy before dinner on the fire-pit patio. We also watched two different wedding parties rehearse for their lodge-site nuptials the following day.

Both restaurants are wonderful and have different menu selections. The Sunday brunch is varied and equally delicious as the menu items.

The scenery is beautiful. Although we didn't hike or ride bikes, we did take a canoe out and paddled around a while. The water is very warm and my wife even took a dip.

I would recommend this property for a meeting location or weekend getaway. The Benchmark Corp. is doing a fine job of running this resort. I will post a couple of photos in the next few days.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank WheelingWVMarty
Reviewed June 29, 2007

Spent a week here as a family in one of the cabins surrounding the lake. The cabin was cute and very clean (3 bedrooms/2 baths), with a full kitchen and fireplace. Also had its own washer and dryer which came in handy with so much activity on and around the lake.

The staff is mostly young - late teens and early twenties, but very polite and accomodating. We really enjoyed sitting on our deck in the mornings, drinking coffee, and watching the deer as they grazed on the hill across from the cabin.

We did feel that the resort is mostly geared toward conferences and golfing, but our family LOVED it (and no one golfed!). The views are really spectacular, and there is so much to do at the resort that we only left it for one day to check out a local winery and a glass blowing factory (which was more like a glass blowing room!) We rented a pontoon boat for 1/2 a day and had a blast, touring the lake and stopping at little islands scattered along the lake.

Our group of kids ranged in age from 12 to 15, and had a great time at the pool, in the paddle boats, in the kayaks, and riding the bikes.

We brought our own food from home and ate at the cabin which we loved doing since the view from the back deck was so great. We did go to Lightburns one afternoon, and found the food to be good and the prices reasonable.

FYI - If you stay at the cabins, you can just park your car and call a shuttle (could be a little bus, or might be a golfcart!) and they'll come to pick you up, as the lodge/pool is about 8/10 of a mile from the cabins (loved being away from all the hoopla, but within easy access!). We never waited more than 5 minutes once we put in our call.

Beautiful resort. Very relaxing. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank The_Goonies
Reviewed June 23, 2007

Just returned from a night at this resort. It was our first experience visiting the park and resort. We were pleased to find out that it is located just a couple of minutes from I-79. We were part of a large group wedding reception being hosted on the property. The grounds and surrounding state park and Arnold Palmer golf course were imaculate.

The staff was more than pleasing. Our room was located on the second floor which was nice because visitors actually enter the structure on the second floor. Our room was a standard two-double bed unit. We didn't know if larger units were offered. Ours was very clean and roomy, especially the bath area. In fact we suspected that it was primarily a handicapped equiped unit as it had many hand rails around the toilet and bath.

The bathroom countertop was quite small. The pool area was extremely nice and large. The restaraunt offered a very nice breakfast buffet and brunch. There is a complementary cruise on the lake a couple of times each day but we didn't have time to fit it in on this trip.
There is also a very nice spa on premises.

As stated before, the golf course looked really nice. This resort appears to be catered to golfers, relaxation, conferences and large parties such as our reception. I also believe it would be a good choice for north/south travelers on I-79 as a nice stop over (as it is quite close to the interstate). Don't expect an elaborate room for the money, but the premises are really nice.

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank sinjin79
Reviewed June 21, 2007

I treated my husband to a 3-day stay at Stonewall Resort for his birthday from June 17-June 20, 2007. I had been to Stonewall one time previously last August for a staff retreat with my co-workers and decided then it would be a nice place for a romantic getaway.

First, let me say that the scenery at Stonewall resort is breathtaking, with plenty of wildlife around. We saw deer, raccoons, chipmunks, and various species of wild birds while staying there. The resort itself is very attractive, decorated in Craftsman style. All areas seemed well maintained and clean.

The resort staff was always unfailingly polite from the front desk clerks to maintenance workers. I was surprised at how young the staff was…most seemed to be no older than late teens or college age.

The rooms are pleasant but not extraordinary. Ask for a room overlooking the lake on the third floor of the Chestnut Lodge section of the resort….ours was and the view was spectacular.

We only dined at Stillwaters (the resort's main on site restaurant) while at Stonewall. I cannot understand why anyone would say the food was “awful”. If you are used to or are expecting a “country style” buffet, you are not going to find that here. If you look at the regular menu items which include such diverse dishes as braised rabbit and potato and ramp soup, you quickly realize the buffet items are probably going to be unique as well. The dinner buffet on our second night was the best of the three nights with dishes such as pecan encrusted chicken in a coconut-curry sauce, spicy Thai peanut noodles, Asian BBQ beef, rainbow trout, and a hot and sour soup among many others. The salad area of the buffet was very good with fresh ingredients like field greens, wild mushrooms plus other unique salads such a spicy green bean salad tossed in vinaigrette and an avocado shrimp salad. They make their own dressings here too…while we were here they had homemade vinaigrettes, Green Goddess dressing, and bleu cheese dressing. There was also a stir fry station where you could pick your own ingredients and sauces and have a chef prepare it for you. The breakfast buffet was excellent every day with a nice balance of hot and cold items. I believe the head chef here tries to make sure the dishes are both unique and tasty and most of the time succeeds in this.

The staff at Stillwaters while we were there were very attentive, they came back regularly to refill drinks and ask if there was anything else we needed. One morning our waitress even asked if we would like a soft drink or tea to take with us after our meal. None of the staff was too distant or too chatty…just right.

It is not true that there is nothing to eat nearby…the town of Weston is only a few minutes away with every type of fast food you could desire right off the interstate. I have stayed at many resorts from FL to New England and most of them have pricey food with little option for dining other than their onsite restaurants…this is not an unusual thing. By all means if you are coming to Stonewall bring snacks if you feel you need them.

Stonewall has many activities available which are included in the $12.50 per day resort fee. We went canoeing (which was a blast and the lake is HUGE), bicycling, hiking, and swimming. The indoor/outdoor pool and Jacuzzis were nice, not large, but not a problem unless there is a big crowd. Our only disappointment with our stay was that we could not use the pool the morning before checking out as it was closed for maintenance. I believe it would have been better to have closed the pool earlier the evening before (it is open until midnight) for maintenance than to close it between 9 and noon in the morning when more people are wanting to use it on a hot day. One other piece of advice for management...there needs to be a staff member assisting guests with the paddle boats. My husband had to "rescue" a man and his son who could not get their paddle boat back to the dock. Someone needs to be there to help pull the paddle boats back up to the dock and hold them still while guests get on or off of them.

I would definitely come to Stonewall resort again. The best time to come, in my opinion, is during the week (as long as there are not a large number of conferences scheduled.) It was relatively quiet and peaceful and my husband and I very much enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: June 2007
6  Thank pjrichard
Reviewed June 6, 2007

This was our second weekend getaway to Stonewall Resort and the food left more than a bad taste in our mouths. There are only three restaurant options on this property and no nearby local restaurants (no vending machines in site) so, when the resort's food options fail you--what is a person to do? We had one negative experience one night when we waited over one hour for a simple order and it was served cold. I had to chase the server down to ask that it be warmed and you would have thought I would have asked her to swim the lake. This was obviously a huge imposition for her and she very rudely dumped the semi-rewarmed food at our table. We never saw her again and had to go to the front desk to ask for our check. Prices at the only bar on sight are very high so, be prepared.

If you want to pay premium prices to wait an hour for cold food and then be treated in such a rude manner -- you are going to right place
if you stay here. I wrote Stonewall's Management a letter about our poor experience and how we would have checked out that evening if they had not had a two night minimum that weekend because, I was so furious and I have never received a response. As a native of WV I had hoped to alert them to their problems so, that they could correct
them. I do not like to see one of my state's resorts leave such a poor impression on it guests, as it did for us. I never received a response.

The lodge and its rooms are basic and clean. Lake view is not really lake view. In the summer the view is of a bunch of trees that need to
be trimmed or cut down in order to see the lake. It would be nice to see the lodge be more accomodating to guests traveling with their boats after all, this is a lake resort. Somewhere, to dock them overnight would nice similar to what their campground offers.

Stonewall Resort is a beautiful mountain resort especially, in the summer and fall and it is clean. However, our advice is bring your own food, especially snacks. Be prepared to pay high prices for limited food options and don't expect much in return. If you have a problem, you are on your own!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple