All reviews steam shower lakeside cottage organic garden breakfasts and lunches small lake breakfast delivered prairie style fireplace room catch and release view of the lake relaxing getaway peace and quiet private deck adirondack chairs twin cities northern wisconsin anniversary weekend
Reviewed July 6, 2009

When my husband and I take a weekend getaway, we want it to be just that - a true place to get away. We also like the experience of the outdoors, but aren't too fond of the "roughing it" part. That brings me to our recent weekend adventure. After three nights at Canoe Bay, I fear our other future travels will have a hard time measuring up.

It starts from the scenic drive as you pass through the charming town of Chetek and onto a beautiful country road, arriving a few minutes later at the curving wooded driveway into the resort. What a lovely welcome at the reception area!! You are greeted by a gorgeous Prairie-style inspired cedar building w/a magnificent garden and water feature - the air smells great when you step out of the car and you immediately start to relax. Check-in is a breeze - you likely won't see any other guests - and you are warmly whisked away to your accommodations.

As for the rooms - all I can say is fabulous. There are a range of choices (and a range of prices) but even the smallest room is fully equipped w/a jacuzzi, fireplace, shower, king bed, down comforter, 600-thread-count linen, flat screen TV w/DVD, outdoor sitting area, robes, and much more. It was spotlessly clean as well with abundant towels and even a delicious welcome gift of mixed nuts/berries and complimentary bottled water. We were in heaven.

But, one of the best parts is the quiet - it is SO peaceful - SO beautiful. We saw numerous deer on the property throughout our stay and the only sound is the chirping of birds and the breeze through the trees.

I was a bit worried we might get restless or bored, but neither happened. We spent our days either fishing - we literally caught a fish each time we cast off as it was a very well-stocked lake with some hungry fish - or canoeing (provided by the resort) or on nature walks or sleeping, reading and watching movies.

I know others have mentioned the on site library - what a great space. Literally hundreds of books organized by interest (history, travel, politics, etc.) My husband had his nose stuck in a Lincoln book all weekend. Not only is the architecture of this building fabulous, but they also provide coffee, tea, hot chocolate all day. Soft classical plays in the background and there is a computer w/internet access in the loft.

We loved the breakfast deliverd each day - such a nice touch and very good quality (great coffee). The only minor disappointment was the evening meal - this truly comes down to personal preference, so please take these comments in that spirit. While the quality was excellent (fresh, lovely ingredients made with care) my husand and I felt the meal was overpriced and honestly more complicated than it needed to be. It's a limited menu with a California/French - spa cuisine feel - smaller portions, use of organic ingredients, long, drawn-out service. The food was rather plain (i.e., bland, broiled fish w/no sauce or flavor). We have had those kinds of meals many times before - lovely presentation, but give us a great chicken or pasta dish any day (and keep the sorbet palate cleanser and watermelon soup ambuse-bouche). Without any alcohol, the tab was $75 per person - we had 2 glasses of champagne and were close to $200. Service was very good.

Overall, I can't say enough wonderful things about this experience - how great that one can get all the benefits of an outdoor experience and have a great night sleep in luxurious accommodations. We will absolutely be back again and again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank myboo
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Everything we thought it would be and more! From the moment we arrived and got upgraded to Dream cabin we knew it was well worth the money. Service and food incredible. We were looking for a weekend to reconnect with each other and relax and that's what we got. We spent three nights here. Went hiking every morning on their hiking paths as bugs were not out yet the second weekend in June. Canoed around the lake and saw two tiny fawns. Highly recommended. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KandE_Hen
Reviewed June 23, 2009

The person who rated "Canoe Bay" as "the worst" is confused and was obviously at a different Canoe Bay than the Canoe Bay at 16065 Hogsback Road. Your site should screen these comments when they are erroneous. The restaurant at the Hogsback Road Canoe Bay is comparable to the finest in the Country. The writer also describes the stay as a "family" trip: further confirming he or she is describing a different place. Children ( and pets) are not allowed at Canoe Bay. Sullying the reputation of this tremendous inn by error should be an embarrassment to your web site.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mountaineer1952
Reviewed April 13, 2009

I stayed at canoe bay for three days. The web sit stated there was a resturant (lies, none). I spoke to the managment he told me "that is not true, it says self serve kitchen" meaning you must have your own food and cook. It is located around nothing. At night it become very quite and very very dark. It is difficult to get a cab to drive you back there. Everyone in my family felt uncomfortable and unsafe. Everyone we spoke to was very suprise that we were staying there, but no one said why. One guy said if someone come bake there and kill you no one will know until morning. Well that is what happen there. I found this after doing my research. DO NOT STAY AT CANOE BAY HUNTED HOTEL!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank 9SMUN
Reviewed November 18, 2008

My wife and I stayed @ Canoe Bay over the weekend of November 8-9, 2008. Out intention was to get out of town without our kids for some serious R&R and decompression. Canoe Bay provided just the escape we needed. Top notch accomodations and service, extremely private, secluded, tranquil and quiet. My only beef, if any, was that the dinner didn't quite live up to our high expectations based on the price and what the resort delivered everywhere else.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple