“Nice place for a couple of drinks”

Mountain State Brewing Co.
Ranked #2 of 7 things to do in Thomas
Reviewed June 4, 2017

It looks closed from the front, but go around back.
My wife and I visited over Memorial Day Weekend. It's a neat little place that seems to have been repurposed from another business.
We were greeted immediately and welcomed to sit at the bar.The bar seats were cool looking hand made two-person benches.
The bartender was friendly and accommodating, answering our questions and offering advice. She also mentioned sangria - as my wife is not much for beer.
We had a couple of snack-style paninis while we drank - they didn't knock our socks off, but they weren't a waste of money, either.
The beer was good - I had the stout and the blond ale. Both had appropriate mouthfeel and body - without the citrusy tang so common among microbrews.
My favorite part of the visit, though, was the small whisky collection. Specifically, I had a dram of Lagavulin scotch for......get ready.....$7.00! Not a typo. Seven. Dollars.
SO the visit was a success and I would go again.

Date of experience: May 2017
2  Thank Chris M

Reviewed April 18, 2017 via mobile

Every summer for nearly 30 years, our large group of wvu friends who now live all over the country returns to wv to visit for a long weekend. While many traditions have been established on this annual trip, one for a few of us is to visit Mountain State Brewery on a warm afternoon. The garage doors are rolled up, the breeze is blowing through, and staff even remembers us year to year. There's usually a musician on the small stage which adds even more "cool" to our day. The beer is very good. Cold Trail Ale has been one of my favorites for years and it tastes especially great when sipped from a small mason jar as it is served here. Speaking of traditions, we brought our kids when they were little and they loved just hanging out and playing foosball there. Most of them now are over 21 and have joined in the beer drinking themselves. Mountain State Brewery is a family affair and we will always go back. I'd give it ten stars if I could.

Date of experience: April 2017
4  Thank ZippyZZZ
Reviewed October 17, 2016

We really wanted this place to be great. We love local and craft breweries, so we went in ready for some good WV beer action. The tasting room is very rustic and small, almost like a dive bar, but that's totally fine. The brewery was also in the middle of a major expansion when we were there. The staff was great, but unfortunately we found all the beers boring and lacking in character. We tried everything on tap and left a bit disappointed. I personally think there are better brewery options in the area, but if you love beer, it's worth a visit. We could always be wrong! We'd try it again on our return regardless.

Date of experience: June 2016
Reviewed June 27, 2016 via mobile

Great beers and love the atmosphere. Make sure you check their hours before you stop in, because they are not open every day.

Date of experience: May 2016
See more reviews
Reviewed May 29, 2016 via mobile

Difficult to find, though right of the highway. It is a classic microbrewery with a little chaos going on. The bar is tight but cozy. There is a back room where a band was setting up to play. It appears they are still kind of figuring out how they want to set up, or they never quite finished. Adds to the ambience. You come here for their beers, which only makes sense to me. Why would you drive here for a Miller Lite or Sierra Nevada when you can get those anywhere. A unique place that won't disappoint.

Date of experience: May 2016