All reviewssteam showerlakeside cottageorganic gardenbreakfasts and lunchessmall lakebreakfast deliveredprairie stylefireplace roomcatch and releaseview of the lakerelaxing getawaypeace and quietprivate deckadirondack chairstwin citiesnorthern wisconsinanniversary weekend
Reviewed April 7, 2010

I read the reviews and the hotel looked very good although expensive, I can't rate the hotel as we did not stay there. I have stayed at numerous 5 star hotels and all have offered great service as well as facilities. At Canoe Bay, I called to get a reservation for 4 rooms in the fall for a family reunion. The call was never returned. I called again and talked to the group reservations manager whom I believe is also an owner. I was told that she would send me a proposal that morning and no later than that afternoon. It has been three days and still no proposal.
Needless to say, we will not be spending our money at Canoe Bay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank AirdaleUSMC
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I am not certain what it is I am missing about this resort but since returning I have struggled with the excellent reviews it receives. The food was some of the worst I have ever had. Between my husband and myself we sent our tenderloin back three times and finally gave up. He ate his raw, I used the microwave in the room. The next evening another totally uneventful meal. Be prepared for one and only one choice for dinner. The second night was room service so we did get to eat later than 7:15. Room service is delivered once the main dining room is taken care of. The only reason I can think that they put a price of $75.00 on the meal is to collect the mandatory 20% tip. Trust me the rest of the meal is no better than the entree. Once in the room expect to walk to the front desk for anything you need. (Including ice) Cell phones do not work and there is no way to communicate with the front desk. Breakfast (eggs) was about as ordinary and tasteless as they come. If you want to sleep in and get breakfast prepare to have it delivered no later than 9:15. No getting up when you want and oredering when you want. The baked goods were good, however. If you do not drink wine expect a beer selection worse than the corner bar. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served according to their hours, Prepare to pre plan your meal times. The attraction must be the up north feel, stand alone cottages, some with car ports. Nice bedding and sheets, etc. but frankly for their price point, all the above should be standard. I still am having difficulty understanding how they can charge what they do and we did not pay rack rate. But the other reviews rave about the place so it must be me. Maybe this is because of having the opportunity to stay at other resorts both large and small with the same or higher price point and having service be superior. Do not order flowers, our charge was $100.00 for about $20.00 worth of flowers. Extremely high even for florist prices. My husband had specifically requested "different or unusual" flowers. Other than for a yellow flower nothing unusual in this arrangement. Nicely arranged however. The other thing I do not understand is they asked if we were celebrating a special occasion. The last time we were at a hotel of this "caliber" there was a little extra in our room. Wine or a small gift basket. Not here. They must collect the information for their own marketing. I simply do not understand the rave reviews. If the price was about $350.00 a night with dinner, sure. But not what they charge. I just cannot recommend Canoe Bay unless you get a great deal.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank lassfrommn
LisaDobro, Owner at Canoe Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2010

We are dismayed and truly sorry that this couple was frustrated by certain aspects of their stay. We strive to convey all key aspects of the experience in advance and during check-in, so guests can very quickly relax and enjoy the property’s peace, quiet, beauty and comfort. The information re: the various ways to reach the Front Office has been moved to the very first page of our in-room Guest Directory. And the restaurant service charge information has been clarified; certainly it is not a mandatory fee. Our hope for every one of our guests is that they will create treasured memories here. Thank you for your feedback.
--Lisa Dobrowolski, Owner, Canoe Bay

Reviewed March 22, 2010

My husband treated me to a weekend away for my January birthday. We decided not to fly anywhere, so researched retreats within driving distance. Canoe Bay seemed to have everything we love: great food, an extensive wine list,. in-room massages, and cross country skiing, and top-notch quality in everything. So, we booked the Romance Package, and Canoe Bay did not dissapoint. The dinner and breakfast (try the oatmeal and scrambled eggs with lobster) were outstanding, eveything from the architecture to the robes and slippers wereof the best quality. And the library is stunning - we could hav spent a whole day marveling at the beautiful view through the floor to ceiling a-frame windows, and the extensive book collection. The service was impeccable: attentive, warm and inviting. A perfect place to pamper yourself for a weekend - or longer.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travel_Junky64
Reviewed March 20, 2010

We have stayed at Canoe Bay many times (we would say not enough)-our first visit was well over 10 years ago. It is hard to say enough good things about this lovely spot in the Wisconsin woods; it is a true getaway where you feel completely spoiled! Lisa and Dan have created a very special place, it is very hard for us to decide whether we like it better in the winter or the summer. We have enjoyed both seasons, love the canoes and swimming in the refreshing lake in the summer...but there is something about the winter quiet, snow, fireplace, snowshoeing, and for the first time this year, a wonderful sleigh ride through the woods!
We love the Treehouse accomodations, and have stayed in many of the houses, hard to say, but this one is our favorite! The steam shower is perfect, the view is perfect over the lake. We loved all of it! Our winter package included dinner both nights, and we know the menu will be fantastic and the portions perfect.
Again, we have booked our next stay in December, but wish we could return sooner! thanks to all of the staff for making this a very special splurge!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2010

From the assistance we received when we made our reservation, to our check-out three days later, the service we received was outstanding. This was our second trip to Canoe Bay and each time we stayed in Lookout Cottage. As the name implies, the view from the cottage is beautiful. We love the huge fireplace and the in-room hot tub. The bed is so comfortable that both times we've stayed, we've purchased a set of the sheets! Having dinner at The Inn at Canoe Bay is truly fine dining, with each course something delicious and special and we love the breakfasts delivered right to our cottage. This trip also included a sleighride through scenic woods and a snowshow hike.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple