New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Sunshine Lodge

Sunshine Lodge
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Williamstown
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Avoid this hotel at all cost worst experience!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

This is the worst hotel I ever stayed at. The manger is rude. The manager will quote you a price over the phone and change the price when you arrive. The place has a odd odor.
The pictures of the rooms and entrance on the web site are very deceiving.
The Indian hotel owners definitely need a lesson in customer service.
The breakfast is very limited the milk in the pantry was in a gallon jug and expired 3 days ago.
Noisy atmosphere at night when you are trying to sleep. You will regret spending a night at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
22 Thank Denise S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

This used to be a Days Inn in its better day. Room smelled kinda bad but it was huge. Toilet was a problem, took 20 min for the tank to fill up. Other than that for the price it was okay. Cheapest hotel we could find.

• Stayed October 2011
15 Thank rskinnett
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

great customer service,always was greated with a smile when asked a question.room was clean an it felt more spacious not a bad deal for $50

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank josh_h46
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

I was here for the Fenton Glass Convention. This was my first time stay here in this town. Before I booked a room, I had read the reviews here for this hotel and was kind of scared to book a room but I have been traveling since last 18 years, and I have stayed in many hotels for business and pleasure. I always come to tripadvisor to read reviews about hotels, and to tell you the truth they are not always accurate. So I took my chance and called a hotel to book my room for a week. They charged me $69.98/night for 2 adults which was better than any other hotel in that area. This was the cheapest I could find. So I went ahead and booked a room thinking if for some reason I don't like the place I will check out and stay somewhere else. When I went to check in everything seemed fine. The front desk clerk was very nice. He helped me to take my luaggage in the room. Room was extremly clean and spotless. Housekeepers did an awesome job I must say. The good thing about this hotel was that it was only less than a mile away from fenton glass factory. I really enjoyed my stay here and will always come back when I am around town. Keep up the good work guys.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Jason F
Chica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

This has to be one of the worst hotels ever, It's hard to believe Days Inn ever put their name on it. No wonder it changed to a Magnuson. We checked in and apparently they have no set price because the Indian guy at the front desk stammered and stuttered about the price. I asked the girl at the front desk the next morning and she said that the owner has told them to rate how the customer looks before quoting a price, she also said there is no set price! How outrageous, what a way to do business! I will never stay there again, the room was filthy, the towels were stained, and my 'non-smoking' room smelled of stale smoke. There is a nice little restaurant called the Pantry right next to it. They had very good food for a great price. This unfortunately was the highlight of my stay in Williamstown! There was another couple that was staying at the hotel that night as well, that happened to be eating in the restaurant next door. They were also commenting about how bad the hotel was, especially the room. This hotel is VERY outdated looking. These Indian hotel owners definitely need a lesson in customer service, and American customs. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
19 Thank dannydude

Travellers are raving about these Williamstown hotels

South Egremont, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2010

This place is very convenient to the airport and has a nice country style restaurant next door.
It is VERY tired with holes in the carpet, dirty tub, paint drips, etc.......

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Rstan
Clemmons, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2009

Being from Marietta, I've traveled there several times a year for the past 40 years, but June 2008 was my first experience at this facility, and after our most recent stay, it will be my last. In 2008 we reserved two non-smoking rooms (one with a dog). Our daughter's family stayed 2 nights, and we stayed 3. Upon check-in, the front desk had trouble finding our reservation. Then I was given quite a lecture about not smoking in our room or allowing our little dog in the room where our grandchildren were staying, reason being that they had to "thoroughly clean any room where a dog has been" (but do we really believe they actually do that?!!) Our very responsible 11-year-old granddaughter wanted to use the exercise room, but it was locked (to keep children out we were told). When they let her and her mother in, they felt like they were being watched to make sure they didn't break anything.

Just last week, we opted to stay there again since their rates were cheaper than those on the Ohio side of the river. However, with tax and a dog, we still paid $64.98 per night for a total of $167.00 (AARP rate) for two nights for a smoking room, and even though there were few other guests, we were given a room on the 2nd floor as far from the office as we could be. (I had an outfit that I would like to have pressed, but to get an ironing board, I would've had to drag one upstairs from the office.) I told the check-in clerk that the stairs were difficult for us and that we would just take a non-smoking room on the 1st floor, but he didn't seem to have one. At breakfast two days later, I was discussing my displeasure about the location of our room with another guest who had a serious breathing problem, and the breakfast room attendant took our conversation straight to the owner who called and offered to let us stay free that night for our inconvenience, but we already had reservations in Amish country, and, of course, he didn't extend that offer for another date. At check-out, I also asked about the credits on our bill for the long distance calls I had made to Marietta and was told that they gave free long distance to "regular guests." (For calls other than to Marietta which are actually local calls, I used a calling card.) I told the owner that we would be back on Sun. on our way to North Carolina, and he assured me that we would have a 1st floor room even if we used a coupon from one of the travel books. Well, upon check-in with a $44.98 coupon, I was told that "the coupon rooms" were only on the 2nd floor!! I balked and did get one on the 1st. I also made a 7 min. call to Lowell, Ohio, that I would have used my calling card for had I known that I was going to be charged $9.71 for it!! By now, I'm thinking that the owner just makes up the rules as he goes. When I told him this, he rudely said that maybe I should just stay somewhere else from now on......and I will. On Friday, I accidently left a freezer pack in the refrig, but, of course, no one had seen it when we returned on Sunday. Then, sadly, I left a pair of favorite gold earrings on the bathroom counter, and now those are gone, too. The beds were comfortable and the bathrooms clean, but having traveled extensively in my 65 years, I feel qualified to speak my mind about these incidents, and may I suggest that you book your reservations early and just pay a few more dollars to stay on the Ohio side of the river in Marietta!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
12 Thank rivergirl65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Williamstown
3.1 km away
2.7 km away
BEST WESTERN PLUS Marietta Hotel
3.1 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Marietta

Been to Sunshine Lodge? Share your experiences!