Blacksmith Inn On the Shore
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Baileys Harbor
See available hotels
Beachfront Inn(Baileys Harbor)
View Hotel
Maxwelton Braes Lodge(Baileys Harbor)
View Hotel
Kangaroo Lake Resort(Baileys Harbor)
  • Beachfront
Parkwood Lodge(Fish Creek)
View Hotel
All reviewsharbor housezahn housegranolacookiesb bhomemade muffinsmy husband and ihard boiled eggsdoor countyhammock on the balconypaddle boardslake michiganthird floorour honeymoonwhirlpool tubbed and breakfasthot cider
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 August 2017

We stayed at your Inn on Thursday, August 24 - our first time. We LOVED it! We come to the peninsula several times a year, but usually stay on the "loud/busy" side. We wanted to try the "quiet" side for a change. Your attention to detail for our comfort was quite evident: ho-made cookies, cold, fresh LEMONAIDE when we came back from dinner with ice, no less. We love antiques and admired every piece of furniture in our room. As I looked at the knicks and scratches, I tried to envision what these pieces have seen/endured during their past lives - so much personality and warmth. The floors were warm and WIDE boards! I'd like to know more about them some day. The pillows were excellent as was the bed. The view, the fireplace (which we needed very early in the norning as I left the outside door ajar a little too long during the night); the bathroom soaps/lotions and a MAKE-UP towel!! This is the first time in my life, I've had the luxury of a mirror in the bathroom that I could pick up to look at the back of my hair/head when combing it!! Breakfast was excellent: melon balls, organic oatmeal that we use at home; ho-made granola, muffins, hard boiled BROWN eggs with little cheeses; excellent coffee and even my flavored cream! Somehow, your tan paper napkins even looked "cozier" than white ones. I felt comfortable going out to get my breakfast in my jammie. YIKES! Did I die and go to heaven? No...I was at The Blacksmith Inn. Thank you for your instinctive thought and insight into your guests needs. Sam was also very helpful. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2017

Spontaneous trip to Door Country left us scrambling for a room on a very busy summer weekend recently. Hadn't previously spent a lot of time on the Lake Michigan/east/quiet side of Door County. We were able to get a room #7, top floor. We hadnt stayed in a B&B before. We usually condo or hotel it but our stay there has made converts out of us. Wonderful historic old building with large well decorated and appointed rooms with stunning views of the harbor. Private balcony with chairs and a hammock. Room had binoculars and wildlife reference books, They provide adult bikes including 1 tandem, kayaks and stand up paddle boards for the guests to use down at the private dock. I could go on and on. Sunday morning there was a Farmers Market across the street. Yes, per some other reviews here, it's not a big over the top breakfast like some B&Bs but more a light continental but we enjoyed it. If you want a big breakfast, there are lots of options in town. We found the couple and their sons that run it super friendly and very helpful. Took their advice on dinner and went to Chive. Excellent meal. Relaxing walkable quiet little town. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Beautiful well maintained bed and breakfast on the lake. Coffee is always available and they provide a nice continental breakfast. They provide paddle boards kayaks and bikes. I believe all rooms have lake views and whirlpool tubs.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2017

There are so many things to love about the Blacksmith Inn, and just a few things that could use improvement.

Breakfast:
This was tough for us because we eat a very low carb diet. We didn't give in to the pastries and baked goods, though they looked delicious. The goat milk yogurt was higher in carbs than we usually eat, but was very good and creamy. They did offer berries (low in carbs) on some days. We splurged on the homemade granola, which is delicious.
Suggestion:
Start earlier. By 8 am, when breakfast began, we were eager to get out and start our day. If starting earlier isn't an option, then maybe offer a grab-and-go breakfast for those who want to leave and get the day started. 8 is very late. We found out after we got home that we could have requested breakfast the night before and kept it in our fridge. Maybe that needs to be something guests are told when they check in? We will do this next time.

Room and bathroom:
Our room in the Harbor House (larger, newer building) was gorgeous and very comfortable. A garden tub takes up a lot of space, but I did use the tub one evening after a very chilly and rainy day, and I can see how it would be especially useful during colder months. Our room included a view of the lake, a wardrobe with plenty of storage and supplies like binoculars, and a couple of chairs. The bathroom was rather small, and the shower was tiny. The shower stall was so small that I couldn't (without getting too personal) shave my legs or take a shower without getting my hair wet. We did like that one of us could shower and the other could use the sink at the same time. There was also a nice ledge around the sink where we could set our stuff. Based on our stays at B&Bs in the past, the bathroom was about what we expected. Baths in hotels are normally much larger.
Suggestion: One simply fix to the small shower would be to install a hand shower head that hangs so the person can take it down and spray his/her body without having to stand right underneath of it. We are not large people and each of us had to stand still in one spot and get wet hair whether we wanted it or not - I can't imagine a large person trying to use that shower.

Grounds:
Part of the appeal of a B&B is the whole area. The Blacksmith Inn has a nice yard, a reasonably sized parking lot, and a building full of bikes. The real draw, though, is the lake. There's a trail down to the water and a very nice dock with chairs. We went out on nice evenings and enjoyed a cup of coffee, and others went out in the mornings.
Suggestion: One aspect that was incredibly disappointing was the deck. The Harbor House is advertised as having roofed decks. It does have decks, but they are not solid like a roof. One day while we were there it rained a lot. We were so looking forward to returning from shopping to sit on our deck and have a glass of wine. But when we arrived, we quickly realized that the rain was pouring through the deck above us (which was our roof), and then through our deck to the one below. In other words, no one can use their decks when it rains. They are like a series of 2X4s and the rain comes right through the cracks. One solution might be to fill in between the slats of wood or to tarp the top deck. The deck on the main floor isn't covered at all, so all of us has to squeeze into the one-room lobby for breakfast the day it rained. It was very uncomfortable.

Staff:
People who stay here don't tend to want to be bothered, which is a good thing, because the owners hardly talked to us. We didn't take offense. It seemed more like they wanted us to have a peaceful time. They answered questions when we asked and generally left us alone.
Suggestion: When we first checked in, the young man who was working was very unfriendly. (Andy, Adam, something like that?) My husband asked a few questions, and each time the man became more short with us, almost like he didn't want to be bothered. I did tell my husband privately that the man wasn't a concierge and he needed to stop asking so many questions. But we saw the same man in two different coffee shops over the course of the week and he looked us in the eye and wouldn't smile or say hello. We certainly weren't going to bother him on his time off, but a simple hello would have been nice. Weird. I guess my suggestion is to try to be just a bit more friendly.

Despite the criticisms and suggestions, this is truly a very nice place to stay. It's pricey, but it's worth it. Perhaps the best thing is that they do NOT allow kids! It was the most peaceful vacation we've had in years. We are empty nesters and do not tolerate kids well on vacation. The Blacksmith Inn was the perfect, quiet, peaceful getaway that we needed. We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms in Harbor House have view of lake
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Even before we arrived we loved this place. Joan and Bryan were the most thoughtful hosts and sent us a welcome email with a few suggestions on places to visit if we arrived early.

We had booked Room 5 and found the most charming, spotlessly clean room with a stunning view over the lake. There were so many thoughtful touches included in the room, from binoculars to enjoy the views, books, chocolates and Adirondack chairs on our private balcony. If you're active, and have the time, the Blacksmith Inn offers bikes and kayaks - we were lazy and just sat by the lake listening to the water lapping on the shore...blissful! Breakfast was simple but tasty with endless cups of coffee, OJ, fresh croissants, granola, yoghurt and fruit.

All the staff were super friendly and we would highly recommend staying at the Inn.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple