“Don’t look at the website your be Fooled!”

Mountain State Brewing Co.
Ranked #2 of 7 things to do in Thomas
Reviewed August 9, 2018 via mobile

Visiting the area. Looking for cool place grab a beer and food. Checked the website before driving 30 min. Menu looked great. We walked into a very uninvited dark room. Place looked closed. Bartender handed us a menu with grilled cheeses and pretzels. Ok I guess we can stay and still have a beer and kids have the grill cheese. Grill cheese was not good. Pretzel I can break a window with it. I would say skip it. Beer was good.

Date of experience: August 2018

Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

Today, 8/4/18 was a great day for trekking over to Blackwater Falls State Park. It was also fortunate because the weather was great and the National Championship for Irish Road Bowling was being held.

Thomas is the HQ where Mt. State started. Recently, they had expanded the facility. So, I was hoping the food service and area was part of that expansion. It was not.

The McHenry location serves the same beer, has a restaurant space, and many more food offerings including some great flatbreads. As a mug club member in McHenry, I like their beer. But, the Thomas location is a big disappointment.

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed July 9, 2018

First time in area, arrived later in evening, close to closing time; the 3 of us loved the brewery environment and even more so when our BarTender, Heather told us not to worry about the closing time; she would stay over if we wanted some food.
Had some of their great beers; and Heather made some very enjoyable sandwiches for our visit.
The beer is excellent and made a better experience by the staff.
Definitely a place to return with more time before closing.

Date of experience: July 2018
1  Thank terrymR3609FK
Reviewed July 13, 2017

I want this place to be a great brewery - the people are so nice, and the space is fun. There's a small, wood-filled bar area, which is cozy and cute but also usually has a radio blasting.

The more open space, off in another room, has big garage doors that open to the outside, and picnic tables with fresh flowers on them. Quite nice, for hanging out and playing cards while you drink.

But two visits over two years have taught us that the beer is mediocre at best. However, the mead they make is really excellent. I was never a mead person, but MSB has converted me!

Date of experience: July 2017
2  Thank SwimmingBears
See more reviews
Reviewed June 4, 2017

It looks closed from the front, but go around back.
My wife and I visited over Memorial Day Weekend. It's a neat little place that seems to have been repurposed from another business.
We were greeted immediately and welcomed to sit at the bar.The bar seats were cool looking hand made two-person benches.
The bartender was friendly and accommodating, answering our questions and offering advice. She also mentioned sangria - as my wife is not much for beer.
We had a couple of snack-style paninis while we drank - they didn't knock our socks off, but they weren't a waste of money, either.
The beer was good - I had the stout and the blond ale. Both had appropriate mouthfeel and body - without the citrusy tang so common among microbrews.
My favorite part of the visit, though, was the small whisky collection. Specifically, I had a dram of Lagavulin scotch for......get ready.....$7.00! Not a typo. Seven. Dollars.
SO the visit was a success and I would go again.

Date of experience: May 2017