“Another astounding stay at Canoe Bay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Canoe Bay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chetek
Canoe Bay
Ranked #1 of 2 Chetek B&B and Inns
Park Ridge, IL
“Another astounding stay at Canoe Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

We have visited Canoe Bay many times over the years and yet every time we return we are excited about the prospect of another stay and delighted by the overall sense of calm and comfort at this wonderful retreat. in addition, the dining experience is among the best there is, anywhere.
We cannot recommend Canoe Bay too highly -- it's the ideal couples retreat in the Midwest.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JimParkRidge_IL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
St. Paul, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

My wife and I celebrated 25 years of marriage with a trip to Canoe Bay. We stayed (three nights) in the Heavenly Suite and our entire trip, from our arrival to our departure, was heavenly. Canoe Bay is definitely a luxury destination, but its luxury is pleasantly understated. All of the service was quiet and efficient. The physical setting is wonderful. The resort is nestled on the shore of a small lake. The architecture of the buildings is inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright’s prairie school sensibilities. The collected, but isolated (private) accommodations were as beautiful inside as they were out. The landscape is equally stunning. There are several hiking paths, a guest garden with a bubbling brook, and a rather large organic garden used to grow some of the impressive offerings in the restaurant. And the food!! Where to start? The food was the highlight of the trip. Initially, I was reluctant about the idea of a price (on the high side) fixed chef’s menu. What if we did not like what was slated to be served for dinner? What if the food wasn’t any good? I need not have worried. The three meals we enjoyed were all excellent. Fresh ingredient were cooked to perfection and served in a fine dining room with excellent service. The wine list was compact, but extremely adequate. What a treat! With the price that Canoe Bay charges, we had high expectations. We were not disappointed. The place touched our souls. In the intervening weeks since our stay, I find myself thinking again and again about our time at Canoe Bay. It is a surprisingly special place to find in the wilds of northern Wisconsin. I’m not going to wait 25 years to return again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rwebbmn
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

I tried to make reservations over the phone due to the fact that a storm passed through my neighborhood our internet wasn't working. I called and a Susan [-] answered the phone and I advised her of my business. She said that they were very busy and that she couldn't help me at this time and referred me to use the internet. I advised her that I was unable to do so and when should I expect to receive a return call to make my reservations. Her response was rude as it I was bothering her and thus I advised that I understand and that if she didn't want my business that I would take it elsewhere. She then laughed briefly and say "BYE" in a sarcastic way hanging the phone up on me before I got a chance to ask to speak to a supervisor. I called back and asked to speak to the owner of the property and she refused o give me that information. I asked to speak to her supervisor she said one wasn't available. So before you book your stay here I would be very leary. Imagine if you have a problem but they are too busy to assist you. I would suggest going elsewhere to all that are interested staying here. I guess Susan has job security for being NASTY to people over the phone.

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Katrina101
LisaDobro, Owner at Canoe Bay, responded to this review, 25 June 2011
Thank you for your comments. I am so terribly sorry for the misunderstanding that you experienced. Certainly we are very concerned to provide timely--and preferably immediate-- responses to all callers, and have a fairly elaborate system in place to prevent any calls from going unanswered. However in this case, most unfortunately, our system missed the mark. I am glad for the chance to apologize here, as I was also able to do via phone within the hour of the call mentioned. This thoughtful criticism has led us to revisit and further improve our “peak hours” call management strategies, and I am confident that callers will consistently find our responsiveness excellent.
--Lisa Dobrowolski, Owner
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2011

For perfection, romance, peacefulness, fabulous food, elegance and true nature. Six hours from Chicago- we arrived and fell in love with the architecture, the cabins with huge window and balconies over the lake, fireplaces, the best beds, jacuzzi for two and amazing Frank Lloyd architecture. You feel all alone but so well taken care of- every detail is thought about, even the breads from home ground flour and vegetables etc from their huge garden.Walking on the trails and coming upon a deer with babies was a pleasant surprise and even the day it rained we curled up in the living room, put on a fire and watched a movie from their huge collection. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Every room/cabin is different all are fabulous
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judi S
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

The Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired lodging (Treetop Cottage, our fave) was worth the price alone... harmony, peace, beauty in every detail; the ultimate in privacy, with breakfasts and lunches left outside one's entry, and 3-course suppers at the nearby dining room. Pristine natural setting with an awe-inspiring view of the lake; landscaping with native plants a balm for the soul; nooks like the library, workout space, sitting room at the Inn... and woodland trails. We found ourselves in this perfect, private bubble the whole time we were there, able to read and write and ramble... and take joy in each other's company, all of it an easy 2-hour drive from Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Room Tip: Treetop Cottage has great privacy and view.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tuniemb
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

Perhaps the best thing about Canoe Bay is the feeling you get from the staff and owners. They are relaxed, gracious, and generous. The dinner was outstanding from start to finish. As was the service from the moment we arrived. The rooms are incredibly clean and the Frank Lloyd Wright inspired architecture is stunning. Canoe Bay is worth every penny.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

We chose to spend a weekend at Canoe Bay to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We had a wonderful time. We stayed in one of the stand alone "Dream" cottages and dreamy it was. Canoe Bay exceeded all of our expectations and I would highly recommend it. It stands out for many reasons - superb food, clean, incredibly comfortable cottage, helpful, friendly and respectful staff and beautiful, private surroundings. We can't say enough about this resort - well worth the splurge. We look forward to returning to experience it (maybe in a different season).

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chetek
12.8 km away
BEST WESTERN Inn
#1 of 7 in Rice Lake
31.3 km away
Gathering Place Resort & Lodge

Been to Canoe Bay? Share your experiences!