“Another Great Visit!”

The Greenbrier
New Kent, Virginia
“Another Great Visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

This was about our 6th visit to the Greenbrier and once again, we loved it! This was our first spring visit. As before, our room was lovely and comfortable.....both my husband and I love the beds.....so comfortable and soothing to our cranky backs. We arrived about 2:30PM and were checked in immediately. The bellman delivered our bags to the room in a snap. We ordered a large bucket of ice, which delivered promptly, and had a toast to our weekend away. As on previous visits, we dined at Prime 44, which was delicious. I love the mushroom tart (vegaterian) and my hubby likes the strip steak. Dinner, drinks and one salad was about $150, which was expected and totally worth it. Service was excellent! We enjoyed the delicious breakfast buffet two mornings......love the delicious, fresh fruit, quiche, mini pumpkin and apple muffins. Oh and did I mention bread pudding and the complimentary smoothie. I do miss the omlett station they used to have however. Service @ the breakfast buffet was extraordinary. Spring flowers were bountiful on the property and we enjoyed taking long walks and shooting a few photos. We have enjoyed the bunker tour, house tour and property tour on previous visits....all are excellent by the way. We always enjoy the casino and find the dealers, floor attendants and drink servers to be very friendly and accommodating in every respect. I always review our account status via the TV before checking out at the desk. Check out with Sarah was quick and pleasant. We highly recommend the Greenbrier Resort and look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: We like rooms away from the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ettavau

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
Staunton, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

The salmon BLT was amazing. They also had exceptional sweet potato fries.

1 Thank BeachLoversLane
Staunton, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the Greenbrier. The first night we didn't sleep very well. The first reason was the mattress was so lumpy and uncomfortable that I couldn't wait to get out of bed in the morning. Also, the train whistle blew throughout the entire night right outside our window. The second night I decided to use earplugs to try and help block the train whistle. Unfortunately, it was a Friday night and for some reason a large number of children and teens had checked in with their families. We literally had people running up and down the hallways, calling to each other and banging doors until 3am. A little after 2am we had someone start rattling our doorknob trying to get in the room. They stopped after a few attempts but then came back about 10 minutes later...right after we had started to doze off again. My husband had to get up and tell them to go away because that they had the wrong room. It was a young teen who obviously didn't remember their room number. Where were the parents at 2 am??? Considering the room was a couple hundred dollars a night, we were shocked that we felt like we were sleeping at a cheap rundown motel. We even checked out several hours early Saturday morning because we were so tired that we just wanted to get home.

On a positive note, the spa was AMAZING!!! I've been to several spas around the world and this was by far the best. Both my hot stone massage and facial were worth every single penny.

The food was also very good. We enjoyed our dinner at the Prime 44 West steakhouse the most. Everything was superb and the service was excellent. I highly recommend the Salmon BLT at Drapers. It was one of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten.

The Bunker Tour was interesting, but a little pricey for what you get to see. Of course, the entire Hotel is pricey. The property is very ornate and lovely. If it hadn't been for the lack of sleep, we would have had a thoroughly enjoyable time and would want to go back. Unfortunately, we have no desire to return and spend the night.

Room Tip: Our room was on the front left side as you face the main entrance. The train whistle was exceptional...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BeachLoversLane
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

It was easy to discuss my food allergies with the staff and they did a good job of handling it. As usual, more choices would be nice, but overall it was good. We did have to eat dinner here 2 nights in a row because so many of the Greenbrier restaurants were closed.

1 Thank CynVA
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

It would have been nice to know that most of the restaurants were closed when we were booking the trip. Our room was much smaller than our first visit, but still nice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CynVA
WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

My bestie and I went for a girl's weekend 4/20/2012. Her husband actually bought the spa weekend for her 40th birthday. I had never been there but it was spectacular. I loved every second there. The staff is wonderful. We had the Greenbrier spa package, Marcia did my mani and pedi, she was awesome. Holli did my spa treatment, she was awesome.
The food was great, the casino was fun, the resort is just a great experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lah3152
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Superp course, wide enough for a hack like me to have a good time and challenging enough to lose a couple of balls. The greens are faster than a speeding bullet so unless you are used to playing these caliber of courses I suggest you practice putting before you tee off.

Also consider these accommodations in or near White Sulphur Springs
11.2 km away
Super 8 Lewisburg
Super 8 Lewisburg
#6 of 7 in Lewisburg

Been to The Greenbrier? Share your experiences!